Dish Remote Access App (iPhone/iPad) AirPlay Support

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mediajohn

Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
NJ
Does the Dish Remote Access app for iPhone/iPad support AirPlay?

Since there's no Sling Receiver 300 available, this would allow the streaming of Sling video from the app to a TV via an Apple TV device, albeit with some decreased quality.

Does the Dish Remote Access app for iPhone/iPad support AirPlay?

Since there's no Sling Receiver 300 available, this would allow the streaming of Sling video from the app to a TV via an Apple TV device, albeit with some decreased quality.

No third-party iOS applications can support AirPlay until Apple releases iOS v4.3, which is currently in beta testing.

So what's the likelihood that Dish will update the app to support it (this seems to cut into their business of selling additional receivers+fees, and/or Sling Receiver 300 if/when it becomes available).

Also, if a TV is being watched on a 922/722+adapter, is that HD simulcast to the app (like a real Sling), or does it automatically use TV2? Or do you physically get to pick TV1/TV2 of the receiver side?

No simultcast with the Sling Adapter. The 722 pops up a screen saying TV2 is in use, and offering you the choice of stealing the stream back again. I think the 922 is the same way.

iOS has been updated and it appears that Dish Remote Access supports AirPlay, at least you're able to select AirPlay when playing a video. However, has anyone tried using Apple TV's Airplay with Dish Network Remote access. When I try to access videos (e.g. Blockbuster @ Home) from Dish Network Remote Access and mirror them using Airplay, I get message that there was an error loading the content and to please try again later.

I can watch the videos on my iPad, I just can't seem to mirror them from Dish Remote Access. I can mirror YouTube and videos from other apps (e.g. FoxTube, a third party app).

iOS has been updated and it appears that Dish Remote Access supports AirPlay, at least you're able to select AirPlay when playing a video. However, has anyone tried using Apple TV's Airplay with Dish Network Remote access. When I try to access videos (e.g. Blockbuster @ Home) from Dish Network Remote Access and mirror them using Airplay, I get message that there was an error loading the content and to please try again later.

I can watch the videos on my iPad, I just can't seem to mirror them from Dish Remote Access. I can mirror YouTube and videos from other apps (e.g. FoxTube, a third party app).

I don't subscribe to BB@Home, but I just fired up DRA and was able to watch my Hopper content via Airplay, and by selecting mirroring.

Thanks for the response. Sounds like you're taking about viewing content from your DVR. I can see that as well. What I'm talking about is viewing content only offered from BB@Home, On Demand, etc.; basically stuff that's not on your DVR, content that is only offered from DRA. I can view the content on my iPad, but when I try to mirror using AirPlay, that content will not play.

Thanks for the response. Sounds like you're taking about viewing content from your DVR. I can see that as well. What I'm talking about is viewing content only offered from BB@Home, On Demand, etc.; basically stuff that's not on your DVR, content that is only offered from DRA. I can view the content on my iPad, but when I try to mirror using AirPlay, that content will not play.

I would think that is disabled on purpose. They would rather you watch the OnDemand and BB@Home content using your receiver. It's probably a rights issue.

Possibly, but I can watch the content on my iPad. Just can't mirror it on my TV via AirPlay. If that's the case, I'm not even sure why Dish has the capability to use AirPlay. The whole point of AirPlay is to mirror whatever you're seeing on the iPad/iPhone to your TV. If the content is already on my DVR, I would simply just watch it from my DVR.

I see what your saying. The new Amazon Instant Video app is kind of the same way. When you select to mirror, it wil play the audio, and not the video.

The Airplay feature isn't something that's on by default for all videos played back on the iPad. Developers have to essentially toggle the feature on for the video to be sent. I'm not intimately familiar with how video is played back on the iPad, but I would guess that there might even be some HDCP like flag that can be enabled that causes copy-protected video to throw up an error when someone tries to send it over Airplay. Much like when you try to Airplay a video downloaded from the iTunes store to a device that's not approved by Apple.

I get what you are saying, it should work... but it doesn't. I'm just saying, that more than likely, the people that own the OnDemand and BB@Home offerings don't want it to work. DVR recordings do work because that is essentially a copy for your own personal use.

It may be copy protection. Just seems illogical. I can watch the video on my iPad for personal use, but can't mirror that to my tv for personal use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)