DISH Selects TiVo Metadata

The settlement amount for Gemstar/TV Guide vs. Echostar was $190 Million and the suit was initiated by Gemstar/TV Guide before Macrovision took it over.

DISH Selects TiVo Metadata

Press Release | TiVo

SAN JOSE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--TiVo Corporation (NASDAQ: TIVO), a global leader in entertainment technology and audience insights, today announced that leading pay-TV provider, DISH, has completed its migration to TiVo Metadata. DISH is utilizing TiVo’s rich metadata, such as program information and image-based content, across its product platforms, including linear TV, video on demand (VOD) and DVR.

TiVo completed the metadata migration process in just under five months, bringing rich and robust metadata to DISH’s product platforms. The deployment was also rolled out in a way to minimize impact across DISH’s entertainment ecosystem.
:thumbdown :censored

The TV Guide bug was still on my H3's with the original UI. However, I've not seen the TV Guide bug at all since the change to the Carbon UI. Also, I've noticed that on my TiVo's, there is now a copyright notice stating guide data copyright "Rovi" and not TiVo. The Rovi name is DEAD and changed to TiVo, and yet my TiVo's have NEW copyright notice for "Rovi." I can't figure that one out.

Thanks for all the history, never knew Rovi was Macrovision, the one who did all the encryption for VHS recordings. Anyways, you said the H3 had 2 UI's. I always thought the H3 shipped with the Carbon UI from the beginning since I have had the H3 since February 7, 2016 which was days after it was available as I was on that DIRT contact list before it was available and it always seems like it was only one UI. I thought it was the Hopper 1/H2K and the Hopper 2/HWS that had two UI with the current one being the carbon UI.

Reactions: pattykay
The best part of this guide info is how I need to set 47 different timers for boxing. No longer can I use "Record New" to record every occurrence of "Boxing" on a channel, because there are so many different variations of program names now. This week it may be "Premier Boxing Champions", next week it is "Top Rank Boxing", and the week after that it is "Golden Boy Boxing", and some of them are one time events that don't even allow for a recurring timer to be set. If there is a way to set a single timer to catch everything, I would love to hear it, but I never had this problem before the switch.

Guide is about half useless. My brother in law and sister can't even record NEW for Australian Football any more. Even tried ALL but the Hopper timers keep setting for the individual team names each week instead of the program title.

The best part of this guide info is how I need to set 47 different timers for boxing. No longer can I use "Record New" to record every occurrence of "Boxing" on a channel, because there are so many different variations of program names now. This week it may be "Premier Boxing Champions", next week it is "Top Rank Boxing", and the week after that it is "Golden Boy Boxing", and some of them are one time events that don't even allow for a recurring timer to be set. If there is a way to set a single timer to catch everything, I would love to hear it, but I never had this problem before the switch.

That's more a failure of the new CUI than the guide itself. The CUI just doesn't allow the seek timers like the old UI did. It's something I miss very much also.

The new program data is really inferior in terms of naming the actors in movie listings. Meaning there is no data regarding all the actors in the movie. Another backward step for Dish. How much money did Charlie save by moving from the superior Gracenote? It wasn't worth it to the viewers.

The new program data is really inferior in terms of naming the actors in movie listings. Meaning there is no data regarding all the actors in the movie. Another backward step for Dish. How much money did Charlie save by moving from the superior Gracenote? It wasn't worth it to the viewers.
It seems like they're probably paying Charlie to use their crappy program guide data. I can't imagine paying for it.

Isn't Comcast their only major customer now? Might not bode well for Gracenote being around in a couple of years.

When the majority of movies shown on the likes of Turner Classic Movies don't even list a single cast member, something is dreadfully wrong.

??? I looked after reading your post. I see not only names listed but stars included. Raw Deal, Johnny Angel, Key Largo, Take me out to the Ball Game Singing in the Rain Inherit the Wind Going Home, Escape from From Bravo, Today we Live and on and on. Keep in mind occasionally actors are listed based on their star power then.

??? I looked after reading your post. I see not only names listed but stars included. Raw Deal, Johnny Angel, Key Largo, Take me out to the Ball Game Singing in the Rain Inherit the Wind Going Home, Escape from From Bravo, Today we Live and on and on. Keep in mind occasionally actors are listed based on their star power then.

Then apparently you missed all the Hitchcock movies the past few nights. HITCHCOCK!!!

Look again at tonight thru Sunday night:
Johnny Angel lists NONE.
Crack-Up - NONE
Key Largo lists ONE cast member. It's not even Bogart!
Brigadoon - NONE (who cares who directed it compared to the cast)
Take Me Out to the Ball Game - NONE
The Three Musketeers - NONE
Anchors Aweigh - One listed, it's not Sinatra
Singin' in the Rain - NONE
Inherit the Wind - NONE
On the Town - NONE
It's Always Fair Weather - Gene Kelly, nobody else
Cover Girl - NONE
The Locket - NONE
Holiday Affair - NONE
His Kind of Woman - NONE
Angel Face - NONE
The Story of GI Joe - NONE
The Night of the Hunter - NONE

15 out of the next 29 movies have NO cast members listed.
That's a majority.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)