Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH Submits Comments to FCC on Wireless Rules

ENGLEWOOD, CO -- (Marketwire) -- 05/17/12 -- DISH (NASDAQ: DISH)
• Colorado company outlines its contributions to solving the "spectrum crunch"
• DISH to deliver competition, choice to mobile wireless data consumers
• Wireless broadband network to be built on LTE-Advanced standard
• Commits to multi-billion dollar investment; tens of thousands of jobs
• Proven track record of delivering competitive, disruptive technology

DISH has submitted its comments in response to the Federal Communications Commission's Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) regarding wireless spectrum licensed by the Colorado-based pay-TV provider.

The question before the FCC is whether to change the current rules governing the so-called "Mobile-Satellite Service" spectrum so that it can be more efficiently used to deliver mobile wireless services for data, voice and video applications into the mass market.

"We're optimistic that the FCC can complete its rulemaking by the end of the summer," said Tom Cullen, executive vice president of DISH. "Unleashing additional spectrum for wireless broadband is one of the highest stated priorities of the Obama administration and the FCC. We're prepared to help meet the challenge as soon as reasonable modifications to the rules are approved."

Last year, DISH invested $3 billion to take control of 40 MHz of spectrum in the 2 GHz band. This spectrum remains largely unused due to the uncompetitive requirements currently in place.
The FCC has estimated that demand for mobile data -- the type consumed by smart phones, tablets and computers -- will "grow between 25 and 50 times" its 2010 levels by 2015.

In its comments to the Commission, DISH emphasized the following key points regarding its timing, investment and job creation opportunities:

MEETING THE SPECTRUM CRUNCH: "DISH's planned entry into the wireless market could not come at a better time for American consumers. America's need for more competitive mobile broadband services, and for spectrum required to sustain and grow these services, will increase exponentially during the next several years."

TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE: "The Commission's proposal to modify DISH's license represents an important step toward putting 40 MHz of wireless broadband spectrum to use for American consumers as quickly as possible. It is critical, however, that the Commission acts expeditiously so that the spectrum can actually be utilized by new competitive services."

DEPLOYING ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: "DISH will take advantage of LTE-Advanced, the most advanced wireless technology available, without being captive to a 'legacy' technology. If the Commission acts quickly, DISH is poised to enter the market at a time when mobile broadband technology is leaping to significantly superior capabilities."

INVESTING IN JOB CREATION: "To deploy and operate a full-fledged terrestrial broadband wireless network, DISH is prepared to spend billions of dollars on infrastructure and employ tens of thousands of Americans."

PROVEN TRACK RECORD: "DISH has a long history of implementing innovative approaches to its businesses and acting as a disruptive, dynamic force that promotes vibrant, competitive markets. DISH is ready to bring this same competitive energy to the mobile broadband marketplace."

Should be interesting. Wireless internet/media is the future and Dish won't be stuck with lots of their airspace being hogged by "slower" 3G connections. I wonder where they'll prioritize release of broadband OTA coverage.

Should be interesting. Wireless internet/media is the future and Dish won't be stuck with lots of their airspace being hogged by "slower" 3G connections. I wonder where they'll prioritize release of broadband OTA coverage.

Personally I hope they would prioritize the rural communities that either have no broadband or very limited.Think that would be a very strategic move on their part.

Personally I hope they would prioritize the rural communities that either have no broadband or very limited.Think that would be a very strategic move on their part.
Personally I think they should start at my home and work outward from there. :D

And just what is so wrong with a cluster of towers in the back yard?:D If I were a lil,well maybe a lot wealthier I'd have a few windmill towers a solar array a cell phone tower.....

Could they include a wind mill with the tower? That way it pays my electricity and I get first service for the LTE Advanced broadband service? Personally, I don't see why Dish wouldn't do that.

Could they include a wind mill with the tower? That way it pays my electricity and I get first service for the LTE Advanced broadband service? Personally, I don't see why Dish wouldn't do that.

Awesome idea!!Maybe we could propose for Dish to consider it.:D

Honestly, I think this is exciting. The idea that a TV content distributor that I'd actually want (Directv or Dish), being able to offer such a service is very cool. It is very forward thinking and I think Ergen is going to pull it off.
Awesome idea!!Maybe we could propose for Dish to consider it.:D
What's that email address to the CEO for customer service? Or should I contact DIRT? :D

Honestly, I think this is exciting. The idea that a TV content distributor that I'd actually want (Directv or Dish), being able to offer such a service is very cool. It is very forward thinking and I think Ergen is going to pull it off.

What's that email address to the CEO for customer service? Or should I contact DIRT? :D

That might be above the rank of Dirt,crying shame we no longer have Charlie chats a call like that coming in would be a ratings winner!

Would it be cheaper to maintain a terrestrial network than a satellite based one?

You can probably figure out why I've asked.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

If it was cheaper, that would be the way it is done, no it is cheaper to do it by satellite, despite the enormous expense of satellites, the cost of running cable all over the country would be greater and less reliable.

Why do cable systems use satellite to get their programming to distribute on their tiny (relatively) little systems.

If DirecTV and Dish each had to wire the nation for their customers, they would have gone broke years ago.

That's why very few locales have more than one cable system.

I believe John's question is in reference to Satellite vs. Terrestrial Wireless, not via cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts