Dish Receiver on ExpressVu?

Impulse29

Original poster
Dec 25, 2004
I am interested in bidding on a Dish Network satellite receiver 522. Bell ExpressVu has the same one in use on its network, but they call it the 5220 (not sure why... they just like 4 digits, I guess?)... I have 4200 series (?) receiver from Bell now, and everything works fine. If I purchase the Dish receiver, can I use my existing smart card for it to work?

This seems way too easy, but if the receiver is used in both networks, they should be compatible right?

Oh, and the receiver is new, not stolen, and all that good stuff:)

No, it won't work. Different software,etc. if you want a to use ExpressVu you must have an ExpressVu receiver.

DIsh and ExpressVu are two totally different setups. They are NOT compatible :)

Maybe the only thing that might be is the bugs :D

unfortunately most people selling Dish Network gear on ebay also put "Expressvu" in the title or description, which causes confusion.

Pepper said:
unfortunately most people selling Dish Network gear on ebay also put "Expressvu" in the title or description, which causes confusion.

BINGO...they figure they can sell it saying it will work on both, which is flase unless you are a hacker....

....and we do not condone that here

I was wondering about that.
I have been recently looking for a good used HD receiver for ExpressVu.
I wanted to save a few bucks by getting something used.
I found a 6000 on ebay that the seller claimed to be for ExpressVu; but it ended up being a Dish unit when I got it.

He is arguing that it will work for both and won't refund my money.
I know different but it looks like there are a lot of these kind of sellers that are trying to blur the line between the two systems to make a buck.

Ebay/Paypal said that I got my merchandise and are using all of the other posts of the receiver working for both systems as proof that the seller did no wrong.

The only way it might work is if you hack the box
-If the unit was activated on Dish, you're SOL
-If the software is for Dish, you're SOL

It won't work....sorry Rob

DJ Rob said:
I was wondering about that.
I have been recently looking for a good used HD receiver for ExpressVu.
I wanted to save a few bucks by getting something used.
I found a 6000 on ebay that the seller claimed to be for ExpressVu; but it ended up being a Dish unit when I got it.

He is arguing that it will work for both and won't refund my money.
I know different but it looks like there are a lot of these kind of sellers that are trying to blur the line between the two systems to make a buck.

Ebay/Paypal said that I got my merchandise and are using all of the other posts of the receiver working for both systems as proof that the seller did no wrong.

How about if you email both systems with a question like: "I just got an ExPressVu box from my cousin in Canada. Can I use it on your (DISH) system" === "I just got a DISH box from my cousin in the states, can I use it on your (BEV) system?
It would seem if it is in writing, they would have no choice.

...mike

snidely said:
How about if you email both systems with a question like: "I just got an ExPressVu box from my cousin in Canada. Can I use it on your (DISH) system" === "I just got a DISH box from my cousin in the states, can I use it on your (BEV) system?
It would seem if it is in writing, they would have no choice.

...mike

News....

I have jsut called BELL, and received this info. :D

Yes, the DVR522 and the Bell 5200 are in fact the same model. But as earlier mentioned by Iceberg if you receive either or that has been priviously 'connected' and the software downloaded to the receiver then you are SOL. However, BELL tech did tell me that if you buy a new DVR522 intended for Dish...then you can do the following.

Connect power to unit...connect unit to TV (NO OTHER CONNECTIONS). Get both unit ID's and current software versions (before you buy). If the system is in virgin state...meaing it has not been on DISH before...then BEV will connect it for you. Or if it has been priot on DEV, then you need to confirm nothing is owing on the prior account..or $150CDN is required as a deposit.

So even if you can buy a DVR522, make sure before you do...to get the software versions ID's and the unit ID"S...and call BEV first..

Thanksfully I did that yesterday...otherwise I'd have a NGFN DVR522 :no

BTW....Bell currently has until JAN\31\05 special on...5900 PVR on for $399.00CDN with $120CDN programming credit for existing customers. After that...who knows....mayeb in a few months the 5200 might have similar deals.

Hope this info was helpful. :)

Bucko521 said:
BTW....Bell currently has until JAN\31\05 special on...5900 PVR on for $399.00CDN with $120CDN programming credit for existing customers.
I just checked the Bell site, that deal is only for new customers who agree to a 2 year contract.

edit: I did find the deal for existing customers at www.kusat.com

Bell does not want to activate

I would like to know the proceedure or certain department to ask for to have ExpressVu activate a Dish receiver that has never been used (virgin state).

I was in touch with ExpressVu and the person answered and I said what I wanted and she said it was not possible so I said could we please confirm with a technician, she checked with the technical supervisor who said we do not authorize equipment from the USA.

Do I have to get a smart card from Bell ExpressVu?

Jim

Bucko521 said:
News....

I have jsut called BELL, and received this info. :D

Yes, the DVR522 and the Bell 5200 are in fact the same model. But as earlier mentioned by Iceberg if you receive either or that has been priviously 'connected' and the software downloaded to the receiver then you are SOL. However, BELL tech did tell me that if you buy a new DVR522 intended for Dish...then you can do the following.

Connect power to unit...connect unit to TV (NO OTHER CONNECTIONS). Get both unit ID's and current software versions (before you buy). If the system is in virgin state...meaing it has not been on DISH before...then BEV will connect it for you. Or if it has been priot on DEV, then you need to confirm nothing is owing on the prior account..or $150CDN is required as a deposit.

Now, I wonder if that would work with a "virging" 921?

Iceberg said:
The only way it might work is if you hack the box
-If the unit was activated on Dish, you're SOL
-If the software is for Dish, you're SOL

It won't work....sorry Rob

Hey Iceberg,

when you say "won't work" you mean, they won't activate it for you? I played around with my 510 currently active with dish this weekend. I unplugged it, ran a check switch, then plugged the cable coming from the Evu dish. I got reception, it showed the channels and everything, including the free channel, but of course, I could't access the subscription channels. It even downloaded programming info.

Any thoughts?

ExpressVu will not authorize a Dish Network Receiver nor will Dish Network authorize a ExpressVu Receiver.

If you want ExpressVu you need an ExpressVu receiver, any other way of getting it is illegal and will not be talked about here. ;)

Fgsilva said:
Hey Iceberg,

when you say "won't work" you mean, they won't activate it for you? I played around with my 510 currently active with dish this weekend. I unplugged it, ran a check switch, then plugged the cable coming from the Evu dish. I got reception, it showed the channels and everything, including the free channel, but of course, I could't access the subscription channels. It even downloaded programming info.

Any thoughts?

That part it will work. I have taken an deactivated Dish receiver and got EVu barker channels, but what Scott says is right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts