DISH Releases 21 James Bond Flicks in 4K for Holiday Binge-Watching

Sand farmer, I thought that your YouTube video was very informative. He did a good job explaining it very clearly.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: SandFarmer
Sand farmer, I thought that your YouTube video was very informative. He did a good job explaining it very clearly.

Great! I collect things like that to help explain all this and forget most of it. So I am glad that I had that one and that it helped.

Yes, on my Hopper 3, sorry.

It should be downloading the movie to the hard drive IF you were fast enough to select "Watch Later", which I am seeing is hard to do these days. It defaults and wants to jump to "Watch Now" right off. In that case I back out using the "Back" button and it takes me to the info page where it shows it DLing and the speed that it is. BUT then as I watch the speed it says it's downloading at 2-3x the actual speed I have . . .

If there are any "issues", i.e., I have a 200Mbps connection and my H3 is also hardwired but showing that it's only connecting to the switch at 10/100, although I have a Gigabit Network, have gotten bandwidth errors. So I am thinking that since it jumps to the "Watch Now" and plays right off, it's trying to play before there's enough to spool and hangs, thus the errors. That's why I always give it a couple minutes to DL before I start watching.

Here's this also: Hopper 3 DVR receiver is not getting enough bandwidth
and this is the DISH 4K page that says all you need is a 10Mbps connection. "You need to have a download speed of at least 10mbps to show any content in 4K or 4K HDR resolution.": 4K Content | MyDISH | DISH Customer Support

Dumb question time. Does the H3 (or anything for that matter) provide 4K or HDR from the component outputs?

Some HDR is greatly color exaggerated. For example, there is no tomato on this planet that is as red as one you might see with HDR. Then there are some HDR films that are already dialed down. Contrast ratios are good, but color is subdued. So, it's really hit or miss.
You remember films with technicolor? They were very colorful and bright. I think HDR is like the techicolor tv version.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You remember films with technicolor? They were very colorful and bright. I think HDR is like the techicolor tv version.

"Yes." But that was part of the grand scheme as was Pathé. HDR is a toy masquerading as a thing we need. I was playing with mine last night and the PQ was better without it 8 out of 10 times.

It should be downloading the movie to the hard drive IF you were fast enough to select "Watch Later", which I am seeing is hard to do these days. It defaults and wants to jump to "Watch Now" right off. In that case I back out using the "Back" button and it takes me to the info page where it shows it DLing and the speed that it is. BUT then as I watch the speed it says it's downloading at 2-3x the actual speed I have . . .

If there are any "issues", i.e., I have a 200Mbps connection and my H3 is also hardwired but showing that it's only connecting to the switch at 10/100, although I have a Gigabit Network, have gotten bandwidth errors. So I am thinking that since it jumps to the "Watch Now" and plays right off, it's trying to play before there's enough to spool and hangs, thus the errors. That's why I always give it a couple minutes to DL before I start watching.

Here's this also: Hopper 3 DVR receiver is not getting enough bandwidth
and this is the DISH 4K page that says all you need is a 10Mbps connection. "You need to have a download speed of at least 10mbps to show any content in 4K or 4K HDR resolution.": 4K Content | MyDISH | DISH Customer Support
Thanks, but it looks like all I needed to do was reboot it. I'm watching "The Spy Who Loved Me" now, though I have to say it looks pretty much the same as my blu-ray copy.

"Yes." But that was part of the grand scheme as was Pathé. HDR is a toy masquerading as a thing we need. I was playing with mine last night and the PQ was better without it 8 out of 10 times.
I had the 4k version of the Amazon fire stick and then I got the 4k version with HDR and the picture immediately improved on my 4k tv with HDR. It was like the picture came to life with the HDR compared to just 4k . But at first I had to adjust to the picture on my tv with HDR. There is more color than I was used to but now I don't want to watch with out it.

I had the 4k version of the Amazon fire stick and then I got the 4k version with HDR and the picture immediately improved on my 4k tv with HDR.

I grew weak this afternoon and picked up a Hisense 55" UHD/HDR Roku TV for $248 from Walmart. I even made it in and out in about 10 minutes.

I grew weak this afternoon and picked up a Hisense 55" UHD/HDR Roku TV for $248 from Walmart. I even made it in and out in about 10 minutes.
The price of TVs just blows my mind. I remember cashing in promotional "dollars" and combining them with my employee discount to get a 32" ProScan for $784. I thought it was a steal.

Reactions: TheKrell
Just watched Goldfinger in 4K and it didn’t look that much better than it did on DVD.

And no it was not in HDR or Dolby Vision. Just 4K.

I started watching You Only Live Twice (my fave) on Amazon Prime, and must admit it looked rather stunning compared to what I've seen before.

So far, so bad. This TV looks impressively sharp even on Dish HD channels. But when I use the EPIX On Demand feature to select a Bond film (actually I picked Arrival instead) and try to watch it, the signal from the Hopper to the TV goes away! What the heck?

Both TV and Hopper claim they will switch to 4K when possible. I need another source of 4K.

Reactions: charlesrshell