Dish Remote Control App

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

CraziFuzzy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 15, 2004
I've been with dish for many years, and do like it. I use it primarily with SageTV though, and never interact with the boxes directly. I do have an interesting question though. Dish seems to have rolled out, as part of their Sling add-on to the 722 boxes, a remote control app for iOS and Android. Is there something inherent in the Sling adapter that is enabling this, or could they implement this function to all their broadband connected devices (like my old 211's). I like that DirecTV now supports controlling the box via ethernet, and would love to be able to do the same with my 211's. Any ideas?

DISH has been sending out commands over Ethernet since the beginnings of DISH Remote Access. I'm pretty sure all the ViP models support it and probably a couple other models that have Ethernet ports. AFAIK, there isn't an API to allow 3rd-party apps to be built, you'd have to dedicate the time to reverse engineer it as I doubt DISH would ever put up an SDK for people to work with. It would be a nice solution if it could somehow be integrated with SageTV or Media Center setups. It certainly would make their receivers easier to work with.

DISH has been sending out commands over Ethernet since the beginnings of DISH Remote Access. I'm pretty sure all the ViP models support it and probably a couple other models that have Ethernet ports. AFAIK, there isn't an API to allow 3rd-party apps to be built, you'd have to dedicate the time to reverse engineer it as I doubt DISH would ever put up an SDK for people to work with. It would be a nice solution if it could somehow be integrated with SageTV or Media Center setups. It certainly would make their receivers easier to work with.

That's just it, I'd love to reverse engineer it, but I cant' even enable the remote access on my account, because I don't have a 722. I feel confident I'd be able to sniff out how its done if I could trigger the button presses from my phone (I'm figuring the protocol would be the same between the 211's and the 722).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)