Dish replacement remote for VIP722

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tony S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Hills of Eastern CT
My remote control is dying. I was wondering what kind of remote control that Dish Network will send me as a replacement. Will it be a 5.3, 6.3 or one of the newer ones? Should I ask for a certain one? I have a VIP722 receiver and I have the $6/mo service plan. Do they charge for shipping?

Most likely they will send you a 20.0 or if it is a tv2 a 21.0. Those are standard remotes they use for the VIP receivers. As far as shipping cost, I'm not sure if they'll charge you.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

All VIP receivers get 20.0 or 21.0 remotes now.

A 722 will get a 21.0. If you want the info on cost, send a PM with your phone number or account number and I can check.

Thanks a lot guys!

In the posts above, 20.0, 20.1, 21.0, and 21.1 remotes were mentioned. What is the difference between them?

Thanks a lot guys!

In the posts above, 20.0, 20.1, 21.0, and 21.1 remotes were mentioned. What is the difference between them?

There is only 20.0 and 21.0. The 20.0 remotes are IR only, and the 21.0 remotes are IR/UHF. When we order a remote we don't get to order like a TV 1/ TV 2, they will just ship out the IR/UHF remote's, unless they are for a 612, and may be a 211 they may just send out a 20.0 remote.

20.0 - IR, learning
21.0 - IR / UHF Pro, learning

20.1, 21.1 - typos ???

If you can't get a free replacement, they're pretty cheap on ebay.

EDIT: I see bigwillieb beat me to it.

I need a new TV1 remote for my 722 also -- if I get a 21.0 (says TV2 on bottom), will I have any issues ? I have a perfectly good TV2 (old gray style) remote now (from the bedroom) that we are using for TV1 in the interim.

dishburgh said:
I need a new TV1 remote for my 722 also -- if I get a 21.0 (says TV2 on bottom), will I have any issues ? I have a perfectly good TV2 (old gray style) remote now (from the bedroom) that we are using for TV1 in the interim.

Just flip the tab on the bottom to the green number one.

Just flip the tab on the bottom to the green number one.

My current TV2 remote tab when pulled out does not have a green number one on the reverse. It is blue TV2 on one side and black on the back. It also is "keyed" to only fit in one way (blue side up). That's why I was asking before getting a new TV2 remote.

Guys,
Is there an option to just get a used universal(Harmony) remote? Any experience with which model will seamlessly replace the Dish controller and also work the other components? tia...

Guys,
Is there an option to just get a used universal(Harmony) remote? Any experience with which model will seamlessly replace the Dish controller and also work the other components? tia...

Any Harmony remote will work great. I have an older, bottom line 520 which does a great job with all my compoments. However, I would avoid a used one. A new or refurb would be better.

One caveat, you'll have to get an IR/UHF converter kit from Dish to use harmony (or any other universal remote) with TV2.

I've had great luck with refurb harmonys from amazon and tigerdirect. Even the cheapest full featured harmony 600 is a fine remote. (Avoid the 300 at all costs). All harmonys use the same device code database, so pick a model based on features, number of devices, looks and layout. That said, my favorite universal remotes are JP1, like the $15 RCA RCRP05B from Sears. Like harmony, you can program it from your PC, put 15 step macros on almost any button, 2 functions on every button, and learn. There's a fantastic upgrade for Dish HERE with additional functions not found on the Dish remote. Works with all IR addresses.

One caveat, you'll have to get an IR/UHF converter kit from Dish to use harmony (or any other universal remote) with TV2.

I've had great luck with refurb harmonys from amazon and tigerdirect. Even the cheapest full featured harmony 600 is a fine remote. (Avoid the 300 at all costs). All harmonys use the same device code database, so pick a model based on features, number of devices, looks and layout. That said, my favorite universal remotes are JP1, like the $15 RCA RCRP05B from Sears. Like harmony, you can program it from your PC, put 15 step macros on almost any button, 2 functions on every button, and learn. There's a fantastic upgrade for Dish HERE with additional functions not found on the Dish remote. Works with all IR addresses.

Question on the Dish UHF to IR converter. I have all of my 722k's in an equipment closet (with my other electronics) and control them using the black 21.0 UHF remote. Will the Dish UHF to IR converter work with this remote AND send IR for the other components I have programmed into my remotes? IOW, I also have a DVD changer in the closet with the Dish receivers, I can teach the IR commands for the DVD into the Dish remote. Will the Dish UHF to IR converter also pass those commends to the DVD changer?

Actually mdavej, how are you using ANY Universal IR like the Harmony remote for TV2 via UHF ? Do you mean using something like a Powermid (IR to UHF to IR at base unti)? I don't think the Dish converter works the same way as a Powermid.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)