DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

So what? The channels haven't been in HD for 5+ years. Anyone currently under contract entered that contract knowing the channels weren't in HD, anyone not in contract can go to another provider. If the HD versions are that important, the consumer shouldn't be subscribed to Dish.

The "so what?" would be that we are probably past the point of offering SD-only versions of HD channels. We are done buying non-HD TVs, ok?

If a given provider wants to remain a legit alternative in today's market, they should keep up. To your post above, if Dish is happy embracing the stigma of the "non-HD alternative", then great. I don't think any rational observer sees this as a winning strategy. The bill is not *that* much lower. Current contracts aside, future business pretty much requires this get figured out.

I can't imagine Dish responding with "if you don't like it, go elsewhere." Because people WILL go elsewhere.

Reading between the lines, ESPN is sure asking for a lot. But I think both parties know that this deal is huge and could determine not only the future of their respective businesses, but help direct the industry as a whole. I just hope cooler heads prevail and this thing does not blow up.

I'll say it again (and again)...the only reason that the HD disney/espn feeds are missing is because Dish screwed up on their previous contract language, and Disney took advantage of it. They are not "happy" about it, it is not a "strategy", and you can be sure that the same mistake won't be made this time around.

The "so what?" would be that we are probably past the point of offering SD-only versions of HD channels. We are done buying non-HD TVs, ok?

If a given provider wants to remain a legit alternative in today's market, they should keep up. To your post above, if Dish is happy embracing the stigma of the "non-HD alternative", then great. I don't think any rational observer sees this as a winning strategy. The bill is not *that* much lower. Current contracts aside, future business pretty much requires this get figured out.

I can't imagine Dish responding with "if you don't like it, go elsewhere." Because people WILL go elsewhere.

Reading between the lines, ESPN is sure asking for a lot. But I think both parties know that this deal is huge and could determine not only the future of their respective businesses, but help direct the industry as a whole. I just hope cooler heads prevail and this thing does not blow up.
I think you're missing my point. If someone signed up for Dish today, got installed this week, then got on here Sunday complaining because they don't have "Sunday Ticket", would you think they have a valid gripe? NO subscriber should be surprised U, News, & Disney are SD only. If that's a deal breaker, fine, go somewhere else.

And while we are done buying non-HD TV's, there's still a lot out there that people are using. Yes, I would like those channels in HD. No, I don't like watching "postage stamp" games on U. But it's MY CHOICE.

And most OTA subchannels are in SD. So it's not going away anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

maybe they're trying to get access to the watch espn app and website. Also maybe they're going after the SEC network and longhorn network? It's a shame everytime a new network comes out you have to go through the contract process again.
Wonder if Comcast's 10 year agreement with abc/Disney allows for the new channels to be carried automatically or if they go through the whole process again.

I think you're missing my point. If someone signed up for Dish today, got installed this week, then got on here Sunday complaining because they don't have "Sunday Ticket", would you think they have a valid gripe? NO subscriber should be surprised U, News, & Disney are SD only. If that's a deal breaker, fine, go somewhere else.

And while we are done buying non-HD TV's, there's still a lot out there that people are using. Yes, I would like those channels in HD. No, I don't like watching "postage stamp" games on U. But it's MY CHOICE.

I would like to think I'm a little more serious about my tv watching over the average Joe & in considering to sign up with Dish I overlooked the fact that Disney and some of Espn channels were not in HD. Many people like myself, when considering tv service, erroneously take for granted that basic & popular channels like Disney, ABC Family, ESPN channels, etc are in HD just like they are on 90% of the other providers. Dish CSRs, eager to sign you up, try to hide that fact & if you do even notice it, outrightly lie to you that's it's just a temporary situation and the HD feeds will be up "in the near future".

When I discovered this after I was hooked up I just took it as a minor inconvenience and decided to be patient. But that's the problem with Dish (and many Cable Providers), you keep taking these little body blows from them like living through channel blackouts, below par picture quality, constant rising bills, average customer service and it accumulates on you. After a while you do realize you're paying premium price for a below par service.

I do admire what Dish is trying to do with this espn/disney dispute but I think it's time for them to draw a line and find their niche market. That is, forget the sports lovers like myself and cater more to the individuals & families that are not sports lovers. From my short experience of both satellite service, both have their advantages and disadvantages. I just think Dish has the real possibility of being the low cost tv provider that can offer a good value service just like T-Mobile does in the cell phone market.

I would like to think I'm a little more serious about my tv watching over the average Joe & in considering to sign up with Dish I overlooked the fact that Disney and some of Espn channels were not in HD. Many people like myself, when considering tv service, erroneously take for granted that basic & popular channels like Disney, ABC Family, ESPN channels, etc are in HD just like they are on 90% of the other providers. Dish CSRs, eager to sign you up, try to hide that fact & if you do even notice it, outrightly lie to you that's it's just a temporary situation and the HD feeds will be up "in the near future".
But YOU overlooked what was available. YOU didn't do your due diligence. YOU made assumptions, AND accepted a sales person's word. The bottom line, it's no secret the channels weren't in HD when you signed up.
When I discovered this after I was hooked up I just took it as a minor inconvenience and decided to be patient. But that's the problem with Dish (and many Cable Providers), you keep taking these little body blows from them like living through channel blackouts, below par picture quality, constant rising bills, average customer service and it accumulates on you. After a while you do realize you're paying premium price for a below par service.
If you're not happy with what you're getting for the money, why continue to get it?
I do admire what Dish is trying to do with this espn/disney dispute but I think it's time for them to draw a line and find their niche market. That is, forget the sports lovers like myself and cater more to the individuals & families that are not sports lovers. From my short experience of both satellite service, both have their advantages and disadvantages. I just think Dish has the real possibility of being the low cost tv provider that can offer a good value service just like T-Mobile does in the cell phone market.
This I agree with. I think there is a market for a provider to have no sports. BUT, I don't think that's a very large market. Even if Dish dropped all the sports channels, even if they drop their prices, they're not going to get enough volume to make up for those they lose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts