Need to move TV and decide how to run cabling.

safetyfastmg

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
Currently have two dish HD receivers. 622 and 722 I think. Each runs 2 TVs. One HD and the other not. My wife is wanting to get an additional HD tv to replace one of the standard def TVs. It will be mounted on the wall, which is going to require a new cable run. So, here's the dilema. What cabling should I run? Is there some way to split a HD signal so that I can run two HD tvs off one box or will I need a third box? Is there some resource I can look to? The TV, as I mentioned will be on the wall. There's an electrical outlet there already, but I'll have to run cable. I plan to have the DVD player/receiver in a cabinet in the corner of the room. Should I run Cat 5e? HDMI? Coax6? Thanks.

Consider getting a third receiver, a 211 dedicated to the new TV feeding HDMI from the receiver to the new TV.

Multiple TV's can be run off the HD Tuner 1 of the duo receivers but the same channel is displayed on all connected TV's.

I plan to have the DVD player/receiver in a cabinet in the corner of the room. Should I run Cat 5e? HDMI? Coax6? Thanks.

Depends what inputs the TV has. I would run at least 2 HDMI, 1 RG6 coax and 1 composite from the cabinet to the TV.
Ethernet is up to you depending how your network is wired now.
You will only need 1 RG6 coax to feed whatever rec you put in the cabinet. 2 if you use OTA.

If you go with a Hopper/Joey setup, the Joey can be easily mounted behind the TV set: it's small, light and uses an RF remote. That's what I did. No need to run HDMI cables through the wall, just one RG6 cable (optionally a CAT5). Simplifies the wiring a lot.

Now, if you want to use some other video sources, like DVD or Blu-ray, then you do need the HDMI cable or two.

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

It comes down to what you want to watch on the new TV. Mirroring a TV1 from one of the existing DVRs is probably the easiest.

Are you going to have a separate sound system associated with the new TV? Wall mounted TVs are notorious for poor sound.

I've seen the Hopper commercials, but hadn't looked at how it works. That may be the simplest solution. I guess with it, all I would need to do is install a coax outlet at the TV and run whatever additional cables for DVD player etc. This is in our living room, so not going the home theater route. Will probably do a sound bar beneath the TV. Has anyone run CAT5e for their HD connections and what would I need to do that?

I would go for a 2 Hopper 2 Joey setup. You will have a very similar setup with similar restrictions.Everyone gets HD then. Dont let them fool you with a 1 hopper 3 joey setup it wont be the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)