DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

I have a solution.

Let's make autohop ala carte. If Dish intends to keep Autohop, they're going to have to start paying the networks more. In turn it will make our bill higher.

Why should I be changed for a feature I don't even use? Make it optional. The people who want it can pay for it.

This actually sounds like a pretty good idea. Let the ones that want to use pay for it and the rest of us that doesnt use it are not penalized.

This actually sounds like a pretty good idea. Let the ones that want to use pay for it and the rest of us that doesnt use it are not penalized.

I don't use the wifi or internet features..........therefore I don't want to pay for that

just kidding, I don't use them, but I don't expect a reduced rate since I don't

I think you guys are falling for the networks' spiel if you think that people should pay extra for AutoHop. People have had DVRs for at least a decade now, and in the past five years it has become a common commodity. Even before DVRs people skipped commercials with VCRs, and even before that people "skipped" commercials with bathroom breaks or visits to the kitchen. All AutoHop does is make it a little easier. You can't even use AutoHop on the day of, so the commercials are pretty much useless as far as the networks' income is concerned anyway. They don't get paid for us watching commercials in recordings.

Lets just make everything in the world a la carte! Look, I understand some of your reasoning but it's not always feasible for a company to offer it. If this were the case then we should all be able to order our receivers built to our specifications and only pick the channels we want. That's great for us but what company in their right mind would want to offer that mess.

I don't use the wifi or internet features..........therefore I don't want to pay for that

just kidding, I don't use them, but I don't expect a reduced rate since I don't

I know you're just kidding, but the fact that you do or do not use the wifi features really doesn't matter. It is not a problem with the networks when negotiating the new contracts.

I think you guys are falling for the networks' spiel if you think that people should pay extra for AutoHop. People have had DVRs for at least a decade now, and in the past five years it has become a common commodity. Even before DVRs people skipped commercials with VCRs, and even before that people "skipped" commercials with bathroom breaks or visits to the kitchen. All AutoHop does is make it a little easier. You can't even use AutoHop on the day of, so the commercials are pretty much useless as far as the networks' income is concerned anyway. They don't get paid for us watching commercials in recordings.

I'm not denying the fact that it is easier. I'm sure it is easier. The problem is the networks don't want the autohop and if Dish intends to continue to use Autohop, it's going to be negotiated in all the new contracts for all the major networks that are being hit by the Autohop feature. While ESPN may cost $5 a subscriber, I'm sure that by the time that we accumulate all the money Dish will be handing out to the four networks to continue to use Autohop that it is going to cost more than ESPN per subscriber.

So why not? The sports fans have to pay for their network, the television fan has to pay to skip the commercials. Easy as that.

Lets just make everything in the world a la carte! Look, I understand some of your reasoning but it's not always feasible for a company to offer it. If this were the case then we should all be able to order our receivers built to our specifications and only pick the channels we want. That's great for us but what company in their right mind would want to offer that mess.
Canada has managed to do so without devolving into a third-world cable nation.

Canada has managed to do so without devolving into a third-world cable nation.

You're talking just programming though which can be done. Do they do it with equipment too? Actually Dish has about the best selection of receivers already that can fit just about everyone's needs.

When the deal is done can the name of the thread be changed to "ESPN President (Makes) a Deal With Dish"?

That will be a whole lot easier than following every response here.

As long as they wait until after tomorrow, I will be fine. I want to watch the Texas-Iowa State game tomorrow. After that, the next game I really care to watch will be October 12 between Missouri and Georgia. But if they take 8 days and go dark, fine with me. (My kids might be mad though.)

I can see why you would tell someone they dont need it but how would someone get confused by it???

All kinds of reasons, hell I get trouble calls for people dropping their remote and putting batteries back in backwards cause the typical customer is STUPID!! I'm sorry to say it but we live in a world full of stupid and just people quick to burn the other person to get ahead or to avoid paying for anything it seems.

Dish could use the Hopper as leverage to force Disney to accept lower fees to carry its channels, including ESPN and the ABC-owned affiliates, which are in eight large markets. For example, in return for agreeing to dismantle the Hopper so subscribers couldn't use its ad-skipping feature when ABC is on, Dish might be permitted to pay less to carry the Disney suite of channels.

I say DUMP IT!! Lets get cheaper packages and more HD channels - Come on Charlie!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts