DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

Well if you do a search on dish disney, looks like many sites are picking up on the articles of Dish and Disney close to having a deal done. Hopefully soon!

evil-cat.jpg

Y'all want to start a prediction pool? I predict it will be announced on a Friday afternoon, after the markets close. I say February 28th.

But, it is not known if the DVR was skipping commercials, since that function has to be selected by the user, just as the skip button is.

True, but the networks try to convince advertisers that viewers are really too lazy and distracted to grab the remote and skip the commercials every time. If the DVR did it every time even if the user had to say yes one time, that would be hard to ignore.

Well, before Auto-Hop, I had the remote on my chair arm waiting for the commercial to start and my hand automatically went to it and started press skip forward, every time. If Auto-Hop were to go away, that hand is still trained, and is still used because I watch many channels that are not PTAT....

And...those of us still using the VIP receivers, trust me, we never watch a commercial on a DVR'd event. I'd like to have Auto-hop (and will someday), but I cannot imagine anyone with a DVR that watches the commercials on recorded shows.

Well, before Auto-Hop, I had the remote on my chair arm waiting for the commercial to start and my hand automatically went to it and started press skip forward, every time. If Auto-Hop were to go away, that hand is still trained, and is still used because I watch many channels that are not PTAT....

I still catch myself grabbing that remote for the commercial even with auto-hop on! Old habits die hard. :D

And...those of us still using the VIP receivers, trust me, we never watch a commercial on a DVR'd event. I'd like to have Auto-hop (and will someday), but I cannot imagine anyone with a DVR that watches the commercials on recorded shows.

I'm the same way.

I even record shows, watch something else for a bit 'til I know I won't "catch up", then watch the show I recorded, skipping commercials and ending just after the scheduled time for the show to end.

Well, before Auto-Hop, I had the remote on my chair arm waiting for the commercial to start and my hand automatically went to it and started press skip forward, every time.

I wore the paint off my UHF Pro 6.3 remotes adjacent to the skip forward button. ;)

Time to drag out that dead horse: The networks need to give up on this argument. You charge retransmission fees. Therefore, you're already getting paid. The advertising revenue holds for OTA signals.

Your right. I think it will take the supreme court to decide that.

Time to drag out that dead horse: The networks need to give up on this argument. You charge retransmission fees. Therefore, you're already getting paid. The advertising revenue holds for OTA signals.
If that argument is held up, then expect locals to demand high retransmission fees in the ballpark of some of the most popular cable channels. That would not be good either.

Either that, or the popular cable channels who generate ratings and advertising revenue need to have their high transmission fees seriously reduced.

If that argument is held up, then expect locals to demand high retransmission fees in the ballpark of some of the most popular cable channels. That would not be good either.

Either that, or the popular cable channels who generate ratings and advertising revenue need to have their high transmission fees seriously reduced.

If that is held up and Aereo wins in court. It could really change. Dish could set up an Aero type deal. Then the locals would probably pull a..... "we're going to cable" type thing. Its a whole big cluster you know what. I think people like myself and The Fat Man are just tired of the networks having their cake and eating it to. They get the best of both worlds with commercials and re transmission fees. Something has got to give.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)