Dish Sling Adapter Running Error Thread

Mark_AR

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
North Arkansas
I'd like to start a sticky thread with Sling adapter errors:

I've had a DIRT member working with me for 12 days and I am NO CLOSER than when I started. I am ready to ship lock stock and barrel back to dish.

I'd like for this to work so I can go on vacation in my RV and still stream my local news. I will be 1000 miles away so it NEEDS TO WORK!

So far today:

ERROR 8
ERROR 2 (Multiple times til I reset the 722) Then
ERROR 44 (40)
46 (46) after 5 min streaming @ 8024-9125kbps in home network
Then quit flittering with it because I was upset.

Past ERRORS:
ERROR 46
ERROR 46(46)
ERROR 33(2)
ERROR 36(38)
ERROR 31
ERROR 31(31)

System Specs:
Speedtest results:
Ping 72ms
Down 3.06Mb
Up .64Mb

Hardware:
VIP722
DSL Windstream/Sagem F@st 1704 modem/Router
Speed according to modem:
3.584Mb Down
.763MB Up

Software: FF 3.6.20 and Internet Exploder 8.0.2600
Flash 10.3.r183

Thanks for posting!! I cant tell you how many error messages I can get in one day. At least Im not alone!!!!....Then the Dirt team will ask which ones came up,.....its more like what one DIDNT come up!!!!!

I have a notepad open on my laptop and copy the errors to it every time it happens because I want to get this FIXED!!!

I wish that there was a FAQ or index of ERROR Codes so I know what way to look. But Dish either doesn't know or doesn't want US to know. I even put timestamps and durations as well as what channel I was watching to tuning to when responding to the DIRT team. But I think it is high time that the SLING Adapter had a sticky.

You didn't mention whether you were trying to go through DO (pronounced "D'oh!") or rather DRA. There is also an old standalone player that works at low resolution on the LAN. The latter seems to be quite reliable; I'm suspicious Dish servers could go to blazes and it would still work.

I like the dish.sling.com interface much better than DRA because they keep asking me about the green light and so far that is the only place my browser displays it. Now tonight using DO, I was able to connect at 8015kbps-9023kbps on my home network. The best I could ever get with dish.sling.com was about 800kb/ps. Not sure why, I thought BOTH sites connect locally from the Dish Acrapter to the player via the home network.

Also, I got a reply from Dish Answers on FB: I asked them to please help with my problem in this thread. and here is what I was told:
DishAnswers via Facebook said:
Unfortunately, I cannot come up with a specific setting that needs changed. Usually there is a firewall setting that blocks the streaming process as a security process. I am not trained in the ins and outs of Windstream most likely you will need to contact them. Keep in mind we aren't necessarily looking for a connection problem as much as we are looking for a setting that is blocking your ability to stream.

So how can it be a setting in my F@st 1704 DSL modem/router when it will stream sometimes and not other times just by time passing and not changing any settings. It just doesn't make sense. I even went so far as to give the VIP722 its own STATIC IP on the network so that if something happens to the DHCP server list, It always gets the same addy.

I'll call Windstream tomorrow, but I don't know of any settings in my modem that would intermittently cause the list of errors above. Seems like I will just chase my tail some more.... sigh

I'd like to keep this thread to a list of ERRORS, What causes them and what to do to FIX each of them or at least get some answers so I can build a FAQ or sticky for others that are banging their heads off of adjacent doorways.

Did they have you setup port forwarding?

here's a link to a slingbox forum post .. where Sling references going to portforward.com
http://answers.slingbox.com/message/48074

note that there isn't currently instructions for the 1704 ... so what Sling is suggesting is to see if either of their links is similar to the setup screens their OP has ... and thus can walk through a little.

*ATTENTION PLEASE* if you find they (instructional screens from above portforward.com reference) are similar... do *NOT* port forward 5001 .. :D that's for a slingbox not a sling adapter.. for sling adapters its 5101 (for the first such adapter, and 5102 for the second sling adapter if you have two)

I strongly recommend setting up Static DHCP entries for things like the Dish Network Receiver ... if you have a bluray, internet connected AV receiver ... etc.. so that these devices will always get the same ip addresses, and so if you *do* have to set up manual port forwards, that should something go wrong.. they won't get different ip addresses on reboots of devices..

Next.. to the "error collection" I offer you this:
http://slingbox.wikia.com/wiki/Slingplayer_Error_Codes
its not official .. its someone else's listing of errors and its full hex not the simplified errors we see in the window.. but the few errors I've seen in user log files match up with the ones I've seen there (main one I've seen is 0x92340011 - Operation failed because it was taking too long)

anyway.. if you haven't done port forwarding & static DHCP ... let me know I'll do what I can to help.

EDIT: one of the reasons its working some times and not others.. port forwarding "meshes sometimes" .. UPnP with a dish receiver, is supposed to contact the gateway router and tell it "hey I need port 5101 open to me" ... the router should reply back "ok you got it" or "sorry someone else has that, do you want to use a different port?" in the latter case, that's when the sling adapter (dish receiver) will say "oh ok.. how about 5102 then?"

UPnP then sets up the port forward such that any incoming network traffic (from any where!) that is coming IN to port 5101 is re-directed internally to .. the dish receiver..

IF you don't have UPnP as an option.. or you find its *not* working, then you need to manually set up the ports, and hence my above links, and such. --Good Luck!

Last edited:
OK, Where do I start... Or continue... I have been getting ERROR 46(46) intermittently all night. The longest I went without incident on my home network was about 30 min, the least was 2 minute between errors.

The SAGEMcom F@st1704 is easy to configure if you have done ANY router/dsl modem setup.

I had already set up port forwarding as well as static IP after reading a Broadband Reports.com Windstream forum last night. I set ports 5001, 5101 & 5102 to the IP of the VIP722. After reading your post TG2, I deleted port 5001.

Here is how I set up my modem/router step by step.

To set up Static IP on an Ethernet connected(not wireless) network for VIP722 on Windstream/Sagemcom F@st1704

First access NETWORK SETUP on your receiver. press MENU - 6 - 1 - 9 - 2 on your SAT remote and copy the IP address & Ethernet MAC.

Log in to the F@st1704 by copying 192.168.254.254 in your browsers address bar. A user/password box will appear. (Usually the user & Pw are: admin, admin) If not, check with your internet provider.

To set STATIC IP:
Click on LAN
Click Add Entries
Enter the MAC address of the 722 in the format of 01:23:45:67:89:ab in the top box and the IP address 192.168.xxx.xxx as copied from your TV screen.
SAVE
It should look like this:
aidqRv
http://flic.kr/p/aidqRv
(Static_IP)

Set PORT FORWARDING:
Go to Advanced Setup
- NAT
- Virtual Servers Setup
Click ADD
Then select Custom Service and enter '722/Sling' or something descriptive in the box.
Copy the Server IP of the VIP722 192.168.254.xxx where xxx is the last numbers you copied from the network set up screen.
Then SAVE
aig4no
http://flic.kr/p/aig4no
(NAT_VSS1)

At this point I REBOOT both the VIP722 and my ROUTER.

TG2-uPNP is enabled by default.

The Slingplayer error list doesn't really help me further my understanding of the Dish Sling Adapter error codes, but may be a good resource to cross reference to in future. Thanks.

Last edited:
The problem in dealing with hardware remotely, is often not having screenshots / manuals that mean anything ... case in point I couldn't find real screen shots nor a real manual for the 1704 when I posted.. stupid links at Winstream kept pointing back to that GD "rebate" crap ..

Key point I see in the screen shot, and your direct notation about UPnP ... is that it does have it.. but if it wasn't working before .. there might still be a problem with how its operating ... (further searches with mtu / connection issues abound)

Doing a couple of new searches tonight/this morning.. found this right off..

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25059010-Sagem-1704-Wireless-Router-MTU-Issues

while mentioned are PS3's Xboxes and the like.. the reality is that any internal network devices that needs streaming could be effected by MTU problems. So you might want to check with them (via dsl reports) to see if you have the newest firmware, or not.

Another post at DSLR showed what either was private or other posts from Windstream about a manual work around being to *disable* UPnP and then setup manual port forwards ... did it let you do both (enabled UPnP and set static/port fowards ... no reason it shouldn't allow you) .. and maybe disabling UPnP and rebooting may help..

Add to my searching problems, that I needed to drop "windstream" from my search attempts .. and so found this (default US page for 1704)
http://www.sagemcom.com/index.php?id=2128&L=0#

but the support options there again are extremely limited with errors pulling up the "support" when clicked on the right side ..

but did finally find a manual in the UK
http://support.sagemcom.com/site/modele_fax.php?page=livret&prd=SagemF@st1704&pays=uk

If disabling UPnP doesn't work... then my next suggestion (probably not liked) backup the config you have not .. reset to factory defaults .. then re-setup yourself..

And if that doesn't work (and MTU or firmware updates aren't available) then the next thing is to see what Windstream has for you ... see if they can configure the 1704 to be bridged mode or even routed mode for a single IP address, get yourself a decent linksys/cisco router and configure the linksys as needed

... if you get something like a 2100L or 2500 or better ... then you also have the option of putting Tomato or DD-WRT firmware on the thing and *that does* work with UPnP fairly well! (dd-wrt/tomato/open-wrt all work on many routers ... its just that getting one with minimum 8 megs flash and 32 or more megs ram is fairly important ... my primary is a 2100L my secondaries <bridges> are Buffalo 300N's cause they were cheap but fairly well decked out)

All things being equal .... the problems are more than likely the DSL modem/router and having problems with either port forwarding or as others reported MTU ... on any given day if only a few users are reporting problems with DRA or DO it could be either local to them or Dish ... only when there's mass issues would I lay the blame solely on Dish's head... though they could have done *WAY* better at error reporting than they do now!

Good Luck!!

Over two weeks of on-and-off usage with no more tweaks other than what I posted above to my modem/network.

I have less problems with dish.sling.com than I do with dishonline.com, so go figure that one out.

Random 46(46) errors as well as 36(2) errors but not as frequent as first few days. I think it is a hardware glitch because as I was typing this, the sling was streaming at 3650kb then suddenly quit blinking and a few moments later I got an error 44. I was able to reconnect as soon as TV2's blue light went out.

I was also able to finally use the web player with the sling adapter out in the real world with anywhere from around 500kb/ps on some random open wifi network. I will have to see what kind of throughput I can get when at open RV park networks. I don't know how many are throttled. Will just have to experiment but by then this thing needs to work for months unattended.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)