Dish reviewing its ad agency amid floundering of Spokeslistener

I’ll be honest. I went with Dish originally because they had a $10/month deal. I got two 301s, so it was more. After a year, it was more. Moved to 721s, a 508, ViP622s, ViP722s, HWSes, for MORE. but I got MORE!

Early on, it seemed D* equipment was better. That may have swapped back and forth a few times over the years.

Then the Hopper came out, and D* is pretty much eating Dish’s dust in that regard.

But many/most don’t know of the superiority, until they experience it. And some must have that Sunday Ticket, which has been a loss leader, and I suspect is no longer cost effective.

So somehow, Dish needs to tout the better equipment. Many will never get it and switch. But would ENOUGH switch?

LOVED the Dishplayer. Was way ahead of its time.
Loved it when it worked and that was only before the Microsoft /DISH legal dust up that sank the receiver forever. Good concept and it was my first exposure to the internet in my home back in 99. Bought my first real computer in 2001 once the prices dropped a bit.

LOVED the Dishplayer. Was way ahead of its time.

Dang it! I tried to go to the EKB receiver comparison chart to figure out what a Dishplayer was, but alas, dishuser.org no longer resolves. Does anybody know what happened to it?

Edited to add: I Googled it and it seems to have moved over here: The EchoStar Knowledge Base. I see we're talking about the Dishplayer 7100/7200 with WebTV even. Do we have a web browser on any current Dish receiver these days?

Dang it! I tried to go to the EKB receiver comparison chart to figure out what a Dishplayer was, but alas, dishuser.org no longer resolves. Does anybody know what happened to it?

Edited to add: I Googled it and it seems to have moved over here: The EchoStar Knowledge Base. I see we're talking about the Dishplayer 7100/7200 with WebTV even. Do we have a web browser on any current Dish receiver these days?
Not that I am aware of.

Reactions: TheKrell

My vote would be for Firefox, if Dish ever wants to add one.

The Dishplayer was somewhat the equivalent of having your PC connected to your TV. Back then I’m not sure you could even get a video card that output HDMI (and certainly not at a reasonable price if such a thing actually existed). That’s why I said it was ahead of it’s time. Today, I have PC’s connected to both my TV’s via HDMI and I can’t imagine not having that ability.

I think TV ads are a waste of money. I got the Hopper and autohop to avoid ads. I DVR most shows and skip ads. Most ads don't relate to my needs. People are moving to Netflix, Amazon Prime, other streaming services to avoid ads. When I need something , I do an internet search to find the item, its best price and user reviews. Dish should spend its ad budget for more directed marketing online and to be on the 1st page of search results.

I find it funny Dish is running ads bashing the streaming services like SlingTV to promote the flex pack.

I vaguely remember an ad campaign about "TV that doesn't suck". The slant was that other services "sucked" your money. Am I correctly remembering that as a Dish campaign?

OOH, do you remember the short-lived 3D-animated mascot that Dish introduced in mid-2003 as part of their new ad campaign? Basically they turned the Dish 500 antenna (with a Legacy LNBF) into a anthropomorphic spokesantenna called (looks like I made a new word, "spokesantenna", lol), with their new slogan being: "It's all in the Dish!"

What do you think?
The commercial that introduced the mascot: "the Dish", sometime in March of 2003.

Basically "the Dish" sitting in the couch and jumping while watching TV....

"The Dish" shows up at a house where somebody has a DishPVR 501 (can anybody say nostalgia?), zapping the ads with fast forward, while his wife talks about the blouse and turkey pot pie. (she got zapped with fast forward also!)

And here's the Dish website, from July of 2003, with the Flash animation of "the Dish", archived: DISH Network -- Home

Next, early in 2004, we got the cable pig....

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Back then I’m not sure you could even get a video card that output HDMI
LOL....HDMI was just a gleam in some engineer's eye at that time. But it DID have two things that only a few boxes (Sony's DTV receiver being one) had at that time: A Toslink optical audio out and S-Video out!

Add in that I could transfer my WebTV account to it (all my bookmarks etc.) and get it all for $199.99 installed? "How soon can you get here, Jack!?"

OOH, do you remember the short-lived 3D-animated mascot that Dish introduced in mid-2003 as part of their new ad campaign? Basically they turned the Dish 500 antenna (with a Legacy LNBF) into a anthropomorphic spokesantenna called (looks like I made a new word, "spokesantenna", lol), with their new slogan being: "It's all in the Dish!"

What do you think?
The commercial that introduced the mascot: "the Dish", sometime in March of 2003.

Basically "the Dish" sitting in the couch and jumping while watching TV....

"The Dish" shows up at a house where somebody has a DishPVR 501 (can anybody say nostalgia?), zapping the ads with fast forward, while his wife talks about the blouse and turkey pot pie. (she got zapped with fast forward also!)

And here's the Dish website, from July of 2003, with the Flash animation of "the Dish", archived: DISH Network -- Home

Next, early in 2004, we got the cable pig....

Clubdish would be nice to have

Reactions: EchostarFan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts