Dish Reports a Record Loss of 413,000 Video Subscribers for Q1

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
You'd think with people being at home in March the losses would be a lot less. A lot of competition in the streaming space now so that's going to be a tough market to grow in. I guess only losing 132k satellite subscribers is good?

You'd think with people being at home in March the losses would be a lot less.

Job loss, people looking for less expensive form of stuck at home entertainment, I keep reading that streaming video is up 72%.

The first quarter barely touched the Covid-19 timeframe, the second quarter ( April, May, June) will be brutal, not just for Dish but all Traditional Providers

A lot of competition in the streaming space now so that's going to be a tough market to grow in.

Streaming is the only thing showing growth and I don’t mean the live TV services, Netflix is still showing growth and Disney+ just hit 33 million in the states (55 million worldwide) and it just started last November.

I guess only losing 132k satellite subscribers is good?

Better then DirecTV is doing right now, but Dish had 14 million subs in 2014 and now down to 9 million Sat. subs, the big surprise was SlingTV lost 200,000 subs, I tried it but found it was not worth the $30 a month and my wife did not like it.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I think on the sling side, the lack of locals they offer in comparison to their competitors is a big drawback. Its one reason I wouldnt consider them over the others.

They have (kinda) price on their side as a starting point, but with the add ons it can quickly become the most expensive one to have.

I think on the sling side, the lack of locals they offer in comparison to their competitors is a big drawback. Its one reason I wouldnt consider them over the others.

They have (kinda) price on their side as a starting point, but with the add ons it can quickly become the most expensive one to have.

Well, not the most expensive no matter what you add. ATT TV pretty much has that title locked down!! :)

But yeah, the lack of broadcast is a negative for Sling. Depending on what you want to watch you pretty much have to use a couple other services to fill in some gaps. That means app switch quite a bit, which brings in the old “which show is on which app” issue!

I had Sling Blue for awhile and it works as advertised. Wasn’t disappointed in either the price or performance. It just forced me to work too hard to keep up with various shows that I wanted. That’s why YouTubeTV and Hulu+Live are as popular as they are. Decently priced and a broad range of channel interests, including broadcast.

I know some do, but I don't care about the lack of locals, but they need to do a better job with the packaging. With Disney now owning a lot of those former Fox networks, I think Sling will be forced to redo their packages soon

I use AirTV for locals on Sling. It puts them right in the guide/channel line-up and arranges them in order. Scan, select which ones to add, and save...and it's there.
I think they have some sort of bundle for sling + airtv right now. Even throwing in an indoor antenna if I'm not mistaken.

I would choose Sling if they had locals. I like the lighter packages vs YTTV (what I currently have), but I need locals for news/weather and the remaining handful of shows we watch on them. OTA is very difficult to get at my house, so AirTV didn't work.

I use AirTV for locals on Sling. It puts them right in the guide/channel line-up and arranges them in order. Scan, select which ones to add, and save...and it's there.
I think they have some sort of bundle for sling + airtv right now. Even throwing in an indoor antenna if I'm not mistaken.

That’s good if you can get locals. I can’t get locals even with a really good outdoor antenna

Job loss, people looking for less expensive form of stuck at home entertainment, I keep reading that streaming video is up 72%.

The first quarter barely touched the Covid-19 timeframe, the second quarter ( April, May, June) will be brutal, not just for Dish but all Traditional Providers

Streaming is the only thing showing growth and I don’t mean the live TV services, Netflix is still showing growth and Disney+ just hit 33 million in the states (55 million worldwide) and it just started last November.

Better then DirecTV is doing right now, but Dish had 14 million subs in 2014 and now down to 9 million Sat. subs, the big surprise was SlingTV lost 200,000 subs, I tried it but found it was not worth the $30 a month and my wife did not like it.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys
Disney+ is free for many

I was seriously looking at Sling but the lack of locals was the issue. I can get locals over antenna, but I like the idea of them being integrated. Also, the Air2 apparently does not work with Apple TV. So, it will end up being YouTube Live for me.

I was seriously looking at Sling but the lack of locals was the issue. I can get locals over antenna, but I like the idea of them being integrated. Also, the Air2 apparently does not work with Apple TV. So, it will end up being YouTube Live for me.

Air2 will work with AppleTV it just doesn’t integrate with the Sling app like it does on other platforms. Uses its own app instead.

Reactions: ncted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts