Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH NETWORK STATEMENT ON PBS INJUNCTION RULING

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., July 22, 2010 – DISH Network L.L.C. issued the following statement today about the PBS injunction ruling:
"We are disappointed with the decision, and intend to appeal. We believe that our customers should be the ones who decide what they want to watch on TV and how they want to watch it. We also believe that it is important to defend those fundamental First Amendment rights.”

Dish statement is full of markley lies bu not true. I want pbs HD and I'am a dish customer, I also want Disney HD not getting it so dish stop with the malerky and tell the truth.

I wonder which of the rights guaranteed by the First Amendment Charlie is referring to? Freedom of speech (Never a problem for him before)? Freedom of religion (is Charlie religious?)

What the First Amendment does NOT guarantee is Charlie's right to do whatever he wants, whenever he pleases, to, to whomever happens to be in his way.

PBS has run some good specials on the Constitution and how it works, but I guess Charlie wasn't watching.

Funny how they were praising STELA because they could carry locals in almost all markets yet now they're saying "its not fair" because they have to carry PBS in HD when they launch a new market?

I am lucky enough to get several NY PBS's off air, and I think they have a lot of HD programing. It would be nice to get the VT PBS from dish, my wife would love it.

OMG so you are keeping all the HD locals away just for HD PBS? and you DISH, care about your subs. in the affected market? you dish, are making many of us change to DTV

Last edited:
Funny how they were praising STELA because they could carry locals in almost all markets yet now they're saying "its not fair" because they have to carry PBS in HD when they launch a new market?

Not just that, I think it also required PBS HD carriage in all markets with HD by the end of 2011. I think Dish had a problem with this as it is before Quetzsat 1 and E16 are operational (or in the latter case, even launched).

Sounds like they need to get the MPEG-4 transition in gear so they can start getting rid MPEG2 locals on E10 and load it up with MPEG4 HD LiL.

One question, though. Part of the issue is that Dish needs to get agreements with PBS stations. But I thought they weren't allowed to get any money from retrans. If so, what's there to negotiate?

Part of STELA should have been the rights for cable and sat to retransmit PBS signals without needing an agreement.

+1

Why not get rid of the junk shopping channels to make way for PBS HD? Does anybody ever watch those? I would also like CW and MyTV in HD..

There are 354 PBS stationa. Care to explain how yanking a few SD shopping channels makes room for so many HD channels (especially when shopping is CONUS, PBS is LiL)?

Plus, Dish is paid for every shopping channel. You want to see your bill go up?

We watch our local PBS OTA since Dish's offering is SD - and rather poor quality at that. Even before we had HD we watched PBS OTA because the picture was worse on Dish and the sound level was much lower. For what it's worth, I think just about all weeknight evening programming on PBS is HD.

DISH NETWORK STATEMENT ON PBS INJUNCTION RULING

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., July 22, 2010 – DISH Network L.L.C. issued the following statement today about the PBS injunction ruling:
"We are disappointed with the decision, and intend to appeal. We believe that our customers should be the ones who decide what they want to watch on TV and how they want to watch it. We also believe that it is important to defend those fundamental First Amendment rights.”
OOPS the press release left out a key sentence -- "And we will be glad to tell them what they want to watch on TV and how they want to watch it, like we always have."

Dish -- Since you've never asked me, I'll just post my preference here in public -- I want PBS in HD ASAP!

Talon Dancer

p.s. with respect to Dish's concerns about defending First Amendment rights -- The last refuge of a scoundrel is patriotism.

Last edited:
OOPS the press release left out a key sentence -- "And we will be glad to tell them what they want to watch on TV and how they want to watch it, like we always have."

Dish -- Since you've never asked me, I'll just post my preference here in public -- I want PBS in HD ASAP!

Talon Dancer

p.s. with respect to Dish's concerns about defending First Amendment rights -- The last refuge of a scoundrel is patriotism.
And where does the TP space come from to provide every DMA PBS in HD? Oh, don't forget to find the space for all the sub-channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts