Dish Rumored to launch internet only TV package by the end of the summer

Other important questions not discussed would be if there would be a network DVR service? Will you be able to skip commercials?

With online services you don't DVR, you have On Demand, like on Dish Anywhere. And those don't always have commercials.

My question is if it would run on Apps, like on the PS3, XBox, Roku, iDevice, etc.. The Roku has Dish World already and the iPad has a Dish app to watch Dish Anywhere.

Good luck watching TV thur the interwebs if you have a bigboy aka Comcast att TW etc... Your dreaming.

You really think a bigboy is going to let a Competitor use there platform to undercut them for TV service. I think if Comcast and TW merger goes thur it's over for sure.

The second reason it will not work the Internet the bigboys push is oversold junk. For example lets say Comcast is running a 1Ghz system that's 166 6Mhz channels at QAM 256 that's only 6 Gig of transit that's it. CMTS's are not cheap what you don't see you don't think about. The CMTS's are so over subbed it's not even funny. Ya u may see some nice speedtest's but math does not lie.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

people seem to forget that Charlie did buy up hundreds of millions of dollars in bandwidth alone. dish owns an entire terrestrial broadcast spectrum. remember? dish does not NEED cable to deliver it's service. Dish can broadcast whatever it wants on the spectrum it owns. it just needs terrestrial towers to broadcast it.

people seem to forget that Charlie did buy up hundreds of millions of dollars in bandwidth alone. dish owns an entire terrestrial broadcast spectrum. remember? dish does not NEED cable to deliver it's service. Dish can broadcast whatever it wants on the spectrum it owns. it just needs terrestrial towers to broadcast it.

True but they don't have 30 billion to build it and it's not that much spectrum when your talking about HD channels they could maybe broadcast 40 HD would be HDLite that's for sure. They have 6Mhz in 700mhz they have 10 from HBlock and 20 in sband and 20 in lband.
Great for data but not for video I think. Plus they have no clue how to build a wireless network they will have to partner or by the time they built there network it would be too late.

Plus there spectrum except for 700mhz is not beach front it's behind the beach blocked by Hugh bldgs lol

that's why they tried to buy sprint, we would already be seeing the service. they need to buy a partner with infrastructure and spectrum of their own.

There's nobody for them to buy. SoftBank aka sprint will get tmobile I think. The only thing dish can buy is small companies like ntelos. I think they will just end up using sprints new platform. It's going to be fun to see if they try something or just sell out.

Good luck watching TV thur the interwebs if you have a bigboy aka Comcast att TW etc... Your dreaming.

You really think a bigboy is going to let a Competitor use there platform to undercut them for TV service. I think if Comcast and TW merger goes thur it's over for sure.

The second reason it will not work the Internet the bigboys push is oversold junk. For example lets say Comcast is running a 1Ghz system that's 166 6Mhz channels at QAM 256 that's only 6 Gig of transit that's it. CMTS's are not cheap what you don't see you don't think about. The CMTS's are so over subbed it's not even funny. Ya u may see some nice speedtest's but math does not lie.

Not sure what you mean. Use a Proxy and Comcast has no idea where your are streaming data from. I streamed 3/4 of a terabyte from Comcast last month alone on my no-cap business account ($70/month 14/3 but get 18). NetFlix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime. Also used a proxy/VPN to access NetFlix in other countries because they offer different titles overseas, newer titles that would cost much more to license in the U.S. at this time because its new and popular.

http://www.techspot.com/news/57464-...ngestion-and-fixed-his-netflix-streaming.html

Not sure what you mean. Use a Proxy and Comcast has no idea where your are streaming data from. I streamed 3/4 of a terabyte from Comcast last month alone on my no-cap business account ($70/month 14/3 but get 18). NetFlix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime. Also used a proxy/VPN to access NetFlix in other countries because they offer different titles overseas, newer titles that would cost much more to license in the U.S. at this time because its new and popular.

http://www.techspot.com/news/57464-...ngestion-and-fixed-his-netflix-streaming.html

Now I know how you got your username......I'll have to remember this info. Thanks

Reactions: slick1ru2
Thanks for the post.

I'm not talking about the internet i'm talking about your local "Cable Company Network" before you hit the internet.

You have 14Mbps down. Now lets say there are 100 other business customers on that same QAM 256 channel from a CMTS that channel can only do 36Mbps. So that means only 2.5 customers could download at 14Mbps at the same time on that QAM channel. Now the way the cable companies deal with that is channel bonding.

This Friday on Sputnik on satguys radio i will be talking about this in great detail.

