DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

It is interesting that now a guide update does not require a reboot. It just does it in the background while you watch or transfer.
You mean only on the Hopper/Joey ? Actually, as far back as the 522 (my history with Dish), all you had to do was go forward (in time) in the guide and it would force an update.

It's the day after, and half a million views on this thread, are we still celebrating :)

What we are actually celebrating is the start of negotiations between Dish and Disney on the next contract.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last year, a poster said he worked for Universal Sports and said the channel was being broadcast in HD. On screen it's in HD aspect but not full screen. Anyone know why this is and if Dish will ever go full screen with this channel?

Scott (or anyone who can answer) you say there is no space...how does dish get the space needed and will you be able to tell from uplink or reports that space is being made ???

Does any other tv provider whether it be cable or satellite have this problem as well w space needed ???

Just curious as I find all this talk interesting

Thanks in advance

Last year, a poster said he worked for Universal Sports and said the channel was being broadcast in HD. On screen it's in HD aspect but not full screen. Anyone know why this is and if Dish will ever go full screen with this channel?
I don't think it ever went HD. (I know they were talking about it.) I don't know of any company carrying it in HD.

That channel went HD in March 2012. So far looks like only FIOS carries it in HD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Sports

(This is meant as a simplified explanation)

Space means a couple of things. Physical space on the satellites is one. You can only put so many channels on a transponder and then you get degraded picture quality. Dish is at that point now perhaps on some transponders.

Then there is the spectrum space. The space allowed for DISH to transmit is defined, just like any other spectrum, OTA or radio, CB, etc.. Adding more satellites can ease the transponder space, but you still have the range of spectrum that is defined.

Then there is setting it up so that the consumer will want the product. Meaning one dish on the house is what the majority of consumers are going to want. Dish has done that with the exception of internationals on 118, by having two arcs, of three satellites each. (118 for internationals needs another dish if you are on the EA)

One way of getting more space is how you process the signal. The Eastern Arc has space because of the newer codecs used that are able to compress better. But there are thousands/millions of people with older equipment that can not get signals with the newer processing so the Western Arc uses the older processing. (Eastern Arc is newer, customers had to get newer equipment to use it) Dish is now starting to make moves to get people to use newer equipment so they can make the Western Arc like the Eastern Arc.

The uplink report actually recently did seem to indicate space was being made, and it would appear it was for the College sports being added, and the new Disney HD.

Finally, Cable absolutely has problems having the "space" to carry channels in HD.

so if they free up more space there will be more room for more HD channels.

I think we need to calm down just a little on the HD channel subject. Everyone here knows you would like Dish to add more HD channels and so does Dish. Asking it more often is not going to help. You'd have better luck writing Dish a letter every week until they add what you want.

My four year old has this habit of asking the same question repeatedly until someone answers her. When we do, like what we say or hate it, she stops. Just some food for thought.
So what is with her obsession with HD on Dish? ;)

That said, she types well for a four year old.

My four year old has this habit of asking the same question repeatedly until someone answers her. When we do, like what we say or hate it, she stops.

OK.

so if they free up more space there will be more room for more HD channels.

Yes, you are right, except that the additional channels might not always be HD.

I know they would add Disney XD over time. They should get rid some HD PPV movie channels as no one is going to pay that much to rent a movie when you can rent it from Vudu, Amazon or get it from RedBox much cheaper.

True but if I have free ppv coupons I'm ordering...but I agree there is a lot of ppvs ch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts