DISH really steps up

iamfaust1

Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
Spokane WA
I am not sure if my experience warrants a post of its own so mods feel free to delete or move if you feel the need. This forum has been invaluable to me over the years as I have made decisions related to satellite TV so I wanted to share my experience with DISH.

I am in the last month of my 2 year contract. I saw the 35th anniversary 2 year price lock for new customers. I wanted to know if I could have a similar deal. I really think this deal is a sweet deal for new customers! I reached out to DIRT to see if they could do something but the best they could do was give me a $15 discount for 10 months. This didn't wow me in any way.

This week we lost our local ABC network due to a contract dispute with DISH. My wife has some favorites that she has to watch on this network. I place the blame for this dispute on my local network and not DISH, but I still don't have the station and the wife is not happy so I have to get this fixed fast.

In light of losing a critical station and being in the last month of my contract I decided to switch to DirectTV so I called DISH to cancel.

One aspect of being a new customer is getting the feeling that my business is wanted. So many times the company that has my business will offer weak discounts to get me to stay while the competitor is offering $200 gift cards, 3 months of premium movies, a year of NFL etc. to get my business.

This is where DISH really stepped up. DISH asked me what it would take to keep me. I basically said I wanted to have the anniversary special with two Joeys which would be $65 a month. Of course they couldn't do that but they did better. They bumped me up to 120+, gave me 3 months of sport pack, and a $40 monthly credit for 12 months which brings my bill to $50.99 a month for a hopper and 2 joeys. I didn't get the same deal as a new customer but in may ways the deal is better. I didn't have to sign a contract extension so that is nice as well.

As I was on the phone with the retention guy I said this still doesn't solve the problem with my local station. I told him I can get the station on my antenna so he gave me the OTA adapter for free. Amazing!

I was never rude to any of the DISH reps I spoke with, in fact, I told them I have really enjoyed DISH and never have had any issues.

In the end, I am super impressed and pleased with DISH.

So not to sound negative, they only gave you the deal when you had enough with them and decided to switch to Directv?

The question you should be asking is why did they make you go through all the hassle of looking at other options such as Directv before they "dish" finally decided to step up their offer.

They should have offered you all of this the first time you contacted them and gave them the opportunity.

Gee Claude, & you really DON'T think you could have the same situation happen with the 2 providers reversed??? I KNOW there's many a post - right on this board - that illustrates this to a T.

Your point being... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Stormy_2021
I'm about to go through the same deal. My local cable co offered to bundle my existing internet package (100/10) with their version of Everything Pack for $160 a month out the door, including their Hopper equiv.

My first call to dish was less than impressive, so I'm reaching out to DIRT now.

So not to sound negative, they only gave you the deal when you had enough with them and decided to switch to Directv?

The question you should be asking is why did they make you go through all the hassle of looking at other options such as Directv before they "dish" finally decided to step up their offer.

They should have offered you all of this the first time you contacted them and gave them the opportunity.

Still better then what DirecTV, did to me 3 years ago. Their guide update crippled my 3 Tivos by removing all locals, they told me I needed to let my Tivos update, I tried for several weeks to get them to update, to no avail (found out on various forums that DirecTV was just lying to me and the update wasn't even out there), so after 8 years of asking for no breaks or equipment upgrades all DirecTV would do was let me pay full price for new equipment and a new 2 year contract. However, after I canceled they called the day after my Dish install and offered me all new equipment and deals to come back. I didn't come back, so tell me which way is better?

Is it Cox that is offering that?

Correct. Premier internet, plus all of their "normal" channels, plus Starz/Cinemax/HBO/Showtime, and 2 rooms of Contour service.

DIRT basically said they can extend my $20/month discount that I have now, and that was it. Told me to call in when I am ready to cancel. I'm sure that they will try to make another offer when I actually pull the cancellation trigger, but if I reach that point, I'm done.

I saw that deal. When I was asking them about the setup I have, I actually would end up paying more. Judging by your name, you're not in Chandler AZ are you?

I saw that deal. When I was asking them about the setup I have, I actually would end up paying more. Judging by your name, you're not in Chandler AZ are you?

No - I am in OKC. For me, it is about $75 cheaper per month on this Cox deal. I really hate to leave - the last time I had cable was in 2003, but it's just too big of a savings to ignore. To be honest, kinda disappointed in Dish's offer after reading some of the other reported offers here. I would have thought an AEP customer out of contract for 10+ years with autopay and paperless billing would have been their premium customer that they want to keep. Guess not.

If I were you, what I would honestly do is cancel, go with Cox for two months, then after the 60 days go back to Dish for the price lock and free Netflix with no dvr fee. Huge savings.

Cox will require a 1yr contract, but that's no big deal. Can always see what Dish has in a year.

It's just frustrating that an existing customer is less valuable to them than a new customer.

Cox will require a 1yr contract, but that's no big deal. Can always see what Dish has in a year.

It's just frustrating that an existing customer is less valuable to them than a new customer.

Just remember you will also get hit with about $15 a month in taxes, fees and the infamous $3 broadcast fee for locals from Cox. These are all hidden below the line costs that will show up on the bill. I was also looking at all Cox's offers this past week to use my Tivo's after I close on a new house in 3 weeks. I get calls from them about every 6 weeks. Last time I took them up on a small package for our Condo in Las Vegas, but they can't seem to compete on costs at our main home in Oklahoma.

I have 1 set of credits from Dish that will expire in a couple months and even after that my 100/10 internet and Dish AT250 with a 722 and 211 is slightly cheaper than the Cox bundle. The only way bundling with Cox comes out cheaper for me is to drop to 50/5 internet or drop my tv package to something lower. Perhaps when the last of my Dish credits expire it will swing in Cox's favor.

All the providers do the same thing, c'mon I know that.

I was just pointing out the obvious.

Give credit when credit is due, this is not a situation where dish deserves credit for saving a situation.
Not one that requires your Dish assault. There are so many other topics on this forum for you to dissuade people on. Pick and choose wisely sir. You know, and I know, that you are better than that.

For anyone wondering the outcome, DISH stepped up today. They gave me $75 for 6 months, then $99 for the rest of the year. This (supposedly) includes everything but tax - all fees/DVR/etc. I'll be waiting on the first bill to confirm this.

Cox stepped up on the internet side and came down to $62.39 for the next year, so between the two I'm around the $160 that Cox was offering for the bundle, and I get to keep my services with each which I really like.

Reactions: osu1991 and Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)