DISH Replacing my 811--Already?

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
I called Dish Sunday morning to complain about the low video output of the 811 receiver and the fact that the hd/sd button did not work. They are pretty much clueless about the 811.

I was handed off to a senior tech who had to put me on hold 3 times. The result is that they are sending me a new receiver. The tech told me that if I had low video output from any of the outputs on the receiver (I am using a Dvi-Dual cable and S-Video hook-ups) that the tuner in the receiver was not functioning properly. He also said that there was a software upgrade to allow the OpenTv to work properly.

I tried to explain that there were alot of complaints about the low video output on this site, however he is sending me a new 811 anyway. He did tell me that the SD/HD button isn't needed as the receiver does the switch automatically. Thought you were supposed to be able to switch this?

BTW, an interesting side here, I have locked up the 811 using the Pro-UHF remote twice. I use my Pronto-Neo (IR only) and the 811 hasn't locked up with that yet--Hummm? :)

I find it kind of interesting the receiver is locking up with the UHF remote. I remember my first receiver (model 1000) back in 1996 would lock up a lot if you had the remote antenna screwed directly into the receiver. The fix was to put a 4 to 6 foot piece of coax between the antenna and the receiver. After doing that the receiver never locked up again. Maybe you should give that a try and see what happens.

Greg

JoeSp said:
I called Dish Sunday morning to complain about the low video output of the 811 receiver and the fact that the hd/sd button did not work. They are pretty much clueless about the 811.

Unlike the 6000, the 811 outputs SD and HD simultaneously. So the HD/SD button has no functionality on the 811.

Jerry G

According to Dish the SD/HD button is supposed to allow you to switch between the SD input (S-Video) and the HD input. (Componet or DVI).
This Dish tech said that the light on the 811 is supposed to change colour.\

This would make sense as most HDtvs do not allow you to adjust screen modes in the DVI setting. However, this is a moot point as it does not work.

The tech stated that the 811 would automatically switch between HD and SD signals. I thing they are refering to the ability to change between SD and HD channels without doing anything.

My 811 is also being replaced. I have experienced a number of problems.

1. Periodically the receiver makes a loud buzzing sound similar to an old door bell. When this occurs the normal audio stops working and is replaced by a popping sound. A reboot corrects the problem.

2. There was a loss of all channels between 9413 and 9601. I loss the ability to select those channels and they disappeared from the Guide. A reboot was required to correct the issue.

3. There was also a loss of (9 Channels) local digital channels. No picture would display but the on screen channel information, time etc., would display for the selected channel. Again a reboot was required to rectify the problem.

4. Video output via DVI and svideo conncetions is quite dark.

Items 1 thru 3 occurred at different times.

I was advised that the new receiver should be received in two days.

JoeSp said:
Jerry G

According to Dish the SD/HD button is supposed to allow you to switch between the SD input (S-Video) and the HD input. (Componet or DVI).
This Dish tech said that the light on the 811 is supposed to change colour.\

This would make sense as most HDtvs do not allow you to adjust screen modes in the DVI setting. However, this is a moot point as it does not work.

The tech stated that the 811 would automatically switch between HD and SD signals. I thing they are refering to the ability to change between SD and HD channels without doing anything.

Stop and think about what the 811 does with SD and HD. They are both on at the same time. Depending on if the programming is SD or HD, the 811 up- or downconverts and feeds the signal simultaneously to all outputs, be it DVI, Component, S-Video or composite. The only color changing on the front panel lights is the Satellite or Off Air indicators. Whoever you talked to is confusing the 6000 with the 811.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts