Dish Reduces HD Quality / Gray Block Artifacts

wizziwig

Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
I originally posted this on avsforum but thought it might be good to post here too (in case any Dish employees visit here):

Dish has been screwing around with their HD transponders lately. See this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...threadid=425446

I'm still unsure just how much worse the overall picture has gotten, but there's definitely new problems with their HD service. Ever since the transponder change, I've been seeing gray squares/blocks in solid colored areas of the screen. It's most obvious on the dark backgrounds in credits/titles. I'm including a screen shot of today's showing of "Attack of the Clones" as an example. These squares change in position and sometimes form longer lines (see the third shot).

Since Dish has not yet started using the extra transponder space, we should complain now and force them to put things back to their original state. Once they start adding new channels, we'll probably be stuck with these problems forever.

P.S. - I'm using a Dish 6000 but this doesn't look like a receiver specific problem.

Attachments

• grayblocks.zip
    204 KB · Views: 248
I noticed this for the first time this Sunday. Random small gray blocks on Six Feet Under on HBO HD. Hadn't ever seen that happen before.

I was using a 921 so I agree that it doesn't look like it is receiver dependent...

I've resized the pictures, if you want the full sized pics, download the above zip file.

grayblock0.jpg

grayblock1.jpg

grayblock2.jpg

I saw the same thing during Attack of the Clones last night, however I didn't really notice it outside of the credits. Did anybody see much of this during non-credit scenes? The reason I ask is that I think there's something about vertically scrolling text that can cause problems. I own an X1 projector and the infamous rainbow problem can be more pronounced during credits.

I think everyone should call/email/stop by Dish Network and let them know we won't let them kill HD like they did SD.

Sadly - I don't think a large enough percentage of their clients care about PQ in general. I know Dish doesn't care even a little tiny bit!

Mike Greer said:
I think everyone should call/email/stop by Dish Network and let them know we won't let them kill HD like they did SD.

Sadly - I don't think a large enough percentage of their clients care about PQ in general. I know Dish doesn't care even a little tiny bit!

Ah, but we are "paying" for the extra service. They better care....

chicken and egg - how many people will complain about NBC olympic coverage in HD / other channels coming in HD vs. a bump down in PQ? Seeing where SD picture went to make room for LIL, I think we know the answer already :)

I think the whole point of HD is quality over quantity. If you want quantity, just go watch the SD channels. People who subscribe to the HD service are looking for the best possible picture quality. Dish should not add any more HD channels unless they can do so without reducing quality.

wizziwig said:
I think the whole point of HD is quality over quantity. If you want quantity, just go watch the SD channels. People who subscribe to the HD service are looking for the best possible picture quality. Dish should not add any more HD channels unless they can do so without reducing quality.

Well said, I email Dish this morning stating that same thing.

Just checking if the "gray square" issue is still present on HBO_HD and SHO_HD? I've since unsubscribed from these channels but been told that Dish fixed the issue through a software upgrade. Can someone check and let me know if it's worth switching back to Dish for these channels?

Thanks.

I was generally satisfied with Dish HD (especially given recent changes at D*) except for the gray squares on black backgrounds for HBO/SHO. I heard people still saw them on Underworld (a dark movie) but would like it confirmed one way or the other using the latest firmware for their receiver.

Thanks.

While everyone here is complaining about E* screwing with their transponders and reducing HD quality on Dish, over on the Hometheaterspot, and on AVS forum (as Night Ryder notes above) there are threads where people are complaining about D* putting three HD channels per transponder on their satellites, and lowering the HD quality on DirectTV. No matter what, you can't win.

-- Albert

wizziwig said:
I was generally satisfied with Dish HD (especially given recent changes at D*) except for the gray squares on black backgrounds for HBO/SHO. I heard people still saw them on Underworld (a dark movie) but would like it confirmed one way or the other using the latest firmware for their receiver.

Thanks.

wizziwig: The squares are still there with the latest 811 software. I believe this is being caused by Dish running 3 HD channels per transponder, not the software.

NightRyder

alocher said:
While everyone here is complaining about E* screwing with their transponders and reducing HD quality on Dish, over on the Hometheaterspot, and on AVS forum (as Night Ryder notes above) there are threads where people are complaining about D* putting three HD channels per transponder on their satellites, and lowering the HD quality on DirectTV. No matter what, you can't win.

-- Albert

The worst thing about all this is that E* hasn't gone back to 2 channels per transponder even though they seem to be in no hurry to add any more HD programming. Even if they can't match D* channel for channel they could at least claim best satellite HD picture. :no :mad:

NightRyder

I think we will see crappy quality on hd on both dish and Directv for about 6 months. This should give Dish time to add the new satellite Echostar10 up in orbit. Then you might see the hd being moved to 105 sat . Directv is waiting till the first spaceway satellites launch early next year. Then you know what they have in mind.

It is like both Dish and Directv decided to add three hd channels per transponder at the same time. Hence the free 6 months of hd pack on Directv for both Existing and new customers. Dish is only offering free 6months for new customers. Bad decision on Dish's part. It looks like both companies are saying " Yes we know the quality is bad so a free 6 months for your trouble." Except Dish were the only way Existing customers can do anything in response is to drop the hd pack till picture quality improves. I have done so and I would encourage others who don't like the picture quality to do so as well.

Maybe if Dish gets enough hd downgrades they will see there is a problem and do something to put this back the picture quality the way it was.

NightRyder said:
wizziwig: The squares are still there with the latest 811 software. I believe this is being caused by Dish running 3 HD channels per transponder, not the software.

NightRyder

NightRyder,

Thanks for replying. Do you remember what show/time you last saw the squares? Maybe we can try to get Dish to fix it once we have more details. It definitely looks like a bug that they can correct on their end.

Thanks.

wizziwig said:
NightRyder,

Thanks for replying. Do you remember what show/time you last saw the squares? Maybe we can try to get Dish to fix it once we have more details. It definitely looks like a bug that they can correct on their end.

Thanks.

They seem to appear on both the opening and closing credits of Six Feet Under on a regular basis. Of course the more dimly lit a scene is, the more noticeable they are.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)