Dish Seeks Supremes Call On STELA HD Mandate (PBS)

Yes, and if that is possible, why are there even local PBS stations anymore?
If you had a decent PBS affiliate, you wouldn't be asking that question. There are more than a few of the PBS stations that could almost be independent networks in an of themselves.

If we had a rational government, PBS wouldn't have a leg to stand on -- the national PBS feeds are available for free to anyone who bothers to put up a dish for it.

Human beings are not rational. They do everything in response to their instinctual drives, and then they like to say that they are "rational" - because of their instinctual drive to look good.

Actual rationality only comes when there is a discipline imposed - almost always in work situations that involve science or engineering - and that's about all.

If Dish can carry KRON 4 in HD, a horrible little local station in the SF/SJ/OAK DMA that carries no network programming, and KICU 36, another local station with only syndicated programming, they can sure as hell carry KQED, one of the top three PBS stations in the nation, along with WNET and WGBH.

The Bay Area has several PBS stations, and in fact, even KQED has more than one channel.

I am sure that if Dish were allowed to ONLY carry KQED in HD (as the sole PBS-HD for PBS in the DMA), and not pay for it, it would be uplinked now.

BTW, Channel 36 carries network programming whenever there is a local sports event that pre-empts network programs, so having it in HD helps a little bit for those who are interested in network programming.

The Bay Area has several PBS stations, and in fact, even KQED has more than one channel.
As do most big cities.

I am sure that if Dish were allowed to ONLY carry KQED in HD (as the sole PBS-HD for PBS in the DMA), and not pay for it, it would be uplinked now.
Apparently, they are allowed to do just that. They just added KCSM, one of the minor PBS stations in the area, in HD. Why they would choose that one, if they are only going to add one, is beyond me. How much cheaper could it be than KQED?

BTW, Channel 36 carries network programming whenever there is a local sports event that pre-empts network programs, so having it in HD helps a little bit for those who are interested in network programming.
I can see your point. But, KRON-HD just wastes valuable HD bandwidth for no good reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)