DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

Having ESPNUl in HD is not a make or break thing to me. It would be great but as long as I'm getting the channel I'm happy.
If ESPN U in HD is make or break for ANYONE, they shouldn't be with Dish.

I want it in HD also, but I'm out of contract and simply waiting to see how this shakes out before deciding whether to jump ship. Even if we keep the status quo, we'd stay. The family is used to the channel layout and receiver usage. There's not enough benefit for us to switch right now.

I want it in HD also, but I'm out of contract and simply waiting to see how this shakes out before deciding whether to jump ship. Even if we keep the status quo, we'd stay. The family is used to the channel layout and receiver usage. There's not enough benefit for us to switch right now.

Don't tell DISH this. Shhhh. You are giving away your bargaining power . . .

Name one national TV provider who doesn't offer it in HD, along with ESPN News, which also airs games, and the Disney channels. Not carrying a channel offered in HD is practically unheard of, except for Dish. This is something every other carrier hasn't had an issue with, for years. Its ridiculous. Tell someone who has another carrier about it and they are dumbfounded. Its ridiculous.

Name one national TV provider who doesn't offer it in HD, along with ESPN News, which also airs games, and the Disney channels. Not carrying a channel offered in HD is practically unheard of, except for Dish. This is something every other carrier hasn't had an issue with, for years. Its ridiculous. Tell someone who has another carrier about it and they are dumbfounded. Its ridiculous.
Dish was the only provider who had contract language that contained a loophole that Disney was able to exploit. You can bet that there won't be the same mistake this time.

I for one am glad that Dish refused to pay Disney twice for each of the channels in which HD was dropped. The Disney demands were ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Charter in Eastern Ct does not have ESPN Classic or ESPNEWS in HD. And it wasn't till this year they had ESPNU in HD. And for the privilege of having ESPNU in HD and a couple of Disney channels, I would be paying MUCH more, including $20 for two rooms just for the DVR fee, and paying the receiver fee for the first and each receiver.

What makes all of this even nuttier is that Disney hasn't really improved, to the best of my knowledge. I understand that several years have passed, but other than inflation, what is the justification for increasing the rates. Comcast comes in asking for more money on NBCSports, at least they can say they have the NHL, MLS, EPL (yes, I'm aware that these are probably the three least important leagues for most people), and can show that there is a substantial change in the amount of content for the price.

ESPN, Disney, what has changed? ESPN now shows MNF.

Disney seems to be asking for more money because they can.

What makes all of this even nuttier is that Disney hasn't really improved, to the best of my knowledge. I understand that several years have passed, but other than inflation, what is the justification for increasing the rates. Comcast comes in asking for more money on NBCSports, at least they can say they have the NHL, MLS, EPL (yes, I'm aware that these are probably the three least important leagues for most people), and can show that there is a substantial change in the amount of content for the price.

ESPN, Disney, what has changed? ESPN now shows MNF.

Disney seems to be asking for more money because they can.

They paid 16 Billion for MNF,plus i can't recall how much for the BCS games.

I'm hoping there is a decimal point missing! I understand that Disney has paid a boatload for content, but overall, the content they actually present hasn't increased much at all (and any new content was most likely available for OTA before they snagged it). And honestly MNF is an overhyped game. Heck, most of the regular season is overhyped.

You guys need to read the new book on college football, The System. Even with the TV money only 22 schools make money on football. The rate of salary increase of CEOs over the years that everyone thinks is outlandish is actually outpaced by college coaching salaries. 79 coaches make over $1 million, 52 over $2 million and 16 more than $3 mil. Schools spend on average over $90k/year for football players, 1/3 of that on students. Its basically an unsustainable economic model even with all the TV money. Why? Because the lower tier teams spend more than they can afford to try and compete and get into a conference with a better TV contract.

So if you wonder why ESPN wants more money, its a vicious cycle.

College sports is a drop in the bucket compared to pro sports contracts in why ESPN is so expensive.

Hell, MLB tv money is DOUBLING next year.

You guys need to read the new book on college football, The System. Even with the TV money only 22 schools make money on football. The rate of salary increase of CEOs over the years that everyone thinks is outlandish is actually outpaced by college coaching salaries. 79 coaches make over $1 million, 52 over $2 million and 16 more than $3 mil. Schools spend on average over $90k/year for football players, 1/3 of that on students. Its basically an unsustainable economic model even with all the TV money. Why? Because the lower tier teams spend more than they can afford to try and compete and get into a conference with a better TV contract.

So if you wonder why ESPN wants more money, its a vicious cycle.

Tell us something new. Football and TV money from football pay for a lot things, Title IX and a lot of less popular and less attended sports in addition to coaches salaries and venue improvements for those sports. It's a vicious cycle, that I personally don't think can be sustained.

Which is quite a joke. ESPN used to have SNF and ABC had MNF. Both owned by Disney. So, they moved MNF to ESPN and dropped SNF. Sorry, whether they paid $16 Billion or not, they ended saving money than if the renegotiated for the old set up of ESPN on Sunday Night and ABC on Monday Night.

I'm hoping there is a decimal point missing! I understand that Disney has paid a boatload for content, but overall, the content they actually present hasn't increased much at all (and any new content was most likely available for OTA before they snagged it). And honestly MNF is an overhyped game. Heck, most of the regular season is overhyped.

I dunno where I got 16 Billion from,it was only 15.2 Billion.:rolleyes::D
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/09/19/Media/ESPN.aspx

Here is a great article showing the spending spree that Disney owned ESPN has been on in the past few years.
http://www.businessinsider.com/espn-nightmare-scenario-2013-5