Dish on Track to Launch Internet-TV Service by End of 2014, Ergen Says
charlie ergen dish network
August 6, 2014 | 11:07AM PT
Dish Network is still planning to launch an over-the-top pay-TV service by the end of the year, with Disney-owned networks forming the “core” of the offering, chairman Charlie Ergen said.

Ergen, speaking on the satcaster’s second-quarter 2014 earnings call, said the service — which will include networks from at least Disney and A+E Networks — would appeal to a younger demo.

“We think OTT is a good, smart move. But we’re not absolutely positive,” he said. Dish’s over-the-top service is aimed at “college kids in a dorm” and young people who “don’t live the same place all the time.”

Dish is looking to potentially pick up OTT subscribers as its core TV business is flatlining. In the second quarter, which is seasonally weak for the pay-TV industry, Dish lost 44,000 pay-TV subscribers in Q2 2014, an improvement over the year-ago quarter when the satcaster shed 78,000 subs. The company ended the second quarter with 14.053 million pay-TV subscribers, compared with 14.014 million at the end of Q2 2013.

Dish on Tuesday announced a multiyear contract renewal with A+E, under which the satcaster obtained over-the-top streaming rights to the cable programmer’s networks for its forthcoming Internet TV service. Dish this spring acquired OTT rights from Disney for ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, Disney Channel and ABC Family.

Under the A+E deal, Dish has multistream rights to the cabler’s networks, whereas Disney’s contract specifies only one stream per account. Ergen said he had “a concern” about the single-stream restriction in the Disney deal, citing as an example a hypothetical customer watching an Alabama college football game on ESPN and somebody else in the household wanting to watch Auburn on ESPN2.

“Those are things we have to work through,” he said, adding that Dish has not made all the final decisions about the pricing and packaging of the OTT service. Ergen said Dish is cognizant that the Internet-delivered pay-TV service “could be disruptive to the current ecosystem, so we’re going cautiously about it.”

The satcaster is targeting a monthly price of between $20-$30 for the package, to appeal to consumers who don’t want a full pay-TV bundle.

Asked about Dish’s interest in merging with or acquiring Sprint, now that the wireless carrier has dropped its bid for T-Mobile USA, Ergen said the company has yet to decide on its next course. “We remain interested in working to enhance our overall business, and that could include looking at a number of businesses out there,” he said.

He declined to say whether Dish has made a bid for T-Mobile, but said, “It’s a relatively small industry… Everyone talks to everyone.” Later in the call, asked if Dish would seek to acquire T-Mobile, Ergen left the door open: “T-Mobile is something we’d have an interest in.”

Selling its wireless-spectrum holdings would not be Dish’s preferred route, Ergen said, adding that the company believes investors are under-valuing those assets. Dish expects to see the value of its spectrum holdings increase with upcoming FCC spectrum auctions, he said.

As for the NFL Sunday Ticket package, which DirecTV is currently in talks about renewing with the league, Ergen said that Dish would “obviously be a bidder” for “the most valuable content in the world” if the opportunity presented itself. But, he said, with AT&T’s bid to acquire DirecTV hinging on securing the Sunday Ticket, those rights are not on the table at this point. “I think DirecTV, given the fact their merger (with AT&T) depends on it, (the NFL has) to be confident they’re in the driver’s seat,” he said.

Over all, Dish posted $3.7 billion in revenue for the quarter ended June 30, up 1.1% from the year-earlier period, and net income of $213 million (versus a loss of $11 million in the year-ago quarter).

During the second quarter, Dish added approximately 36,000 net satellite-broadband subscribers to bring its broadband subscriber base to approximately 525,000.
http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/di...service-by-end-of-2014-ergen-says-1201276765/ As for the NFL Sunday Ticket package, which DirecTV is currently in talks about renewing with the league, Ergen said that Dish would “obviously be a bidder” for “the most valuable content in the world” if the opportunity presented itself. But, he said, with AT&T’s bid to acquire DirecTV hinging on securing the Sunday Ticket, those rights are not on the table at this point. “I think DirecTV, given the fact their merger (with AT&T) depends on it, (the NFL has) to be confident they’re in the driver’s seat,” he said.

4K content could be the key to reeling in millennials
98% of millennials without a pay-TV subscription tell nScreenMedia that they have no interest in getting one in the future.
The result of the survey flies in the face of the contention by some cable execs that millennials will jump into pay-TV packages when their earnings power increases.
Currently, 19% of millennials don't have a pay-TV subscription.
Media analysts thinks the best play by pay-TV operators to reel cord-cutters and cord-nevers back in would be to jump to 4K movie services via smart TVs. Set-top boxes which could handle the 4K format could roll out as soon as 2015. http://seekingalpha.com/news/192720...-the-key-to-reeling-in-millennials#email_link

98% of millennials without a pay-TV subscription tell nScreenMedia that they have no interest in getting one in the future.
The result of the survey flies in the face of the contention by some cable execs that millennials will jump into pay-TV packages when their earnings power increases.
Media analysts thinks the best play by pay-TV operators to reel cord-cutters and cord-nevers back in would be to jump to 4K movie services via smart TVs. Set-top boxes which could handle the 4K format could roll out as soon as 2015. http://seekingalpha.com/news/192720...-the-key-to-reeling-in-millennials#email_link

I think that they are really reaching, if they think the millennials can be lured to pay tv just to get 4k video. This group likes to watch tv on their phones ,not their tvs. Different generation, different perspectives and priorities.

I've only got 2 options for what I want/need. Dish, which I used to have, and may have again in the near future, and DirecTV, which I have now, and who will have to give me a reason not to change when I get back from vacation. What I need/want is my St. Louis Cardinals. MLB.TV is a joke, unless I want to move to another state, watch all the games after they are completed, or play games about where I live and use some kind of proxy. I live in Iowa, and not only the Cardinals, but the Twins, White Sox, Cubs, and Royals are blacked out. Every team in 500 miles is blacked out, because after all, I'm right in the neighborhood. Cable in my community isn't an option, because Mediacom here offers no sport package at all. OTA offers about one game a week. I'd pay more for MLB.TV if they didn't black out half of all the games, but I don't see the agreement between MLB and the RSNs ending anytime soon.

If dish service wasnt free for me I wouldn't have any paid for tv programming. All I need is my high speed internet for my entertainment and informational purposes.

I think that they are really reaching, if they think the millennials can be lured to pay tv just to get 4k video. This group likes to watch tv on their phones ,not their tvs. Different generation, different perspectives and priorities.

I am on the center/slightly older end of the Millennial generation. I HATE watching TV on my smart phone which eats through battery power, and is on a tiny screen... same with my tablet or laptop. I also refuse to pay more for "unlimited" data to access things via that. Now, I am a cord cutter... having been with DISH until 3-4 months ago. I have been trying to trim my budget as much as I can without affecting how we live. That was fine. We have a few TVs in the house to watch movies or television via OTA (with a TiVo in the living room) or via Roku (Netflix and Amazon Prime). IF DISH were to be able to come out with something so that I could watch some of my favorite shows on Food Network, HGTV, or Travel, and it was around $20 a month, I would for sure go for that. I have been on the fence with the NimbleTV option, but have been contemplating that as well to get that programming again. It just is a little high priced yet for what I would receive. I have tried receiving programming via the Roku for these providers with little luck or good quality, to be honest....

In regards to those who are younger, and potentially still living with their parents and their parents paying for things yet... I am curious to see what direction they move in regards to technology once they start needing to budget things for themselves.....

I work with two guys in an office that are in their 30s. I 'm 52. I could never think about not having some kind of sat/cable service with ota as backup. One of the guys who is 36 , pays over $200.00 a month for his I - phone unlimited phone service. When he isn't surfing the net , he can watch movies over his phone or he hooks his lap top to it to watch the movies on a bigger screen. The other guy is 32 and has just moved into his own apartment. He used a pair of rabbit ears to watch just the digital channels ota on his 19" hdtv and has no cable service. He likes to party more than stay home and watch tv. Neither guy expects to every pay for cable service and think that I'm stupid to pay for my sat service. I of course think that they are crazy to pay over $200.00 a month to text ,surf the net and watch tv shows on their phone. My bills for both T-mobile and DISH together don't equal $200.00 a month. I pay only about $150.00 for both. I also have 4 hdtvs in my home with my living room being a 50" 3-D hdtv. Different generations ,different perspectives and priorities.

Reactions: TheKrell
Hell, I'm 28 and I agree with you. My dish and sprint bills combined are $120. That's with the everything pack and 4 room setup and sprints top plan unlimited internet.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I of course think that they are crazy to pay over $200.00 a month to text ,surf the net and watch tv shows on their phone. My bills for both T-mobile and DISH together don't equal $200.00 a month. I pay only about $150.00 for both. I also have 4 hdtvs in my home with my living room being a 50" 3-D hdtv. Different generations ,different perspectives and priorities.

But what do you pay when you add in your Broadband service and if you have a home phone, I bet it is close or over that $200.00 a month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)