Dish reviewing its ad agency amid floundering of Spokeslistener

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Ok how much did AT&T spend?

And if that’s an absurd amount of money why did Dish still loose customers.
They both did. I'm not going to say Direct didn't "out created" Dish, but they spent way to much on placement, to lose subs as well.

Dish has NEVER, EVER advertised some of the best features of its boxes or services. The focus should be on Hopper 3.

The really big complaint I've heard from people of the years was--in essence--not enough tuners for the family. Good Grief! 16 Tuners should be shouted from the ROOFTOPS, more about PTAT, more about VOD availability (the letter sent to me claim even more VOD coming), yes VOD navigating on Dish is CLUNKY, but at least they do have it. Also, the watch from the beginning feature notifying of VOD availability of that show or movie's additional air times to set DVR or watch VOD. The Apps, espcially weather and sports. The 4 tuner PIP on main unint. Its wired or wireless Joeys, especially how it provides virtually identical experience as if being at the main Hopper 3 unit.

A complete campaing, with some characters (simulating a family or multi-adult roomates) and some humor with 30 second commercials featuring each of the features. The ads could even quickly mock the limitations of OTT pay TV services, (even SlingTV? HE, he,) then contrasting the full experience of local DVR features. They should also show DishAnywhere, especially for FireTV, watching, especially on big TV's, from various remote locations and its access to a full linier and DVR features, and the Hopper Go and its multi-stream features should also be highlighted.

Perhaps even some neighbors who keep dropping in uninvited and won't leave becasue they "cord cut" or use OTT, and they find excuses to just over-stay their welcome and continually watch Dish Hopper 3 TV in various locations of the house and the kids take over the Hopper Go. Instead of neighbors knocking on your door to borrow a cup of sugar, they ask if they can watch TV in your house because they noticed you have Dish and they have OTT or "cord cutting." Or the neigbors could simulate moving in to your home becase you have Dish Hopper 3. They take a shower in your home, they eat there, they sleep there, they complain when a favorite food is not stocked in the house. Why don't they just watch TV at home? "Oh, [cord cutting or OTT] its just not the same; yeah, I don't get my local channels; I don't get a few other channels, and the cloud DVR just aint the same, and some channels aren't allowed to cloud DVR."

There is more I am probably forgetting, but today, people want a compelling reason to keep paying the higher rates, and they need to be reminded of what they will GIVE UP cord cutting or going OTT. Since Dish and all cable and sat can't necessairly compete on price, they have to compete in other ways. I think most people just don't have a clue of what the Hopper 3 and other Dish features offer. Dish may still bleed, but perhaps not nearly as much.

Last edited:
I do like the SlingTV ads with actor Danny Trej, the ones where he plays different characters, especially the female friend of the woman chekcing out a Tinder-like app. The coffee house barista and the micro-brew characters are funny as well. IMHO.

Reactions: littlecloud319
Ermmm...I wasn't really talking about the horse.

84987339.jpg

What horse?

I'd say Dish spent far more on SlingTV ads. They are ubiquitos and on some major nets and highly rated TV shows, which advertising for Dish have never seemed to have. Even the Listener ads seemed to have limited exposure compared to SlingTV ads.

And FWIW, major national brand advertising budgets can be several millions per year, even the tens of millions per year.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Iv'e got another idea for Dish ads: The Internet goes out (or slows down), so everybody in the neighborhood with OTT cord cut keeps barging into the home with Dish Hopper 3 to watch their favorite shows they don't want to miss. Don't show them the 4 PIP or they will never leave.

Or the sports fan who has OTT and cord cut keeps coming to the Dish hopper 3 house to watch his sports because he can't get 4 PIP on the OTT or OTA cord cut. This poor family just can't keep people who cord cut and OTT to stop barging in and leave their house.

Or how about two older teens, ready for some romance in, let's say, the guys room at home, and the female starts making the moves, and then she looks over the boy teens shoulder and grabs his remote and stars watching Hopper 3 TV. The boy catches her watching TV and he says he thought they were goint to get together, but she only wants to watch TV, and if we aren't going to do anythin then get out. That's when the girl starts to cry and beg to Hopper 3 TV, "You don't know what its like living a life of OTT and having to watch TV on the flaky internet. My parents are Cord Cutters! I have to watch REAL TV, and I don't mean FluTube, I mean REAL TV with the real shows I love, whenever I can. The girl says she might do something crazy if she can't record and watch her shows here. Wait he says she can record and watch her shows on his Joey. So, he asks if they can finally get together and she says, "NO!" But you'll be recording and watching TV shows in my room with me several nights? he says. Yes, she says. Ok, he says, "I can live with that."

Okay, here is my idea for an ad campaign whenever Dish is ready to come out with the Hopper Duo 2. They could call it the Hopper Tutu, and the mascot would be an animated kangaroo wearing a tutu and explaining the features and benefits of the new Hopper. Then the Joeys hop out of her pouch to explain the benefits of adding a Joey, and the different types of Joeys that are available. You have to admit, this would be more entertaining than those guys on the Dish 101 and Hopper Insider channels.

Okay, here is my idea for an ad campaign whenever Dish is ready to come out with the Hopper Duo 2. They could call it the Hopper Tutu, and the mascot would be an animated kangaroo wearing a tutu and explaining the features and benefits of the new Hopper. Then the Joeys hop out of her pouch to explain the benefits of adding a Joey, and the different types of Joeys that are available. You have to admit, this would be more entertaining than those guys on the Dish 101 and Hopper Insider channels.

I'm not sure why, but that made me laugh.

Reactions: pattykay
Last time I saw Charlie, we talked about ads, and we talked about doing more "technical" ads showing off the features of the Hopper 3. He asked me ideas for ads and who could possibly be in them, I gave him some ideas and he whipped out a notebook and started writing things down.

Then who he asked who would be good to have in the ads and I suggested folks from The Big Bang Theory and he loved it. (since that time Jim Parsons is doing IBM ads and Kaley is doing Priceline ads).

Sometimes you need to spend money to make money. The Hopper 3 is still hands down worlds above what anyone else has.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)