Programming a universal remote

cottage

Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
I have a small problem that I am only able to partially resolve. Has anyone else solved this issue?

I have a Bell TV 9241 PVR (same as Dish VIP 612).

I'm trying to program an RF30 Universal Remote Control. This remote control issues only IR signals. The remote for the Bell 9241 (VIP 612) issues UHF signals. Therefore, I can't directly use the "Learn" function to program the Universal remote.

I have partially solved the problem as follows:
I also have a Bell 3100 SD receiver whose remote operates on IR signals. I changed the address on this remote to the same address as the 9421 PVR and then used it to program the Universal remote. (Then I changed the address on the Bell 3100 back to the original address). This worked perfectly. However, the 3100 remote doesn't have the buttons that control the PVR functions. Therefore, I am unable to program the PVR functions into the Universal remote.

Has anyone found a way to do this?

BTW - The manual for the Universal Remote does have a list of codes that can be input for many satellite receivers that will set all of functions in the Universal. None of these codes will work for the Bell 9241 PVR. Therefore, I am required to use the "Learn" function to program each key one at a time.

Usually the preprogrammed codes for Dish on multi-device remotes do not send, rather don't have a provision for, selecting Dish addresses (1-15 or 1-31). Instead they will work address 1--IR of course.

Yes for any other address you would have to capture the code from a dish remote for each key, a lot of work. And yes they may not have enough keys for the "VCR-like" functions especially when you add menu, guide, recall, info, view, and cancel to say nothing of pip's buttons and the * and # and page up/down equivalents.

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts