dish remote access sling quality @ 384kbps upload.

Thing is I called my isp to change the upload to 1mb but when I did I wasn't receiving the speeds due to some issue on their network so I had to stay with 300~400kbps.

50% of the quality looks like crap due to my camera, but overall no freezing or audio sync problems.

Atleast its something rather than having nothing to watch while away from home:D

Interesting that it is working with such low bandwidth. For PC use, the minimum recommended is 4Mbps (HD content). On a mobile device, the current spec is 500kbps for HD/SD. Whatever is letting it work, I would certainly not change it! ;)

Tony, The quality is not sd but its acceptable, I will see if I can record directly from my computer so you can see.

In the video I was using my 3g data card 700kbps-1mb download speed on the computer.

this is the speed at home where the 922 is connected

Still can't believe I watched deadliest catch yesterday without a single interruption:D

Interesting that it is working with such low bandwidth. For PC use, the minimum recommended is 4Mbps (HD content). On a mobile device, the current spec is 500kbps for HD/SD. Whatever is letting it work, I would certainly not change it! ;)

I've used it on a 256 kilobit download connection before. It's not the greatest, but I was using the actual Slingplayer application on the laptop and not the garbage plugin thing on the web. The player lets you tweak a bunch of settings and turn the resolution down and frames per second down. Ahhh...the old days when the Slingplayer was awesome.

I've used it on a 256 kilobit download connection before. It's not the greatest, but I was using the actual Slingplayer application on the laptop and not the garbage plugin thing on the web. The player lets you tweak a bunch of settings and turn the resolution down and frames per second down. Ahhh...the old days when the Slingplayer was awesome.

This is what should be ajustable.....on busy days my home internet realy slows down. Would be wonderfull if you could ajust upload speeds in these times....get sick and tired of picture freezing, 2 minutes later you get the pop up that its been disconected...Then you refresh and it tells you someone else is loged in, you override that...next thing you know its 5 minutes latter!!!!

I HATE the idea of dish moving remote access to dish online:rant:
I set 3 timers on dishonline and guess what? the receiver didn't schedule the recordings, I went to dish remote access and scheduled the same recordings and they appeared.

Now I would really love a dedicated sling player app from dish that just works.
If they are working on apps for almost every mobile platform they shouldn't have a problem developing a desktop client for both PC and Mac users.

I have used sling on the iphone going cross country on edge (i.e. 2G) and it works. It can drop and studder between towers, but for the most part it works well.

Bottom Line sling equipment is only as good as the connection and bandwidth.

This was always believed to be the case, but you should see the difference between using the dish app or web plugin vs the actual slingplayer app.

Download is not the craziest thing to hear, but the upload is below spec (where the 922 is). Previously, the minimum spec said 150 kbps upload, but they recently changed that to 500 kbps minimum (upload speed where receiver is) due to intermittent streaming problems. The fact that its working is a great thing. Perhaps they just made the number higher to make it easier to understand that streaming issues could be related to the speed of the home network.

Either way, its working! LOL Nice!

Last edited:
You mean settings like these?

Attachments

• slingsettings.jpg
    slingsettings.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 247
Where did you read the change to the minimum upload speed? What's strange to me is that my bandwidth has not changed with AT&T. I have about 350 - 375 up and have been able to stream out and down to my iphone via 3G with ZERO stutters after the first 10 seconds or so...even worked via E....and I never had to change the iPhone app to SQ from HQ...stayed on HQ all the time. No problems. Now, I did get a new DSL modem and a new Wireless router but my upload is consistently 350 - 375 and my download is 5.8 down. So, did Dish/Sling change their app on my iphone so that my old upload is no longer sufficient or has something changed that makes a diffference on my end? keep in mind I have no issues connecting, starting, optimizing the sling as the app starts. Also, via WIFI on premises I get very consistent video and audio. But when using 3G I get stutters ever 20 seconds....audio with no video sometimes.....might work occasionally for 1 min with no issue. Via WIFI no issues. Also I noticed that when using via 3G and getting the issues I talked about I get about anywhere from 400 kbps (as seen in the app on the iphone via 3G) but occasionally I'll see that drop to like 96. Is AT&T doing something to limit sling? Why would that change so much?

For hardware I have a netopia 2241n-006 dsl modem and a netgear wireless router model N150. I have my DSL ethernet plugged into a regular LAN port on the router (not using uplink). I tried using the DSL as bridged to the Netgear but saw the same problems. I've turned off every single firewall or secure thing on the router and nothing helps, including turning on QoS and even setting a rule in it to give my DVR highest priority via MAC address. I am exhausted from this....starting to think Sling changed the app somehow to require more bandwidth or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)