dish referral problem

2001kx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
well i got my uncle to sign up with dish a few days ago and gave him my referral number so i could get the discount.
when he called and gave my number they said they couldnt use it because they have a special right now w/ free
installation???
what kind of scam job is this?

Oh no, it can't be added after the fact either. Sounds like a retailer wanted maximum commission, I don't believe dish would have done that. That mistake cost him a $50 instant credit on his 1st bill & you 10 $5 monthly credits.
Sorry to hear about this. Try pm'ing dirt about it.

well i got my uncle to sign up with dish a few days ago and gave him my referral number so i could get the discount.
when he called and gave my number they said they couldnt use it because they have a special right now w/ free
installation???
what kind of scam job is this?

Sounds like he called a retailer and not dish directly.

Just a guess but do believe the worst offenders are retailers who do sales only. Those that spam our mailboxes & endless flyers through snail mail. Many don't realize they're not calling dish directly when calling 1 of these #'s.

The right thing for dish to do is honor this referral & send a warning to the offending retailer.

Right. National or Regional Retailer, not a local one.

National and Regional retailers just make the pitch and take the order. Some say things that they shouldn't.

That # is for "GoDish" a retailer. Most of us have probably received their junk mail at some point.

Zach beat me to it.

Last edited:
Just a guess but do believe the worst offenders are retailers who do sales only. Those that spam our mailboxes & endless flyers through snail mail. Many don't realize they're not calling dish directly when calling 1 of these #'s. The right thing for dish to do is honor this referral & send a warning to the offending retailer.

The problem is that the referrals cost the retailers $50 for Dish sales and $75 for Directv sales.

Many retailers will penalize the sales reps for taking a referral, because otherwise some sales people will abuse it and do referrals on their home account.

I had one girl in my office refer 10 customers with her account, and to her surprise I went back and charged her $75 for each one.

A true referral I have no issue with as they are few and far between.

Even when I had the Dishstore $125 rebate offer, everyday I had to fight people trying to combine the offer with a referral, till finally I just put in the terms that a referral is an automatic $50 reduction in the rebate offer.

If your not getting any offers above and beyond the standard offer with Dish, and don't get the referral credit, then you should file a complaint against the retailer because that's not fair they wouldn't honor it.

Claude I'm all too familiar with the cost of referrals. The problem I have with sales people that are on commission is the fact many will dodge referrals because it dings their check.