DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

This is an opinion forum. Since Scott's #202 post. Looking at different user names with an opinion 6 were against paying more for ESPN and Disney. 5 were for paying extra. 2 wanted a separate sports package and reduced fee non sports packages. Lets continue the opinions and see where it falls. Just because one person posts many times with the same opinion it only counts once.

In a case like that it would be more organized to start a separate thread with a poll asking what people here want. It actually have have been done already in the past but may not be a bad idea to try it again with the upcoming contract.

And just like with AMC does a few hours of highly rated programming justify the price. IMO no. Yes they draw millions of viewers for a few hours during certain events but for the other 18-20 hrs a day its repeats of low rated filler. I missed games a few years ago during the Fox dispute, I may miss a few this year, so be it, its only TV and at some point someone has to No. We would all still be subjects of The British Empire, if someone didn't stand up and say No.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The thing is that cable and satellite TV are a luxury not a requirement.They are kind of in a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. If prices continue to rise people will cut the cord. If you tell people they can't watch AMC but look HD Net is a great alternative or we don't have ESPN but check out NBCSN they will cut the cord too. People won't just continue to pay when what they actually want to watch isn't available. Low prices are great but what are we paying for if we can't watch what we want to.

The thing is that cable and satellite TV are a luxury not a requirement.They are kind of in a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. If prices continue to rise people will cut the cord. If you tell people they can't watch AMC but look HD Net is a great alternative or we don't have ESPN but check out NBCSN they will cut the cord too. People won't just continue to pay when what they actually want to watch isn't available. Low prices are great but what are we paying for if we can't watch what we want to.

Yes, but who says they actually want to watch those channels. The problem is these channels only have a couple hours a week of high demand programming, the rest is filler with very little viewership. Then the media group takes the 2 or 3 hours of high demand programs and moves them to an entirely different channel so they can say " oh we have another high demand channel (which only has 2 or 3 hours of in demand programming and the rest is yet again filler) bundle them or you can't have either one". There are many factors at play here and viewership numbers overall has nothing to do with it, its channel capacity, how many channels came one group create in order to sell more commercial time. In the end the consumer is screwed over as a pawn to squeeze everything they can out of and play against video providers. ESPN has high numbers during football, the rest of the year and the rest of the week for that matter, their numbers suck as much as any other channel.

edit: yes cable/sat is luxury, I've been saying that for many years now

Pay ESPN any price they want but in return make ESPN Ala Cart.
They won’t agree to this because if ESPN became Ala Cart they would probably lose half their subscriber base overnight.
I’m aware of the arguments against ala cart programming but I think if a particular channel’s cost exceeds some significant threshold, it should automatically become an ala cart offering.

This is why I dropped down to the "Welcome Pack"... I refuse to pay for the sports programming I don't watch. What I do watch, I can find on my local channels. Lack of HD sucks... but the $30 a month savings makes it worth it.

Pay ESPN any price they want but in return make ESPN Ala Cart.
They won’t agree to this because if ESPN became Ala Cart they would probably lose half their subscriber base overnight.
I’m aware of the arguments against ala cart programming but I think if a particular channel’s cost exceeds some significant threshold, it should automatically become an ala cart offering.

I bet that would happen to a lot of channels. Please make MTV and several others ala cart. I would love to opt out of lots of channels. The sad thing is that will never happen.

You can do like some and cut the cord or go to the welcome pack. If it bothers you that much. Its only TV guys. TV is a luxury not a necessity. Don't let it ruin your day.

Just do it already. Geesh you've been moaning about espnu for 2 years. If it was that important you would have switched already.

It is nothing to do with "moaning" I like Dish, I enjoy the hardware and the software from the receivers not to mention the cheaper prices and functions but that doesn't mean I can't continue to discuss the need of a channel like everyone else on these forums.

I would not want ESPN in some package of its own like EPIX because they will NOT lower regular packages down if they removed it you can bet on that. So if they did that like the EPIX channels then they must lower the regular packages down and some how "grandfather" people in that are current subscribers to avoid a major conflict.

Last edited:
For those who say they don't want to pay for channels that they don't watch, then list all of the channels you watch so everyone can reply whether they watch them. We ALL pay for channels we don't watch. The issue with ESPN is that their is no legal alternative to find the same programming elsewhere. When AMC was dropped, you could buy the shows on Amazon or iTunes. For ESPN, I want to watch the games live. And I can't just switch to Fox Sports 1 or NBCSN because there are specific games I want to watch. I am not just watching games in general. I watch to watch certain teams.

