Dish Pvr522 Glitches

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ezyemail

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
Hi, I have one DISH 522 receiver that I had installed Dec 20th 2003.

I am getting problems where its doing a master reset on its own before some timer recordings. Causing me to miss parts of a recording.

Dish has offered to replace the whole unit, but 2 friends experienced the same problem, and I also have shows on the hard drive I want to save to DVD, and I would lose them with a new receiver.

My Questions are

1. Can you send shows from the 522s Hard Drive to A DVD burner or another 522??

2.Does anyone else with the 522 experience recording problems? :confused:

Our 522 also randomly stops recording in the middle of a scheduled event or doesn't start recording a scheduled event. This occurs perhaps 5 % of the time.

Last night my 522 rebooted right at 9:00PM. It was already recording "Voyager" on Tuner 2, Tuner 1 was going to record "The Sopranos", and Tuner 2 was going to record the second episode of "Voyager". Rebooted right as the little countodnw thing got to 0:00

Sepia-toned monochrome

My 2-week old 522 keeps switching to monochrome mode when I pause. A few seconds after resuming the color comes back on. It's more of a sepia-toned monochrome than black/grey/white. Once I even saw the color disappear for a few seconds while watching a program and not hitting any buttons. Not all the time, but it goes in streaks and then it's back to normal for a while. Anybody else seen this problem? This is with v162. Makes it difficult to use the normally color-coded menus.

I've had the monochrome problem a time or two as well. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. It is very infrequent though, a minor problem for us.

Guess we are lucky, we are not having the reboot problem. Can't say I have had the 522 reboot at all while we were using it. It has also not missed a recording.

Have had audio dropouts on playback, that too has no rhyme or reason. Again, very infrequent.

I've also had the monochrome problem. It seems to manifest itself more when I am on a music CD channel and then press [guide].

I haven't found any particular cause, but it will repeat if you change channels enough between music channels.

---

My newest glitch started out as screen pixellation and a few seconds of screen freeze over the past few weeks until yesterday when it turned into 30 seconds of viewable TV and up to 2 minutes of frozen screen. No channels are exempt.

At this point, I have tried everything from a hard reboot to fix it. No solution yet. An E* advanced tech seems to think it is my LNB's on the quad. WIth an average signal strength of 104, I don't see any signal dropout. I am waiting for my installer to call this morning so he can get up and switch them out. I hope thats all it is. I would hate to lose nearly 20 movies and several DIY shows I have recorded for future projects.

ezyemail said:
My Questions are
1. Can you send shows from the 522s Hard Drive to A DVD burner or another 522??

Don't know if this thread is dead, but...

The method I use to archive 522 recorded shows to DVD is to plug TV2 into my ATI AIW video card to record shows to MPEG2, and then burn them to DVD or CDR as MPEG2 data files.

Luckily, I have a junk Apex standalone backup DVD player which will play raw MPEG2 data files on CDRs (but not DVDs) on my Home entertainment system without having to encode them into DVD VOB files or VCD/SVCD format. Most better DVD stand alones like my JVC will not even play CDRs containing raw MPEG2 files.

And NO stand alone DVD player will play these raw MPEG2 files because when a DVD is inserted, the unit's chip looks only for DVD VOB files. Failing to find them, the player will not recognize the DVD disc. Therefore, without re-encoding your files, you will probably have DVD playback for raw files only on your computer, or CDR playback only on cheap Chinese players.

I have used TMPGEnc DVD Author for DVDs and TMPGEnc Plus (for CDRs) to convert (encode) MPEG2 feeds from TV2 into DVD's and SVCD's playable thru my home entertainment system. They all look VERY superior to recording to VCR. If you use newer ATI cards and the newest MMC software you can eliminate additional DVD authoring steps.

For those with ATI AIW cards, Lordsmurf's has the best TV/DVR Capture tutorial:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/capture/atimpeg/atimpeg.htm

TV Capture tutorials for other video cards are at:

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

BatDad said:
My 2-week old 522 keeps switching to monochrome mode when I pause. A few seconds after resuming the color comes back on. It's more of a sepia-toned monochrome than black/grey/white. Once I even saw the color disappear for a few seconds while watching a program and not hitting any buttons. Not all the time, but it goes in streaks and then it's back to normal for a while. Anybody else seen this problem? This is with v162. Makes it difficult to use the normally color-coded menus.

I've never seen in this in the TV signal, but I do see it in the menu all the time. I assume it's a software problem since it's ONLY in the menu for me. (Mine actually flashes monocrome, it doesn't switch entirely)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts