Dish Remote Access / Sling

I, too, have my service bundled with AT&T services...and am happily using the sling guide. I signed up for it on the sling guide website while it was still in beta... is it no longer able to be done that way?

Your still able to use the Sling Guide but I have never been able to view my programs on my DVR and I have always been told that. But I read somewhere that you are suppose to be able to watch your DVR programs from the Sling Guide web site but I don't see where you can.

Well if it is the same site and your able to watch your DVR programs on your PC then something is wrong with mine. I go to the Sling Guide site and when I click on one of my recorded programs it says to play on TV or delete. There is no option to play on my PC. I have an ITouch and it does the same thing.

Also I am a AT&T customer so I get my Dish bundled with my phone service and I am unable register my Dish on the Dish remote access web site. I called dish and they said because it is through AT&T I can't access use the site. :(

To play a recorded program on your PC, you must have a Slingplayer. The upcoming 922S will have the Slingplayer incorporated into the receiver.

To play a recorded program on your PC, you must have a Slingplayer. The upcoming 922S will have the Slingplayer incorporated into the receiver.

I think you meant to say 'Slingbox'

Slingbox = Unit that connects your receiver to the internet/network
Slingplayer = S/W you download to your PC to watch your TV programs

Your still able to use the Sling Guide but I have never been able to view my programs on my DVR and I have always been told that. But I read somewhere that you are suppose to be able to watch your DVR programs from the Sling Guide web site but I don't see where you can.

Do you have a slingbox installed? If not, that is why. You have to buy/install a slingbox in order to view your programs.

YES, you can program your DVR to record or anything else you would do with your Dish remote at home with a Slingbox. There is a bit of a delay but after you get used to it it's no biggie.

Ed

Ah - so this doesn't really add anything at all if you have a slingbox already.
It would be very useful for me if you could just wake the darn thing up with the remote access since I use the IR blasters on another unit.

Does anyone know any trick to tell the unit to come out of sleep mode at a certain time so I can watch remotely? Does setting a recorder to "auto tune" instead of record do anything of the sort?

Hmm, I think I may post a separate topic about that?

Well if it is the same site and your able to watch your DVR programs on your PC then something is wrong with mine. I go to the Sling Guide site and when I click on one of my recorded programs it says to play on TV or delete. There is no option to play on my PC. I have an ITouch and it does the same thing.

Isn't play on TV the same thing as play on PC????? If you choose play on TV the slingbox will then transmit it just like anything else and you can watch in the computer, right?

Yes I do. I have a slingbox AV and there is still no option on the Sling Guide site to watch my DVR programing. :( Should there be?

I have no clue.

Have you added that Slingbox to your receiver on the Dish/Sling site?

I know when I was messing around with it last night there was an option for my receiver to "Add a Slingbox".

Isn't play on TV the same thing as play on PC????? If you choose play on TV the slingbox will then transmit it just like anything else and you can watch in the computer, right?

No, there should be an option 'Play on Web'. 'Play on TV' just changes the channel. You must add your Slingbox before you can watch on web.

Log into sling(dot)com and you will have a web based sling player. If your on a work computer you will still need rights to install the plug-ins. But if you have rights and use the web based version your software (Singplayer) won't stick out like a sore thumb on their audits, but your bandwidth usage will. If your company doesn't monitor or your on a home computer the Slingplayer is a better peice of software.

Last edited:
No, there should be an option 'Play on Web'. 'Play on TV' just changes the channel. You must add your Slingbox before you can watch on web.

Oh! In that case, I don't have it set up right either!

But all it is doing is basically launching a webbased version of slingplayer, right? It's still just switching the channel on the TV since it's still hooked up to the slingplayer through the same outputs it's always been.

I'm on dish.sling.com and it says "DISH remote access". I'm using my sling account password to login and everything, and I thought I added the slingplayer when I set everything up additionally, but maybe there's something more I have to do?

I went ahead and told to add a slingbox and put in the finder ID, but I think it was there already;

But now I see that "Watch on Web" is there - but it is only there as a drop down box if you hit the arrow next to "Watch on TV."

:what
From reading this thread, it seems that Dish Remote Access does not really provide value even though Dish Remote Access is free. Neither does a sling box which costs.

Why would I even what to bother?

Guess you should do some research and see everything a slingbox can do. And being able to program your DVR from a distant location for free is no value? Ok...

My slingguide grid is always an hour off. For example, programs that start start at 5pm say that they start at 4pm. The computer clock is set correctly and the slingguide also has the correct time. I am in the pacific time zone, it seems that the slingguide thinks I am in a different time zone. Is anyone else experiencing this problem or am I just doing something wrong? If so, does anyone know how to correct this problem. I can't find anything in preferences to make any changes. Refreshing doesn't help. Future timers do work but tuning to a current program brings me to whatever happens to be on at the time. Thanks for your help.

My slingguide grid is always an hour off. For example, programs that start start at 5pm say that they start at 4pm. The computer clock is set correctly and the slingguide also has the correct time. I am in the pacific time zone, it seems that the slingguide thinks I am in a different time zone. Is anyone else experiencing this problem or am I just doing something wrong? If so, does anyone know how to correct this problem. I can't find anything in preferences to make any changes. Refreshing doesn't help. Future timers do work but tuning to a current program brings me to whatever happens to be on at the time. Thanks for your help.
is there any options for daylight savings that might be set incorrectly?

I don't see a way to change the daylight savings time on the guide. My computer is set correctly. Funny thing is that all was well when the slingguide was in beta testing, this started after the release.

YES, you can program your DVR to record or anything else you would do with your Dish remote at home with a Slingbox. There is a bit of a delay but after you get used to it it's no biggie.

Ed

BTW, I'm sure you can't view your programming, recorded or live, via remote access unless you have a Slingbox hooked up to your receiver---unless you have a 922. Correct me if I'm wrong???

You are correct. The confusion is that Remote Access allows you to send the command via the internet to begin playing back a recorded DVR event. It then plays at home on the TV, but you can't watch it from the site. I'm certain that button or command is really there for those with the Sling or the forthcoming 922.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)