Dish stock down 22% today as I type

There are just so many of these MVNOs now. Every cable co. is offering a phone, Visible, I'm with Google Fi.
And that is Boost’s problem.
I think 5G home would be a good use of the spectrum in the interim and get some much needed cash flow in, but I don't see much of an effort to get something like that out.
As Scott posted, the speed and maybe range is just not up for it, also would take billions more to do, those modems would not build themselves, then marketing, then even more years to have enough customers to be profitable.

It has taken years for T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T to ramp up their service, Dish has till spring .

This is only about the stock from a well regarded financial advisor-David Moadel serves as the Chief Analyst and Opportunity Researcher for Portfolio Wealth Global

Dish Network is basically a dinosaur that’s in peril of becoming extinct unless the company drastically changes its business model.

Even before yesterday’s trash-tastic earnings report, there were signs that all was not well with Dish Network.

Along with high borrowing rates, Rollins cited an “ongoing expectation that Dish needs more than $7B of incremental capital through 2025 to fund its network investments and upcoming debt maturities.” That’s a deep financial hole that Dish Network will have to dig itself out of, and higher-for-longer interest rates won’t make it any easier.

I didn’t see any signs of Dish Network attempting to reinvent itself, however. The only things I see are that the company is losing subscribers through an asset sale, suddenly switching out its CEO, and devolving from income-positive to income-negative. So, in case I didn’t make it crystal clear already, I absolutely do not believe that anyone should consider DISH stock.

Sadly, I agree with his assessment.:smug

But that doesn't make him smarter than everyone else and I don't equate lots of money with being smarter. He was just at the right place at the right time.
I have to kind of agree with that, if I did not get in early with Netflix ( a big part of my portfolio), even way before the 7 to 1 stock split, I would never of been able to retire at 52.

I am back to work at 56, but not for the money, more to get out of my funk and to know all the secrets.

Yes, but what decade are you talking about? In the 90s yes he did provide the lowest cable/sat option, but that hasn't been the case since the 2000's.:smug

If you're careful, you can get a good value with Dish, probably the best of all traditional providers. A Wally with OTA adapter and EHD saves all the fees. The Hopper just never made sense to me after you add up all the fees.

I made a minor investment upfront, I think the Wally was $59 at the time, a case for a 500gb drive I took out of a laptop and the $30 for the white Sling TV adapter. $100 upfront investment saved me hundreds over the years.

And that is Boost’s problem.

As Scott posted, the speed and maybe range is just not up for it, also would take billions more to do, those modems would not build themselves, then marketing, then even more years to have enough customers to be profitable.

It has taken years for T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T to ramp up their service, Dish has till spring .
Either partner with a big company like Amazon or sell the bandwith to the highest bidder and get out of the wireless business all together. I think it was a mistake to try to build a network like that from scratch, with the deadlines that were in place by the FCC. Boost is a prepaid service and there is limited amount of people that still use prepay any longer. The poorer classes might still use this kind of service but their income is limited as well and I am sure churn is high. Also I have seen next to nothing on the internet or TV for Boost Mobile. No catchy tune or spokesperson like Ryan Reynolds either.

If you're careful, you can get a good value with Dish, probably the best of all traditional providers. A Wally with OTA adapter and EHD saves all the fees. The Hopper just never made sense to me after you add up all the fees.

I made a minor investment upfront, I think the Wally was $59 at the time, a case for a 500gb drive I took out of a laptop and the $30 for the white Sling TV adapter. $100 upfront investment saved me hundreds over the years.
I love DISH as a satellite service and the Hopper is the best but unfortunately streaming is taking over and the younger generations don't want live TV service and as the older generations die out the satellite subs go with it.

I still think that he should concentrate on merging DISH and Sling TV together and use the better graphics and guide like DISH with the cheaper price of Sling TV and the programming packs that you can add or subtract to save money. The Sling guide is a mess with no channel numbers and everything thrown in there like a jumble. You have to search through the guide for anything you want to see and with all the free crap thrown in it is frustrating. You can't really build your own guide the way you want to. But imagine the DISH interface and colorful guides over streaming. It would look as good as You Tube TV if they did it right. Add to it the better DVR interface and you could have something to really sell to the public. Pipe dream of mine.

If you're careful, you can get a good value with Dish, probably the best of all traditional providers.
I agree with that in the past, but no longer, streaming is now beating him at the low cost game, including his own service.

But as I pointed out before, the majority of those who leave Cable/Satellite are not going to the streaming Live TV Service.