IF they pull ESPN you can forget about a decrease in prices - if anything they'll move FS1 or NBCSN into it's place. You won't see MNF anymore but you'll still be paying for it.

This is why I dropped down to the "Welcome Pack"... I refuse to pay for the sports programming I don't watch. What I do watch, I can find on my local channels. Lack of HD sucks... but the $30 a month savings makes it worth it.

Which is what I may do if they drop ESPN. Most of the football games I watched and DVR'd this past weekend were on local networks besides ESPN. Just wish Welcome or Smart was in HD (other than just locals).

Which is what I may do if they drop ESPN. Most of the football games I watched and DVR'd this past weekend were on local networks besides ESPN. Just wish Welcome or Smart was in HD (other than just locals).

I agree... wish it was in HD... though everytime I say to myself "this picture isn't perfect like it used to be", I think about the money I am saving... it's the way to make myself feel better! Watched football and golf on our local networks over the weekend, so got my sports fix that way as well. I do have Netflix on a Roku box to supplement the syndicated television that I like (The Office, Parks and Rec, etc). Have tons on the DVR as well....

I wish the Welcome pack was in HD too, but if they did make it all hd , they would see a lot of people downgrading to it to save money or if they went up on their bills ,just to save the money. Just remember when they had the absolute or platinum hd pack or what ever it was called back then? It had ALL hd channels in one pack and it was like $39.00 or so. That was a real bargain and it allowed me to actually keep DISH on one receiver and test Directv back then ,since they had more hd back then.

Its only TV guys. TV is a luxury not a necessity. Don't let it ruin your day.
Too bad more people don't take that advice...there wouldn't be this inflated, overblown demand and cost for sports, as people wouldn't act like it's a necessity.

Too bad more people don't take that advice...there wouldn't be this inflated, overblown demand and cost for sports, as people wouldn't act like it's a necessity.

Sports are why many of us pay for the luxury that is satellite TV. No it isn't a necessity in life but if I'm going to pay for it I want what I like to watch to be available. I don't want my provider dumping channels I like to watch and telling me to watch something else instead. If they do that too often I will move to someone else or cut the cord. It is a luxury. Id rather pay a little more for that luxury and watch what I want than have rock bottom prices and not have what I want to watch available.

Besides live sports, I could get everything I watch much cheaper with OTA and iTunes season passes. For those who keep saying you don't want to pay for stuff you don't watch... If you have a decent broadband connection there is your solution right there. Forget paying for channels you don't watch. Going that route you don't even have to pick channels, just the shows you actually watch. Can't get any more ala carte than that.

Sports are why many of us pay for the luxury that is satellite TV. No it isn't a necessity in life but if I'm going to pay for it I want what I like to watch to be available. I don't want my provider dumping channels I like to watch and telling me to watch something else instead. If they do that too often I will move to someone else or cut the cord. It is a luxury. Id rather pay a little more for that luxury and watch what I want than have rock bottom prices and not have what I want to watch available.

Besides live sports, I could get everything I watch much cheaper with OTA and iTunes season passes. For those who keep saying you don't want to pay for stuff you don't watch... If you have a decent broadband connection there is your solution right there. Forget paying for channels you don't watch. Going that route you don't even have to pick channels, just the shows you actually watch. Can't get any more ala carte than that.

I totally understand. I love ESPN and sports. That's my main reason for paying what I pay. Well that and The Walking Dead. I'm just not the type of person to get all worked up over TV. If they drop ESPN I'll suspended my Dish service and get TWC till they get it back. It would suck but I won't let it ruin my day. So I hear ya my friend. I think it will all work out.

Being here over a year now I've seen a lot of people take TV way to seriously. These guys get so pissed off. Then some get pissed off when people talk about switching or ask a question in this thread. I find that really sad and pathetic.

Charlie Ergen:

Please drop all ESPN channels next month, we will stand by you. Please pass along the savings and you will have a loyal customer forever.
Charlie Ergen:

Please drop all ESPN channels next month, I will drop your service so fast it will hurt. Lose ESPN and you will lose a loyal customer forever.

Jump!.jpg

?Just do it already!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)