Dish Remotes Controlling other devices

areoh

Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
KC, USA
Greetings!

We're a small non-profit blood banking organization and use Dish Hoppers and wireless Joey units with 54.0 remotes. We have two Hopper units and eight Joey units in close proximity to each other - I would say the Joey's are about 10 feet form each other with the televisions being slightly closer.)

I am not an expert (or even a Dish user,) thus why I'm posting here.

Our donors, while in their "apheresis beds," giving blood, have discovered that the remotes will sometimes "control other donor TV's" like changing the channel, etc. This was just recently reported to us and I'm not sure how long the issue has been occurring (the site has been in use with this solution for nearly three years.) I have confirmed the issue but am not at the site to do any real-time troubleshooting, unfortunately. This means that any changes that need to be made requires an on-site visit after-hours.

Is it possible to pair each remote to one particular Joey/TV so they do not interfere with each other?

Many thanks!

Good afternoon, areoh. While making sure that the remotes are only paired to one Joey, it's a little harder to make sure that only one of the TV's is being controlled by a single remote. While the remote can be paired to a specific Joey, the TV codes sometimes coincide with each other and may cause multiple TVs to be controlled at one time.

Please feel free to visit our website: MyDISH. There will be instructions to re-pair the remote to the TV and how to un-pair and re-pair the remote to the receiver.

Good afternoon, areoh. While making sure that the remotes are only paired to one Joey, it's a little harder to make sure that only one of the TV's is being controlled by a single remote. While the remote can be paired to a specific Joey, the TV codes sometimes coincide with each other and may cause multiple TVs to be controlled at one time.

Please feel free to visit our website: MyDISH. There will be instructions to re-pair the remote to the TV and how to un-pair and re-pair the remote to the receiver.
Thank you, Dish Support!

Is this something that would fall under a possible tech-visit to assist with?

Thank you, Dish Support!

Is this something that would fall under a possible tech-visit to assist with?
The problem is that if the TVs use the same IR code (if they are the same brand/model, then they will use the same codes), there isn't really anything that can be done, other than if you can physically block the line of sight from the remote to the TVs that it shouldn't be controlling.

The problem is that if the TVs use the same IR code (if they are the same brand/model, then they will use the same codes), there isn't really anything that can be done, other than if you can physically block the line of sight from the remote to the TVs that it shouldn't be controlling.
That makes sense. Thank you for the feedback.

I would try this, in addition to re-pairing each remote to each Joey.

On each Joey, go into Settings - Remote Control - Advanced
and make sure Limited Mode is turned ON and Infrared Reception is turned OFF.

If Infrared Reception is turned on, it is possible that IR commands from Dish remotes are controlling other Joeys as well as controlling the TV's functions.

Reactions: areoh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)