In 2016/17, cable/Sat had 100 Million households ( today there are 131 Million Households), today 55 Million, streaming Live TV has only 13-14 Million, that means, roughly 31 million just left Live TV entirely , then the other 30 million that never had it, so as of today, roughly 69 Million have Live TV, 62 Million do not, by the end of next year the majority will flip.

But streaming is not the only reason paid Live TV is dying, On-Demand and DVRs have taught people they do not need Live TV.

Either partner with a big company like Amazon or sell the bandwith to the highest bidder and get out of the wireless business all together. I think it was a mistake to try to build a network like that from scratch, with the deadlines that were in place by the FCC. Boost is a prepaid service and there is limited amount of people that still use prepay any longer. The poorer classes might still use this kind of service but their income is limited as well and I am sure churn is high. Also I have seen next to nothing on the internet or TV for Boost Mobile. No catchy tune or spokesperson like Ryan Reynolds either.
It was too late..everyone already had a cell phone..the best you could do is steal customers..all the dynamic growth was over

Boost is a prepaid service and there is limited amount of people that still use prepay any longer. The poorer classes might still use this kind of service but their income is limited as well and I am sure churn is high.
I use prepaid and not poor, this year, unlimited everything, along with a new Samsung Galaxy 53 for $249 this year, if I keep the phone another year , price for unlimited service is $169 a year.

Service is with Verizon, I will never give it up since I barely use it now, do not really want to pay more.
Also I have seen next to nothing on the internet or TV for Boost Mobile. No catchy tune or spokesperson like Ryan Reynolds either.
And that is why they need marketing, but to make any real difference, needs a lot of money, still will take years to notice.

As Scott posted that they cannot sell phones with Amazon, then it is truly doomed.

Dish also lost all their phone customers in PR, read it was about 120,000 in that sale to make a quick buck.

Last edited:

Layoffs have begun.

Article related-

“Dish has no money. They have more spectrum than they know what to do with. Among their many problems – their Boost pre-paid business is floundering; their Boost post-paid launch is stillborn; their satellite TV business is in free fall; their streaming video service is imploding; free cash flow is already negative and is falling fast.”

More news-

Charter Communications now counts 7.22 million mobile lines of service, just below the 7.5 million counted by Dish Network. If the companies continue on their respective trajectories, Charter's mobile business could be bigger than Dish's by early 2024.

It is just amazing how quick things have turned for Dish, it is like all of the bad has caught up to them.

And again, if they did not have 5G /mobile phone business , they probably would have already acquired DirecTV, then would be the number 1 video provider right now.

With that many subscribers, 9 Million Dish/Sling with 12 Million DirecTV Sat and Streaming/Uverse, that is 19 Million subs ( almost 5 million more then Comcast), they would of had the power to help shape what the future would of looked like with Live TV.

Article related-

“Dish has no money. They have more spectrum than they know what to do with. Among their many problems – their Boost pre-paid business is floundering; their Boost post-paid launch is stillborn; their satellite TV business is in free fall; their streaming video service is imploding; free cash flow is already negative and is falling fast.”

Biased article.

Biased article.
In what way?

In all my years of investing, do not put your personal feelings into it, if you do, the data needs to back up how you feel.

Example, Tesla, I believe Musk is a idiot for buying Twitter, but I believe Tesla is a solid company ( but I own a Mach E), so when the share price hit around $100, I bought a bunch, wish I bought a lot more.

Last edited:
I had seen some reference to DiSH & the mouse. Is it maybe rate disputation?

DiSH subscriber rates only look "good" by comparison with sky-high rates for cable, DTV, etc. Charlie inarguably fought hardest against soaring asks from programmers over the years, but also steadily devalued the customer experience with sneaky fees, poor service, etc. After having promised to be better.

I had seen some reference to DiSH & the mouse.
Maybe you are thinking of last year when Disney/Dish had their little dispute and then agreed on a new contract.
DiSH subscriber rates only look "good" by comparison with sky-high rates for cable, DTV, etc. Charlie inarguably fought hardest against soaring asks from programmers over the years, but also steadily devalued the customer experience with sneaky fees, poor service, etc. After having promised to be better.
They all do that and they all say that they are fighting for the customer, none really do.

But Dish is not close to the likes of Comcast, Charter, both of whom have had two price increases a year for the last few years, along with all those fees, Broadcast, RSN, boxes, etc.

DirecTV is doing the same this year, trying to get profits up so they look good to prospective buyers next summer.