Dish Snowbird policy

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jpmarto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
E. of Seattle
The 11/19 Retailer Chat Recap mentioned DN's new policy regarding "Snowbirds". Has anyone tried it can and decipher/explain it for me how it actually works? Specifically, it seems to assume you move for a season, and need to call them when you get home. What about if you have a weekend vacation home you visit a few weekends a month? Is my current "don't ask don't tell" policy the most practical solution (I'd only be bringing with me a single tuner receiver that wouldn't need to be connected to a phone line).

Last edited:
Agreed, I would only ask for the snowbird setup if you need to have your locals changed to the other location or you need to plug into a phone line or network at the other location for PPV. Why add complication for no benefit.

Not sure about the policy

The 11/19 Retailer Chat Recap mentioned DN's new policy regarding "Snowbirds". Has anyone tried it can and decipher/explain it for me how it actually works? Specifically, it seems to assume you move for a season, and need to call them when you get home. What about if you have a weekend vacation home you visit a few weekends a month? Is my current "don't ask don't tell" policy the most practical solution (I'd only be bringing with me a single tuner receiver that wouldn't need to be connected to a phone line).

I contacted customer service at DN about a similar problem:
I have been reading the comments and your response to them left on 'Satellite guy's' I figured, rather than posting a repeat of a problem I would just contact you directly.
I have two Dish accounts. I was convinced to set them up this was as I have 'vacation' home as well as a semi-part time residence. When I call customer service about moving my receiver between the two homes I was informed that I could just have another system installed and 'pause' whichever system I wanted as I needed. This worked for the first time I paused, three months later I wanted to pause one system and activate the other, I was informed by customer service that I could only pause once a year for a maximum of six months. So I have been paying for a ' active ' system in my one residence (Kentucky for nearly 10 months) while living in Florida. I am in Kentucky currently, paying for a 'active ' system in Florida. I am about to return to Florida, I would like to pause without the hassle of customer service telling me I can't do a pause, I understand that a pause needs to be for at least a month which is really no problem since my visits between homes is usually at least a month.
Please advise on how to remedy this as I have been a Dish customer for over 20 years and have been extremely happy with your options, packages and cost ( I spent 2 years with DirectTv and switched back ASAP).

This is the answer I received:

Dear Ma’am or Sir,

Thank you for contacting DISH Answers! I’d be happy to help you with this! In this type of scenario, rather than having Pause applied for the location you’re not currently using the service, we can tag your accounts as a Snowbird. By doing that, you just unhook all the equipment from the house you’re leaving from and reinstall it on your own at the other one you’re moving to. This allows you to do this kind of transition whenever you want and as often as you want. If you email me your account numbers, I can help you further with this!

Thank you,

Mike LeMar
Social Media Representative
DISH
Office Hours: Tuesday – Saturday 6:00am-2:00pm

I am still waiting for a response as to my two accounts. My question was about removing the LNB's from the dish which would be a real pain in the behind to try and align each time I go from Ky. to Fl.

You just take your receivers/remotes back and forth between residences. You have the necessary antenna, lnb and switches installed at each location. The installation at the second residence can be done with a dishmover. When you relocate, you take the receivers from residence 1 with you to residence 2 and install them yourself. You then call Dish and give them your new service address in order to receive your locals. Repeat when returning to residence 1. Unless they've changed policy, you cannot have separate equipment at each location. They usually require a second account for that.

Many have always simply had a second dish and moved receivers. And some have called Dish to have the location changed. There must be more to this because it doesn't sound new?

Hi Deltona_Rider and :welcome to Sat Guys. Laddyboy is correct that that you would need a dish installed at both locations and then you can move all the receivers and remotes between the two locations. You would need to have completed any commitment on either account to be able to set this up. Please PM me directly and I can assist you further. I did check with Mike and he will be following up with you shortly as well. Thank you!

I would pause 1 account for 6 months and bring The equipment back and fourth between the 2 locations.

When the pause ends on the first account, put the other account on pause and take the equipment from the first account back and fourth.

When the commitment comes up on either of the 2 accounts, cancel that account out.

No need for second account for a vacation home. This is just dish network scamming you to get another account out of you to make their customer numbers look better.

Got my response, and as the account name states, 'SNOW' job for "snowbird" account, that is not only impossible but since I installed cables during construction of the house and they are inside of the walls, plus aligning the LNB is not an easy chore. So it looks like the only way is have two accounts. Again I am waiting for the answer of not removing LNB's.
LeMar, Michael
7:21 PM (15 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Thank you for your response! You would need to unhook your entire system, including the cables, and take it to the other residence. That includes the LNB as that piece is what transports the signal from the dish to the cable that runs into the house to your receiver.

Thank you,

Mike LeMar
DISH

Got my response, and as the account name states, 'SNOW' job for "snowbird" account, that is not only impossible but since I installed cables during construction of the house and they are inside of the walls, plus aligning the LNB is not an easy chore. So it looks like the only way is have two accounts. Again I am waiting for the answer of not removing LNB's.
LeMar, Michael
7:21 PM (15 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Thank you for your response! You would need to unhook your entire system, including the cables, and take it to the other residence. That includes the LNB as that piece is what transports the signal from the dish to the cable that runs into the house to your receiver.

Thank you,

Mike LeMar
DISH

Wrong. I do it every winter. No LNB Bullsh!t is involved at all. Mary B and I both explained how it works. You problem is that you have two accounts now. Claude suggested how to do it until one account has completed its commitment and can be terminated and the receivers returned. Once you get rid of one of the accounts, you can then have a snowbird account and just take the receivers back and forth. If you don't want to drag stuff back and forth, you'll need two accounts and sets of receivers.

Update from Mike LeMar:
profile_mask2.png

LeMar, Michael
6:01 PM (9 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

I do apologize for the information I previously gave! Please don’t remove your dish or LNB. There should already be a dish set up at both locations since service has already been established at each. All you need to do is take everything inside the house with you: receivers with their smartcards and the remotes. Simply hook them up at your new home with the dish already there and it should be ready to use.

Mike LeMar
DISH

Can we put in for CSR pay? In fact, callers to Dish should be directed here for answers, including to the DIRT team of course.

Update from Mike LeMar:
profile_mask2.png

LeMar, Michael
6:01 PM (9 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

I do apologize for the information I previously gave! Please don’t remove your dish or LNB. There should already be a dish set up at both locations since service has already been established at each. All you need to do is take everything inside the house with you: receivers with their smartcards and the remotes. Simply hook them up at your new home with the dish already there and it should be ready to use.

Mike LeMar
DISH
if I understand this. Only the Hopper 3 and remote moves. If I have a Joey on a 2nd TV that moves too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)