DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

Hrm:
Report: Dish Network and Disney talks stalled • 2:45 PM

• Speculation in the media industry is that discussions between Dish Network (DISH -1.5%) and Disney (DIS+0.4%) over carriage fee contract extensions aren't going well.
  • There's a growing suspicion from analysts that Dish CEO Charlie Ergen is bold enough to blackout ESPN in the middle of football season in order to make a point.
  • What to watch: Expect rhetoric to get heated as the contract expiration deadline of September 30 approaches. If Dish does pull the plug on Disney, the support from within the industry will be analyzed closely to separate the true sympathizers from the poachers.
Read comments

Hopefully we won't see the banners come across the screen, but I still believe in Scott's gut feeling :)

Yes I do. I would love to see the sports pak go up to $21 and all packages get cut by $7 to $10. I don't think people should be forced to buy channels that so few people watch.
smile.gif
just my opinion

I'm on my iPhone so don't quote me.

But I believe espn has about 2.3 million daily viewers and espn2 has less then 300,000 daily viewers.

And yes i'm nuts lol.

I don't know about their daily viewers but I do know a hell of a lot of people watch football on ESPN. They may not watch every day but there is this. The 4 highest rated cable programs in 2013 were all on ESPN.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...espn-win-the-night-among-all-networks/202057/

Monday Night Football Helps ESPN Win the Night among All Networks
Eagles-Redskins is ESPN’s Highest-Rated and Most-Watched MNF Opener
Last night’s special 2013 season-opening Monday Night Football doubleheader helped ESPN win the night among all networks – broadcast or cable – in households, viewers and all key male and adult demos. The MNF games ranked as the #1 and #2 telecasts of the night across cable and broadcast in those same categories, including the Philadelphia Eagles-Washington Redskins opener which ranks as the highest-rated and most-viewed opening game since ESPN started televising MNF in 2006 (eight seasons).
The Eagles’ 33-27 road victory over Washington (6:58 p.m. ET) earned a 10.1 US rating, representing an average of 11,741,000 households (16,524,000 viewers – P2+), according to Nielsen. ESPN’s previous best season-opener was a 9.4 US rating and 14,973,000 viewers (Baltimore Ravens vs. New York Jets, 2010). In addition, only one ESPN MNF game in 2012 attracted a larger audience (Bears-Cowboys: 16,616,000 viewers).
The Eagles-Redskins telecast peaked from 10-10:15 p.m. with a 12.7 rating and 20,920,000 viewers. Overall, the game ranks as the fourth largest audience for any program on cable television in calendar year 2013, trailing only ESPN’s BCS National Championship Game (26.4 million viewers – Notre Dame-Alabama, 1/7/13), the BCS Sustainer, and the 2013 Rose Bowl (17.0 million viewers – Wisconsin-Stanford, 1/1/13) telecasts.

king3pj said:
I don't know about their daily viewers but I do know a hell of a lot of people watch football on ESPN. They may not watch every day but there is this. The 4 highest rated cable programs in 2013 were all on ESPN.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/09/10/monday-night-football-helps-espn-win-the-night-among-all-networks/202057/

Yes I understand they have high as hell ratings on some nights. However is it really worth $80 to $120 per year for just a few games? My thing is people should have the choice and not me forced.

Yes I understand they have high as hell ratings on some nights. However is it really worth $80 to $120 per year for just a few games? My thing is people should have the choice and not me forced.

For just those 4 games? Nope. I think they do pretty decent all year in addition to having all of the highest rated cable broadcasts of the year though.

Still, if cable channel subscription rates were tied to their actual viewer ratings, then you wouldn't have these overpriced channels and then maybe the outrageous bidding for exclusive content would stop.

Supply and demand. They have it, sports fans want it, even if it is only 2 days a week. I know it's PC around here to act like no one watches sports, but you guys should get out more and talk to people. Every provider pays it, and there is a reason, same reason Direct spent tons on ST. Difference here is, all you guys sit around and complain here about paying for something you dont watch, while us sports fan just sit back quietly and laugh as we pay for lots of channels we dont watch as well.

Still, if cable channel subscription rates were tied to their actual viewer ratings, then you wouldn't have these overpriced channels and then maybe the outrageous bidding for exclusive content would stop.

That may very well be true. I'm not really trying to say ESPN deserves the amount of money they get either. What I am really saying is that ESPN is not AMC. You can't pull them in the middle of college and NFL football. The ratings stuff I posted is proof of that. Too many people watch these games and they will notice them missing.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Supply and demand. They have it, sports fans want it, even if it is only 2 days a week. I know it's PC around here to act like no one watches sports, but you guys should get out more and talk to people. Every provider pays it, and there is a reason, same reason Direct spent tons on ST. Difference here is, all you guys sit around and complain here about paying for something you dont watch, while us sports fan just sit back quietly and laugh as we pay for lots of channels we dont watch as well.
Yep, and high bidder exclusive contract rights lock up that supply and corner the market like a monopoly.

Charlie Ergen:

Please drop all ESPN channels next month, we will stand by you. Please pass along the savings and you will have a loyal customer forever.

If Dish dropped ESPN I'm not only going to call and raise so much holy hell to get pretty much the next year free or I'll got to Direct, but I'll have to make my office know that I won't put up with no customer I go to for any type of Dish call that harasses me over it or I'll just walk cause it would be insane to work for them and be the front lines of hell. I'd have to watch streaming over my tablet thru a relatives cable co account just to get by till Direct can get to me cause I believe they are 2-3 weeks behind as it is but I will NOT do without ESPN and College Football!!

Boy,if Dish drops ESPN,I bet we can really get some sweet deals from retention.They gave out rokus and credits for the AMC dispute,untelling what they may offer for something of this magnitude.That's why I don't see it happening.

In an Oprah voice "you're getting an iPad, you're getting an iPad, you all get iPads!!!"
:D :D :D

In an Oprah voice "you're getting an iPad, you're getting an iPad, you all get iPads!!!"
:D :D :D

I could handle an ipad,plus a few more dollars off the old bill.:D Still,I would prefer a settlement and ESPNU in hd.;)

One blogger drops some bad speculation and the sky starts falling.

I'm still confident a deal is done or basically done. Scott has posted about it many times and like lots of people have pointed out, we aren't seeing scrolls telling us to switch providers. I was just responding to people saying we shouldn't all have to pay for what a few people watch. ESPN owning the 4 highest rated programs of 2013 prove that more than a few people are watching.

If Dish dropped ESPN I'm not only going to call and raise so much holy hell to get pretty much the next year free or I'll got to Direct, but I'll have to make my office know that I won't put up with no customer I go to for any type of Dish call that harasses me over it or I'll just walk cause it would be insane to work for them and be the front lines of hell. I'd have to watch streaming over my tablet thru a relatives cable co account just to get by till Direct can get to me cause I believe they are 2-3 weeks behind as it is but I will NOT do without ESPN and College Football!!

Why not just drop DISH now and be done with it?

If they do drop espn I really wonder how many customers would really switch? Charlie on the conference call said it would be a lot less then people think and it would be short term pain for long term gain. It will be fun to watch this unfold how knows what will happen. Love to hear other people's view points. :)

Btw has anyone used the free dishnetwork on Southwest Airlines? I did a few days ago and it rocks.

problems with DVD and DVR since hooking up new TV

Is this the same ehd ???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)