Dish Set up Question

Rachelsdad

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Reading Pa
Hello all i have a few questions for you. My wife just bought a new 36 inch hdtv that gives us 2 Hdtv sets.
Currently we have the 4 room hook up 1 Hd vip 211 and one standard reciever and 1 standard dual tuner. That hooks up the family room bedroom and both sons room. Is there a way to get hdtv on the new tv meaning a 5 room hookup and would the 622 give both tv,s Hd Output or would i need to get a 622 for 2 tv hookup and a 211 for full hd on both tv,s

Do i have to stay with four or can you get a 5 room hookup

1. Is there a way to get hdtv on the new tv meaning a 5 room hookup. Its possible, but I do not know all of the programming and/or leasing packages, and if you are leasing, buying, or both.
2. Would the 622 give both tv,s Hd Output or would i need to get a 622 for 2 tv hookup and a 211 for full hd on both tv,s. I do not think Dish has a receiver that has 2 separate HD Outputs. So you will need two HD receivers to feed to HD TV's.
3. Do i have to stay with four or can you get a 5 room hookup[/QUOTE] I do not know the rules, but I do know that somehow you could get more than 6.

Without getting into your leasing options and/or buying options, here are some setup options.

I suspect...
. . You have 1 or 2 dishes to receive 3 orbital locations, using DishPro LNBF.
. . You have a DP-34 Switch to feed your current 4 tuners.
. . ViP 211 in Family Room with a HDTV.
. . SD Receiver in Master bedroom.
. . SD Dual for Bedrooms 2 and 3.
. . Nothing in Room 5 with new HDTV.

With the above configuration (or similar), and not using legacy LNBF's...

If you decide to get another receiver so that you'll have 5 tuners, you will then either need to add a 2nd DP34 to your current one; or replace the DP-34 with a DPP-44 so that you could feed the dual tuner receivers each with one cable and a DP Separator. The DPP-44 is more than twice the cost of a DP-34, but may be worth it if it will save on running cables, etc....

2 DP-34's will allow up to 8 tuners, each with their own feed. A dual tuner receiver will then need 2 feeds.
1 DPP-44 will allow up to 4 receivers, but each dual tuner receiver will only need one feed if you use a DP Separator, so yo could have upto 8 tuners.

So maybe the best or simplest option would be to have 5 tuners:
. . Keep your current dishes, LNBF's, and DP-34 switch.
. . Add a second DP-34 switch with 1 cable to Room 5.
. . Keep the ViP 211 in Family Room with a HDTV.
. . Keep SD Receiver in Master bedroom.
. . Keep SD Dual for Bedrooms 2 and 3.
. . Add a second ViP 211 for Room 5 with new HDTV.

Or if you want a 622 with DVR functions, then maybe:
. . Keep your current dishes, LNBF's, and DP-34 switch.
. . Add a second DP-34 switch with 2 cables to Room 5.
. . Keep the ViP 211 in Family Room with a HDTV.
. . Remove the SD Receiver in Master bedroom.
. . Keep the SD Dual for Bedrooms 2 and 3.
. . Get a 622 to feed Room 5 with new HDTV and SD to the Master Bedroom.

However, if you are leasing and if it is not likely that your homestead will be watching 5 different programs at once, then you may want to consider using 2 ViP 622. Have each 622 feed both TV1 and TV2 Outputs on a home distribution system, and give each son a Remote for TV2 on separate 622's. The master bedroom would use TV1 Output in SD quality using which ever 622 TV1 was not in use - using a Green 1 UHF PRO remote. Advantages to this.
. . Each HDTV will have a HDTV tuner.
. . Upto 4 different TV's can each watch a separate/different program at the same time, while the 5th and other TV's watch any of the 4 programs.
. . Upto 4 different TV's can each watch a separate/different previously recorded program at the same time; and better yet, you could be recording 4 new programs!

NOTE: For this, you will need 2 cables from the DP-34 switch to each ViP 622, or if you use a DPP-44, you will only need 1 cable to each ViP 622.

Last edited:
With the DPP-44, you should have one port still available, if you are using a separator on the current dual receiver. This would make it easy to add another HD receiver for Room 5, either a single or a dual tuner with another separator.

You will just need to figure out what is more cost effective between your current cost and future cost between leasing, buying or a combination of the two. If you call dish, you can get several answers depending on which CSR you talk to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts