Dish Receiver 322

garn9173

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 11, 2004
Ankeny, IA
I didn't even know that my sister in law and family were considering switching to Dish Network, walked into their house today and there sat the 322 receiver. I was impressed by it and immediately was interested as my wife and I are considering adding a third TV.

My questions are 1: can existing subscribers upgrade to the 322? If so, what type, if any promotions exist. We are in a newer model house and when we moved in, the installer was able to utilize existing cable jacks for the wiring. The third TV we want to add is near a cable jack, i'm assuming it won't be a problem for this TV to be operated by a not so close receiver.

Our two current receivers are in an upstairs bedroom, close to where the third TV is and downstairs in the living room. Which receiver would be better to control this third TV, the upstairs or downstairs receiver?

Thanks for any information ya'll can provide.

Existing subscribers can upgrade to a 322. I do not believe that any promotions exist yet for the 322 but you can get the 522 which is like the 322 except you get 100 hours of video storage and DVR functionality on two tuners with two tv outputs along with Name Based Recording. The savings on the additional outlet fee makes up for the $5 DVR fee on the 522 (as long as you have the phone line hooked up). The 322 and 522 have a UHF remote that comes with it for the second tuner. You can turn the channels in a different room on the second tuner and even with the first tuner if you get a UHF remote for the first tuner (it comes with the IR remote for the first tuner).

The UHF remote on the 322 functions alot better then the UHF 522 remote. With the 322 reciever the distance between the 2nd T.V and the reciever really should'nt matter, with the 522 the closer you have the second T.V to the recier the better off you will be. As far as location??? If you go with the 322 you may consider the option of getting a UHF remote for T.V 1 and putting the reciver in the basement if your cable is all home run there. I've done this sevreal times as the customer really liked the idea of not having a reciever sitting by the television.

Stargazer said:
Existing subscribers can upgrade to a 322.

ATM actually you can only upgrade to a 522. When asked about having the 322 available to existing customers, Charlie looked befuddled and asked why you wouldn't just get 2 301/311s. There may be options later but not now.

The only advantage of upgrading to a 322 would be the additional tuner fee (and with some people a newer receiver) whereas with a 522 you can get DVR functionality on two tv's which makes the upgrade more worthwhile.

thanks for the input. My wife and I don't do a lot to taping as it is, if I miss a show, oh well, life goes on, I wouldn't have time to watch it later, anyway. Really, the only thing my wife and I would be interested in would be hooking up the third TV without having to pay for another receiver.

garn9173 said:
thanks for the input. My wife and I don't do a lot to taping as it is, if I miss a show, oh well, life goes on, I wouldn't have time to watch it later, anyway. Really, the only thing my wife and I would be interested in would be hooking up the third TV without having to pay for another receiver.

I thought as you did. I got 2 322s (new customer). I already had a DVDR with built-in hard disk and figured I didn't need a 522. The 322 has some deficiencies as compared to the 522 and some advantages. The guide is only 48 hours vs about 10 days on the 522. For making a quality DVD, it produces better output. But believe me, the ability to record shows at will as the 522 can is something you will really appreciate. Since my DVDR doesn't work as well with satellite as it does with cable and so I had to manually set up programs. For the 90% of shows we watch and erase, its a hassle. Both have bugs (occasional momentary dropouts on 522; 322 forgets to turn on the channel's video when a recording is scheduled.

I finally got Dish to let me trade out one of my 3 month old leased 322s for a 922. It was tough but worth it.

Get the 522 instead. You won't regret it.

John