Dish Remote Access for Sling Adapter and Blackberry 9700

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Doppelbok67

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
In the mitten
Hello... I thought I'd open up a new thread on this issue, because I can't find anything of any real substance in these forums covering it. I understand the app is in beta, but I was finally able to install it on my 9700. However, I can never get the app to connect... after inputting my DISH online ID and password, it says 'logging in' but then says 'Unable to connect. Retry?'.

I think there's a lot of misinformation being tossed around about this app, depending on who you talk to. A Blackberry support person at TMobile even told me she thought the app needed a flash player! A Dish tech on the phone at Dish Network told me to try being logged into remote access on my computer first before trying to access it on my mobile... and that didn't work. The person wasn't clear on whether or not I needed to just be online with the sling adapter, looking at the grid, or if I needed to actually have it activated and watching something before switching to mobile for the first time. Let me make it clear that the sling adapter has been activated on my Dish and works fine with my laptop and desktop computers.

Is there anyone here that has been successful with the DRA app for Blackberry? Are there any DISH techs who have some experience with this issue? The version number of the app is 0.1.0.1.11. Thank you for any information or help.

Last edited:
I have the same problem with my 9700 via T-mobile. It will never connect. I am running 0.1.0.11. I changed the app to WiFi preferred, and I can successfully connect when using WiFi. I can then switch to 3G by turning off WiFi, and so long as I do not exit the application it will work over 3G.
I have a 722 conencted to my Linksys router to Comcast internet via copper.
I have no problem using the adapter via my laptop browser.

dwatja, I have the same setup as you, right down to the Linksys router and Comcast for my internet. I also have my 9700 setup as 'wifi preferred', and it finds my home network immediately. I talked to another Dish tech yesterday, and they seem to think it's an issue with the 9700 and the current DRA software. All they could say was they're working on the issue and to keep trying to 'sign up' for the beta on their webpage daily. As of right now, the link they send in the email wont even let you install the software, and says the 9700 (I don't know about other models) is not supported. Incidentally, I got version 0.1.0.11 via another dish/sling webpage and it installed correctly on my 9700... it just never connects, with either wifi or 3G. Do you remember each step you took to get it working on the mobile? I have Comcast's performance tier, at 6 down, 1 up... so I know it's fast enough. It works great on my laptop and desktop.

I have the BB 9700 on AT&T and I am able to connect just fine over 3G with DRA. One bug I have noticed is that I cannot connect to it over WIFI if I am at home (same network with the Slingbox). I am using a Slingbox Pro though and not the sling adapter so I'm not sure if that is only a problem with stand-alone slongboxes or not.

My other major complaint is that I cannot figure out how to FF, RW, Pause when viewing programs via DRA on BB - only thing I can figure is tht feature didn't make it yet.

Doppelbok67,
I can't say what I did. Nothing unusual. I signed up for the beta pretty early and recived the link and installed it via the link on my 9700. It wouldn't connect via 3G, so I tried it over wifi and it worked fine. I didn't change any settings other than "wifi preferred". I guess I should be more clear about the fact that it connects via wifi inside or outside my own network, so it is getting through modem and firewall. If I am then connected, I can hit the hangup key to exit back to the home screen without closing the program. I can then drop the wifi connection and stream via 3G. I'm in the greater Chicago area.

I thought I'd give everyone an update. As of a few days ago, the link that Dish Network sends in the email after signing up finally worked! I was able to install version 0.1.0.11 the proper way. After this, I was able to access all receiver programming, including my DVR, on my BB 9700 through Wifi... but at that time I still couldn't get 3G to work. But as of this morning, I was able to finally also connect with 3G! It appears Dish Network has been working on the issue and at least in my case, they came through.

Keep in mind that I only have a BB 9700 and have only tested the app on my own phone, for both Wifi and 3G... I have no way of testing the other BBs that are supported through the beta, and of course, all situations are different. But this was very good news, and hopefully everyone else will have similar results. The sling player mobile application is, in a word, sweet... now I just need to know what buttons to use for DVR-like controls.

I had DRA installed and working on my AT&T Bold 9000 before I replaced it with the 9700, so at least those two models work.

I just re-tried over 3G based on the commnets and I can now connect and stream, but if I choose a DVR recording, I just get live TV. I can't start DVR recordings over 3G. Anyone else seeing this?
Also, does anyone if there is a way to FF, RR and skip?

I just re-tried over 3G based on the commnets and I can now connect and stream, but if I choose a DVR recording, I just get live TV. I can't start DVR recordings over 3G. Anyone else seeing this?
Also, does anyone if there is a way to FF, RR and skip?

Recording or watching DVR content works fine on my BB 9700 with both 3G and Wifi. As far as additional controls such as FF, RR, skip, and pause, I talked to a Dish tech yesterday who said there are none in the current beta, but they are being considered for future releases.

Yes, I have it running on my Torch, but there is a reason why they are attempting to restrict the download to "supported" devices. The layout is not optimized at all for the display size of the Torch and only a few touch controls. Not sure if the other buggy behaviors I see are device specific or just part of this beta for everyone.

Easiest way to get it on the Torch (and probably other BB device types) is to go directly at the app download: http://download.slingmedia.com/Dish/0.1.0.11/DISHRemoteAccess.jad

Last edited:
Hey analogue, thanks for the link. This worked like a charm. I had used a quirky procedure I found on a Blackberry website but I could never get it to work. I uninstalled that, installed from your link, and had it going in a minute. Works fine, right now I am going through my home wifi. Next I'll try it around town. It's not perfect, but it's handy to catch a show now and then. In the end, I will use my laptop a lot more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts