Dish Satellite 129 low signal or my Dish1000 equipment-

DishDave49

Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Has anyone noticed a low signal on Satellite 129?

I've had no problem over the last three years.

Over the last week however, I have noticed my picture temporarily freezing and on rare occasion turns to a yellow screen. The audio would often continue with no problem. My satellites are 110, 119, & 129.

In the New Mexico area(zip88011) I'm seeing signals from the Point Dish screen at 69db, 63db, & 50db resp.

After looking over my Dish1000 3 LNB setup for good pointing, I checked in with dishnetwork for any local provider problems.

No problems were found but the 50db signal level must be at my system threshold.
Dish has waved the $49.95 service charge and will have a technician come out and check my equipment Sunday(6/21). My single connection into the house is good. I suspect I have a compromised cable or connection at the antenna. My Satellite 129 LNB may be on the way out but we will see. I'm looking to keep the bad LNB if it is replaced.

Probably just need to tweak the dish to favor 129 a little more.

I currently have heavy overcast with light rain in Lubbock, TX and I'm getting 50 on 129, but no breakups.

With clear skys my 129 readings are in the upper 50's on a D1000 dish.

Current readings

110 - 53
119 - 53
129 - 49

You either can repeak it or get an upgrade to a dish 1000.2 sat dish ,which is bigger & wider and you can get a stronger signal on 129.

I was glad to see my Dish Network Technician arrive right on time at 8 a.m.(Sun). I’m now free to follow my other father’s day obligations.

My antenna setup did have a few problems. The original Dish 1000 antenna installation and equipment has improved over the last few years. My Dish 1000 LNB dual & single setup which was a DPP twin/DP dual Combo was replaced with a Dish 1000.2 DPP triple. I also had a corroded connecter at the ground block which was also replaced. No charge for the upgrade.

My satellite signals on the Point Dish screen is now:

110 --> 60 db
119 --> 64 db
129 --> 54 db

We will be starting our Monsoon season soon. Batten down the hatches; wish me luck.

Last edited:
The key to good results on the 129 (and 110) birds is for the installer to make sure that the mast pipe is perfectly dead-level plumb. When trying to sight-in multiple birds at multiple elevations and azimuths, there's no such thing as "close enough" - as the common pivot point, the mast has to be exact.

You have two adjustments for the 119, Elevation and Azimuth, but both 110 and 129 are set with one common adjustment: Skew.

If adjusting the skew pulls you off-peak of the 119, or
if adjusting the skew does not peak-in both 110 and 129 at the same setting, or
after adjusting the skew you have to re-tweak the azimuth/elevation settings (at the expense of 119 signal levels)
then
the mast pipe is not perfectly level.
Go back and level the mast (in all planes, left/right, forward/back)
and start over

Last edited:
I am located at the north end of Southeast Alaska (roughly half way between Seattle and Anchorage). We use separate 1 meter dishes to see 110 and 119 (although there are some 90 cm dishes that bring in less signal strength and have some channel loss during heavy weather). Recently I was asked to aim a dish at 129w for a Dishnetwork customer who wanted the HD channels. I reloaded my Birdog with the two 129 satellite settings but was unable to see a signal when tuned to either 129 satellite. I tuned the Birdog to 148 and aimed the dish in the general vicinity of 129 and was able to see signal strength. I peaked the dish there and the customer hooked the dish to his HD receiver. It was the right satellite but the strength wasn't strong enough to stay locked into a signal. The dish is a 1 meter metal dish with a new DP LNB. I have a 1.2 meter fiberglass dish (that I use for Starband) and can get pretty good signal strength on my Birdog (set at 148), but haven't hooked to a receiver yet. I may get a chance tomorrow to do that and then I will post my results. Is the signal strength sent by the 129w satellite less than 110 or 119? Also, why doesn't by Birdog see the 129w with that satellite dialed into it? Do I need to reload the Birdog?

Alaska John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts