Dish Rumored to launch internet only TV package by the end of the summer

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Only issue for me and many is the ability to watch streamed live sports.... esp college. Get this resolved and I am on board.

I won't pay for something like this. Like others have said, being required to pay for stuff I don't watch is the reason I left Dish and traditional pay TV in the first place. Luckily for me, true a la carte already exists on the internet. You just need to change your thinking a little bit. Channels don't matter to me anymore. It's the content that's important. Why pay for the entire History channel if you just want to watch Vikings?

A good chunk of what I was paying Dish to watch was available to me for free OTA. I like baseball so I subscribe to MLB.tv. I wanted to watch Fargo so I bought a season pass on iTunes. By the way, that season pass comes in the form of a 1080p stream that looks better than FX's 720p channel on Dish and without commercials. I supplement my OTA and season passes with the Netflix and Amazon Prime subscriptions I was already paying for before I canceled Dish. The theme here is that I pay for exactly what I want to watch. I don't pay for a group of channels someone packaged for me.

Buying a TV package from Dish over the internet doesn't sound appealing to me. It sounds like getting back into the system I just left. That's the beauty of the internet though. There is more choice available so I can get content my way and other people can sign up for this if they want.

Only issue for me and many is the ability to watch streamed live sports.... esp college. Get this resolved and I am on board.

I hear you. Live sports are what kept me paying Dish as long as I did. I get my Tigers on MLB.tv and I decided I could live without the rest of it. Most of the really big college football games are available OTA and almost all NFL games are so I decided that would be enough for me. This new Disney deal got me all the ESPN college football and Monday Night Football I would be missing though. I can do without it but using my parents' Dish login means I don't have to. I realize that isn't helpful for most people who wouldn't have WatchESPN account info if they cut the cord.

Many people here constantly say they want Dish to drop all the sports channels. The problem with that is that pretty much everything else is easily available online. Sports is the only hook cable/satellite still have into many of us. If Dish did what some people here want and dropped the sports channels that hook would be gone. All those people holding out just so they can watch their sports would be gone too. Dish knows that and that's why they got the Disney deal done even if it was expensive.

What is noted below is the catch. You are NOT doing without and the access is still paid for via Dish. You are just using a gray area to access it. Again, the live college sports access is the issue. For many, me included. much of what I watch for college sports is NOT on OTA and this is backed up by the fact that very little of what I watch would be accessable.

The second issue for many not mentioned before is intenet connection speeds. Reality is many do not have spped avaialble yet to steam reliably.

I hear you. Live sports are what kept me paying Dish as long as I did. I get my Tigers on MLB.tv and I decided I could live without the rest of it. Most of the really big college football games are available OTA and almost all NFL games are so I decided that would be enough for me. This new Disney deal got me all the ESPN college football and Monday Night Football I would be missing though. I can do without it but using my parents' Dish login means I don't have to. I realize that isn't helpful for most people who wouldn't have WatchESPN account info if they cut the cord.

Many people here constantly say they want Dish to drop all the sports channels. The problem with that is that pretty much everything else is easily available online. Sports is the only hook cable/satellite still have into many of us. If Dish did what some people here want and dropped the sports channels that hook would be gone. All those people holding out just so they can watch their sports would be gone too. Dish knows that and that's why they got the Disney deal done even if it was expensive.

What is noted below is the catch. You are NOT doing without and the access is still paid for via Dish. You are just using a gray area to access it. Again, the live college sports access is the issue. For many, me included. much of what I watch for college sports is NOT on OTA and this is backed up by the fact that very little of what I watch would be accessable.

The second issue for many not mentioned before is intenet connection speeds. Reality is many do not have spped avaialble yet to steam reliably.

Yeah, I understand. The thing is that I would have still done this without ESPN access. In fact I did cancel Dish about 2 months before that was even available. Also, I have never used WatchESPN except for when it was first added to test it out. Now that I have it I'm sure I will watch a college football or Monday Night Football game from time to time this fall but I don't need ESPN and I sure wouldn't pay $80 per month for it anymore.

I haven't had traditional pay TV for several months now and I honestly don't miss it. It was surprising to see how little cable channel content I actually watch.

I'm sure Comcast, TW, Cox, ATT and Verizon are going to welcome this with open arms. Lol can we say buffer buffer

Fair enough....

Problem for me is that the only GO TO TV that I try and find time to watch is college sports. All else and I think there would be more than enough to watched streamed. In fact I watched episod #1 of Bosh on Amozon Prime last night. First of this some that is origial programming for Amazon. They have ordered 10 or 15 more episodes. I actually found it as good or better than many other shows and will watch them as they come out.

Yeah, I understand. The thing is that I would have still done this without ESPN access. In fact I did cancel Dish about 2 months before that was even available. Also, I have never used WatchESPN except for when it was first added to test it out. Now that I have it I'm sure I will watch a college football or Monday Night Football game from time to time this fall but I don't need ESPN and I sure wouldn't pay $80 per month for it anymore.

I haven't had traditional pay TV for several months now and I honestly don't miss it. It was surprising to see how little cable channel content I actually watch.

They aren't interested in you. DISH I'm sure has no interest in that kind of direct competition. They will be offering something different that it would appear no one else is.

Ala carte is what we need period to hell with their bundles and packages let me pay for what I want period

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

You have A La Carte already! Why do people keep saying they want it, it is available. Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc etc are all A La Carte services. You pay one basic price per month then for the shows or series that are not included you pay per episode or series. Then you can add on other packages such as MLB or Vudu etc...

How will ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC be carried?

In all I read about this service, some of the major networks are included. ABC is already signed up. Will the subscribers be able to see network programing( prime time, news, sports) without having to have a local? This seems essential to the portable world of smartphones , tablets , and laptops. What football games do you get? Can you see your local( by your home address) team while on the road? Can you see the local team in the area you are visiting?

If people cannot skip commercials then maybe that will make the service cheaper since the ad revenue should go up? Maybe that would make it more viable for the stations to have it available via IP?

You have A La Carte already! Why do people keep saying they want it, it is available. Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc etc are all A La Carte services. You pay one basic price per month then for the shows or series that are not included you pay per episode or series. Then you can add on other packages such as MLB or Vudu etc...

The only sports available are anything you can get local FTA and MLB, NBA, and NHL regular season games that aren't blacked out in your area. All other sports broadcasts require a cable/sat sub. That's not a la carte.

Yes it is, 100% A La Carte, especially considering you can even buy by the episode often, it's just that you don't like what is being offered or not being offered.
RSN's may never be A La Carte as we think of it. Rather than an RSN per se online, you want to see the Red Sox, that's $75 a year. Bruins, $60 a year. Celtics, $65 a year......... It will be much like the business model of MLB, NHL, etc...
I would not be surprised if that model becomes reality even with Cable/Satellite if they are forced out of packages. Obviously prices are a guess.

Last edited:
If my TV viewing came down to me having to pay per episode I wouldn't end up watching much of anything because I would never make up my mind. Sometimes I just prefer to have access to a bunch of shows without thinking how much each episode cost. I know it would be cheaper overall but it must be a mental thing for me seeing a price on each show.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)