Dish Re-alignment Tips?

SpencerCat

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
I cross-posted this to the DBSTalk site. I hope that's OK.

Because of problems I have mentioned in earlier threads, I'm going to have to go up on the roof and re-align my dish, hoping that that will solve my reception problems.

Dish Network said they would send someone out to do it for $49.95, but, being retired on a fixed income and being the frugal sort, I'm going to try to do the re-alignment myself.

I have installed a Dishpro Twin LNB and I have run cable, but I have never aligned a dish before, and rather than ask someone to detail here how to do it, would someone point me to a thread or a website with detailed instructions, helpful hints, etc.?

Thanks,
Richard

if you have to go up on the roof, have someone by the tv so they can see the signal meter. it might help if you use walkie talkie/cell phone so you don't have to yell. if your dish only got moved by the wind, it might not be that far off.

some others might be able to point you to a install tip. once you do it once, you will find that it is not that hard. make sure you have the lnb going straight to the receiver with no switches in between.

Three things to note:
  • BE SAFE ON THE ROOF!
  • Start by nudging it in various directions using hand pressure BEFORE loosening any bolts. This will give you a "feel" for it.
  • There's a delay between you moving the dish and the receiver's response.
  • It usually works better at first by just listening to the receiver's tones instead of having someone call numbers to you.

$49.95 is half the price of what they usually charge so your getting a discount. A local retailer may come out for cheaper though just depends on what they charge in your area. If you go to the retailer that you got it from then that is probably your best bet.

How long have you had your system? It has a warranty for six months on the installation but some retailers give a warranty for a year.

Stargazer said:
How long have you had your system? It has a warranty for six months on the installation but some retailers give a warranty for a year.

I've been with Dish for 6+ years (I know, I know, I'm a glutton for punishment). Started with a 4000, then the infamous DP7200, and now the 721, so I'm way past warranty. I'll try the re-alignment, and if I can't get it to work, then I'll go with a professional installer.

Richard

I'll second SimpleSimon's suggestion: Use light, then increasing hand pressure BEFORE loosening any bolts. Start left-right to see whether the signal improves one way or the other. Then try up-down. Note the position of the bolts before you loosen them, then go for it.

The very first thing you need to do is make sure that the mass for the satellite dish is LEVEL! If wind has blown your dish around it could have moved stuff around enough to through the mass out of level and therefore made you have weaker signal. Before you losen any bolts check to make sure everything is sitting level, that way if it is just out of level you don't have to mess with degree marks etc... This is one big reason why I don't have a Dish on my roof.

Sorry, I don't have any web sites other than http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/userguides_manuals/index.shtml at the bottom of the page it has some installation diagrams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts