Dish share wire with Cable internet?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

delaluz

Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
Raleigh
I'm moving into a new (used) home in 4 weeks. Outside the house is a Time Warner Cable Vision box that connects to the underground cable feed. I t looks like the wire from the Cable Vision box goes to a "distribution box" in a closet which routes the signal to 5 or six of my rooms.

I would like to go with my TW Cable for my internet connection. I assume that TW Cable Vision would have to connect to the outside box. I would like to go with Dish for TV. I would like to connect the Dish cable to the same Time Warner Cable Vision box so that it would be fed into the distribution box.

Does the typical Time Warner outside cable box allow 2 connections, one for the TW cable (for internet) and one for a Dish Network feed?

Any comments?

Thanks!

Berto

i dont think it would work, ive never heard of it being done, anything in line from the dish to your tv or rcvr is just an additional fail point. the TW box will most likely split the signal instead of seperating it, causing signal loss. if your trying to run it to all of your tvs like a home node, then i have no advice as idk how those TW things work.

There is no "typical time warner cable box" This box is simply placed over the house's existing wires by Time Warner to keep a clean look. The number of wires will depend entirely on how the electrician wired it. You're going to have to open that box and see how many wires run from the box to the distribution point if you want to know.

The information you are asking for is what frequency range does TW Internet use vs. what frequency Dish occupy, correct? If so, Cable Internet typically operates at low frequency while Dish operates around 10,000 to 13,000 Mhz, so theoretically they should not interfere.

The information you are asking for is what frequency range does TW Internet use vs. what frequency Dish occupy, correct? If so, Cable Internet typically operates at low frequency while Dish operates around 10,000 to 13,000 Mhz, so theoretically they should not interfere.
:eek: Do you use waveguides for your installs, cause NO coax can carry signals in that range for any reasonable distance. You are correct however that dish and cable (note: cable not cable internet) use separate enough frequency ranges that they should not interfere. Your numbers, however, are significantly off. Cable uses 5MHz - 850MHz (With cable internet using the higher end of that band), while dish uses from 900 - 2150MHz (Unless you are using all legacy equipment, in which case it is 900 - 1450MHz).

So, for normal cable, you are correct, this is no problems. When you get into cable modems, it really depends on the provider, and the signal quality at your home. Due to the fact that cable modems generally use the upper range of the available bandwidth, you can run into some serious problems trying to use diplexers as they tend to significantly degrade the higher frequencies.

:eek: Do you use waveguides for your installs, cause NO coax can carry signals in that range for any reasonable distance. You are correct however that dish and cable (note: cable not cable internet) use separate enough frequency ranges that they should not interfere. Your numbers, however, are significantly off. Cable uses 5MHz - 850MHz (With cable internet using the higher end of that band), while dish uses from 900 - 2150MHz (Unless you are using all legacy equipment, in which case it is 900 - 1450MHz).

So, for normal cable, you are correct, this is no problems. When you get into cable modems, it really depends on the provider, and the signal quality at your home. Due to the fact that cable modems generally use the upper range of the available bandwidth, you can run into some serious problems trying to use diplexers as they tend to significantly degrade the higher frequencies.

good info! i need not thread while sleepy

Status monitor on my current cable modem lists 555 Mhz down and 36 Mhz up, which would not conflict with Dish at all. But, that would be up to the cable provider so a call to TW would be in order.

Also, is the cable RG6 or better? If it is not, it may not be able to carry high frequency.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts