Dish Reception Question

scots

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 5, 2006
Raleigh, NC
I used to have Dish Network a while back. I had a Dish 500 mounted on the side of the house, not sure what model receiver. Back when I had that original setup I only lost signal one time during an EXTREMELY bad thunderstorm. It went out for about 20 minutes and then came back on. Other than that I never lost signal, had any pixellation, or any other reception problems (that I'm aware of).

I left Dish and went to Time Warner Cable for a couple years because they gave me a good deal to switch. The good deal ran out back in April so I switched back to Dish Network. I now have a Dish 1000 and a ViP 622 receiver. The dish is now mounted on a pole, only a couple feet from where the old dish was mounted on the side of the house. I had siding put on the house while I had TWC, and when the guy came to install the Dish 1000 he said they wouldn't attach a dish to vinyl siding.

Now that I have Dish again I can use it to to predict the weather. Pretty much every time a few minutes before it starts to rain the dish loses signal, and it doesn't usually come back until the rain starts to let up. It doesn't even have to be a bad rain either. I also semi-frequently have problems with the HD channels (even when the weather seems to be OK) with pixellation or sound cutting in and out. Regular channels seem to be OK, except during rain.

Do you think the dish might not be aligned properly? Could it have something to do with the Dish 1000? The fact that it's attached to a pole rather than mounted on my house? I'm in Raleigh, NC if that matters for anything. My signal levels when I checked about an hour ago were (they were fluctuating slightly, which I assume is normal):
110: 60-62
119: 91-93
129: 54-57

Also, when I was in there I ran the switch test just for the heck of it. When it was done the main screen said everything was OK, but when I went into the details screen I saw the following message:

"T[1] Invalid DishPro Switch detected, Code 15, A1"

I have the maintenance plan and don't have a problem with calling Dish about what's going on. I'd just like to get some input from some people so I can be a little more educated about the situation before I call. I'm definitely no satellite expert.

Thanks!

Last edited:
hall said:
You want me to copy and paste my answer here too ?? :D

LOL

Nope...I saw your answer over yonder. Just posted in both places to make sure I got some good info.

Thanks! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts