Dish Remote Access, no Internet needed?

AriesGodofWar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
Fenton, Mo
Okay, not sure where I have been, but looked at the Dish Website and noticed that for certain receivers, that one need not have their box connected to the internet to gain the ability to remote schedule. This seems like kind of a big deal (I know for me it is as I have my whole house set up on Wi-Fi with no hard wire and could not justify the cost of HomePlug just to remote schedule).

Message on my account says:
DISH Remote Access has new expanded availability -- no internet connection is required for your receiver. CLICK HERE to access.

Has anyone else seen or tried this? Does it work? Thought this would be big news, but I had no clue of this feature. Am I the only clueless one?

It works for all ViP DVR's now. If you have broadband, then stuff is send to the DVR instantly, however if you dont have broadband the timers are only sent to the receiver once every 30 minutes.

Your better off having broadband hooked up. :)

It works for all ViP DVR's now. If you have broadband, then stuff is send to the DVR instantly, however if you dont have broadband the timers are only sent to the receiver once every 30 minutes.

Your better off having broadband hooked up. :)

I can deal with the 30 min batching. I do not know how many times I have been sitting at work and had the random realization that something I want to record will be coming on to then call my wife and try to explain when and where it is on so she can set the timer up. Any idea when this went live? Was it formally announced here at Satteliteguys.com and I missed it?

Is this not for 501/508/510 receivers as well? If not then that may be due to them being phased out due to not being 8PSK.

I tried it. I unplugged my homeplug adaptor. You can add timers to your receivers, but you cannot delete or make changes to them unless you have a broadband connection.

The only downside to having a broadband connection is that you cannot look up or pay your Dish bill thru the receiver. You have to unplug your broadband/homeplug adaptor in order to pay your bill online or look at your account.

Is Dish aware that it does this? Are they going to straighten it out?

This is awesome. I don't have internet at my house (can't get highspeed other than satellite). I don't mind the 30 minute wait. I already tested it so I'll see how well it works when I get home.

Assigning receiver

Question. I just set up for access without broadband, just phone. I scheduled a recording, but was not given the option of which of my two 722's to record to, nor could I find anything. They are both connected to phone line. Can it be done without BB?

Last edited:
I have 2 - 622 receivers. In the upper left hand corner next to the Dish logo shows my receiver number with a drop down number next to it. Click on that drop down arrow and you can select which receiver you are looking at.

Ok - I have broadband access - hooked up to one of my receivers - and dish.sling.com has worked fine for remote access.

So, now when I go to that address, it says this page is here, but not for long. It says soon, go to dishnetwork.com, previously, I could not register my account here since I bundle with my phone company. However, now I can get (some) account access through this page. (this is progress). The link is there for remote access.

When I try the remote access, I am getting inconsistent results. It has worked (twice or so), but for the most part I get the "Connecting .... " box with a cancel to continue as an offline user.

I have verified/reset my broadband connection on the receiver (a 722).

I was hoping this updated remote access would allow access to my second receiver which does not have an internet connection. But now I'm not getting a reliable connection on the primary receiver with the broadband connection.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Everything in spansih now

First post here. Tried tv anywhere and it only shows me Spanish stations and I cant figure out how to fix it. Weird.

It has been royally screwed up for me. Remote access was working well until they added the off-line access without broadband. Now the channels are wrong and that times are off when I go to remote access. I set an off-line recording for two episodes of scrubs last night. When I got home they were priority one and two but there was no title nor channel on the timers. They did have the right descriptions for the shows. They did not record.

Hope they fix it soon. Right now is quite useless.

Mitch

I've tested it on 2 different sets, both, which are hooked up to broadband. I find that while I have no problems using broadband with the boxes, only one of them seems to be recognized by the remote feature. I guess it's not a big deal since I can still record shows on either TV now but it would have been nice to have both working properly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)