On HD RSNs and college football

Airblair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
No, this isn't yet another "So when are we going to have the RSNs in HD?" question. (Although any information would be appreciated.)

My question is related to that, and parts of it might also be unanswerable at this point, but here goes:

When the HD feeds of the RSNs go live, how much high-def college football are we realistically going to be able to look forward to?

I guess this question is really a two-parter: first, the games have to be produced in HD, and second, I have to be allowed to see the HD versions.

So, to the first part: does anybody have any idea how many games the Fox and Comcast RSN networks are planning to produce in HD this fall? (I do know there are schedules floating around for the ESPN, CBS, and ABC networks, but I'm not asking about those.)

And second: Many/most of my team's games are going to be on their local Fox RSN (Los Angeles), and I'm not even in that market (San Francisco). If I just wanted the SD version, I could get the multi-sports pack for the games that my local RSN won't have.

But as I understand it, DirecTV has a special events HD channel that they put HD MLB games on, assuming that you're eligible to receive those broadcasts. Since the eligibility rules for college football are far more lax than those of baseball, I'd assume that means a greater chance that I could see my team's games . . . if Dish was going to do something similar to DirecTV for all the college football games that will be produced in HD.

Or will they actually dedicate specific channels for specific HD RSNs? That seems to me like it would take up the most bandwidth, for channels that are SD most of the time.

Or will they have some kind of game plan package for these games?

So many questions, so little time before kickoff. Any answers would be appreciated. Hell, I'd settle for crazy speculation.

I'll respond mainly in an effort to keep this thread bumped. To me this is the biggest HD programming concern at the time. (Waiting of FoodHD was not a high priority for me)

I also do not know how to find out how many college games will be produced in HD by Fox. I emailed a guy at FoxSW last month and never got a response. Great huh?

Most of these RSN's are producing HD for Major League games. Hopefully, they are also ready to start some football in HD also, but who knows. I am also concerned about ABC getting their buts in gear for the Regional telecasts. Seems they only have HD scheduled for the night game on Saturdays.

I do know is that we are 10 days from kickoff and every OU game I watch in SD will be painful now that I have seen what it could be....lol

Here's hoping to a speedy resolve to both issues,
Clint

Airblair said:
So, to the first part: does anybody have any idea how many games the Fox and Comcast RSN networks are planning to produce in HD this fall?
I have not heard of ANY plans for FSN to produce college football games in HD. Don't think they did any games in HD last year. From the FSN HD information page...

FSN HD is the high-definition service that offers select professional games in HD from FSN, your premier destination for home team sports. These games will be simulcast from your primary FSN network but will have better clarity and a widescreen format. Call your local cable or satellite provider to find out if FSN HD is available in your area.

Last edited:
It's rare for a FSN college football game to be exclusive to just one RSN, they're usually on most every FSN channel, anyone with the multisport package can tell you that. So it's really a matter of whether Fox Sport Net national feed is going to be broadcast in HD, based on this website http://msn.foxsports.com/name/HD , i'd say the only thing you'd benefit from having the RSN in HD is that the SD game will look clearer.

Who knows, things change so maybe they have it all ready to go, but I doubt we'll see any college football on FSN HD this season

StormyQ said:
I have not heard of ANY plans for FSN to produce college football games in HD. Don't think they did any games in HD last year. From the FSN HD information page...

Well, I did find this article from last October:

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6266097.html?display=Programming

Along with the pro sports, Randy (Freer, FSN COO) said, FSN will look to telecast select college basketball games — including play within the Atlantic Coast Conference and Pac-10. “Next year I think you’ll see a pretty good increase in HD for college football,” he said. “I certainly hope we get to a point where all of our live programming is in HD, especially the pro games.”

I'm bumping my own thread for purely altruistic reasons . . .

My local RSN, FSN Bay Area, has come out with a schedule of college football games that will air in high definition:

http://fsnbayarea.com/Sched_CollegeHD.jsp

So that answers one question: there will be college football in high-definition on the RSNs this year.

The first one features my UCLA Bruins against Utah. That's this Saturday. There's no hope in hell I'll be able to see it, is there? The channel isn't even uplinked. (The HD version, that is. Nobody seems to know if the RSNs will have separate SD and HD uplinks, or if there will be a special channel for HD games.)

My understanding is that the national Pac-10 game each saturday will be produced in HD. Can you actually see it in HD? That's a whole other question. I believe it will be for sure be on D*, but I doubt it will be on Dish unless we get a surprise announcement.

Yeah I got to watch my Cowboys pound on the Gooners in HD!!! Overall you will see more sports in HD than you ever will with Direct TV. Direct is falling behind due to their behind the times and they are very slow about doing things and seems they are not in tune with their customers. Either way Dish Rocks and I will never go back to Cox Cable which stinks!! Also remeber this year Dish is the only one that is team up with TBS to show you the 6 diffrent camera angles this year LASooner the OU vs UAB game which is their 1st game is on TBS... :)

Last edited:
Poke said:
Also remeber this year Dish is the only one that is team up with TBS to show you the 6 diffrent camera angles this year LASooner the OU vs UAB game which is their 1st game is on TBS... :)

You mean they won't be airing that epic classic between OSU and Missouri state? :D Looks like Ark State game is on ESPNU and Houston is on CSTV though.

Well when my Cowboys get a little better I hope they get more TV time like they do for BB. But either way would be nice if Fox Sports Southwest did more CFB in HD.. :)

Yeah well that's true but if Fox SportsWest dont broadcast the game in HD it wont matter anyway. Either way the Network halfs to show the games in HD first..

It doesn't matter when it comes to BEDLAM it will usually be a great game.The only thing better than HD will be live at the stadium after some pregame festivities at Joe's.

Eskimo Joe's is a bit of a commute for me, the LA stands for Los Angeles. I try to get to one game a year, this year I'm going to Oregon. I'll have to "settle" for HD. :)

With the west stands torn up it'll be a tough ticket. They should setup folding chairs in the dirt or something. :eureka

We have several family members that are alumni from both OSU and OU so getting tickets hasn't been a big problem the last few years. It is just hard getting enough tickets. I usually wait for BB and the comfy confines of Gallagher/IBA.

The deciding factor for HD or no HD is mainly is there a HD production truck available. These monsters are very expensive and only 2 or 3 companies make and lease them. My guess is there are less than 50 in existence, and many are tied up by the NFL on Sunday and MLB throughout the week so they are not available for Saturday use for college football.

Yeah true about the trucks but CFB will get more HD time due to its to much of a cash cow for them not too. Either way I will be cool if Dish adds FoxSports SouthWest HD to the line up.. :)

Just a general question to anyone who may know about the RSNs. Will they be on spotbeams? Or will those of us with the sports mutipack be able to get the other RSNs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)