Dish support is horrible

Riker

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
I've been dealing with Dish and audio/sync issue for about a year. DISH does not care one bit. I was told by two loyalty supervisors that dish will not let me out of my remaining 10 month contract for any reason, PERIOD. Even if that means they are only sending me one channel and it's in black and white. IF it is a fixable issue, I have to continue to pay until it's fixed or they send a tech out 3 times in a 90 day period. Well, I've had two tech, wasting two of my days of my life and both saw the issues and stated it was a software issue with the units. They could do nothing for me. I've just been dealing with the sync issue by just hitting the back button a few times then live tv and then it's in sync again. This audio sync issue does not happen while watching netflix via the hopper, nor my blu ray payer or my fire stick. I've had four or more hoppers, all with the same issue. Furthermore, they can't seem to get the sort by episode down. I call and I'm told they'll send off my issues and get them fix; never happens and they never fix anything and Dish doesn't seem to care. Instead of fixing things and making TV better, they'd rather add facebook, games and other crap to the receiver? SERIOUSLY, WHY? Why not make it when you hit the red button and it shows you what's on each tuner have all of them there; if you have two hoppers like me connected together, they show six there and all six tuners can have timers set from either hopper? Instead, social crap is worked on?
So I had them send a tech out today since they did not want to believe the last two tech and sure enough, software issue. I called again once he left and talked to another loyalty person, and he read the notes about it being a software issue and still, he thinks sending another tech is a way to pass me off.
I've been with Dish since 1998 and have done my own installs as the equipment changed over the years, spent $1000 on a 921 when it came out, $650 on a 942, got a 622 sitting in my garage; and thousands of more dollars on more equipment and switches etc and a ton on service since and this is how I'm treated. Unreal.
Hopefully here is a pic of the sort by episode that they can't get right!
I have a video showing the audio/sync issue but it won't let me upload it.
IMG_5672.JPG

Huh. Maybe a post of the video on YouTube? I'm having trouble understanding why you are the only person complaining about this problem. If this were pandemic, half the people on SatGuys would be screaming!

Do you see this happening only on playback of a recorded program? What happens on the same channel live? Are all channels doing this? The only time I've ever had this particular problem, it was only on one channel. I complained to dishquality at echostar dot com and they fixed it pretty quickly.

There are few unanswered questions;
1. Are both hoppers having the problem?
2. If you unpair the Hoppers does the problem persist?
3. If it is one Hopper location doing it, have you put that Hopper in the other location and tried it? And if one location try another TV in that location?
4. Are Joey's being used? Are they affected? If they are disconnected from the system does the problem persist?
5. Is it all channels?

Combining everything you posted, I would not be looking at a software problem, it not being a problem overall for people, and again depending on the answers to what I asked;
1. Something in the installation is wrong. Start with the simple, especially if it is one location and change the HDMI cable. Avoiding using a short one of 6' or less, that is known to cause issues with some TV's and installations. Even if both are having the issue try two new HDMI cables not of the same make as you are now using.

2. Make certain if your TV has a CEC setting it is turned off.

3. Did you do the installation? If DISH did it, contact DIRT here and see if they can get someone to come and check the install not so much the Hopper(s). But be sure you have tried the simple first.

Something is bad in the installation, could be simple as HDMI or TV settings, could be a component issue maybe a node or some other connection. If Joey(s) is being used perhaps a problem with their connection causing the problem.

First, thanks for the replies. I will upload to youtube. I've been with dish since 1998 and have seen and owned almost every receiver they have and gone through every piece of hardware needed from the roof sat part to switches galore. Most have been my installs up to when I paid $200 each to lease the hoppers when they came out. This is when they came out and put a new sat and nodes up, installed the hoppers with slings. I have two hoppers connected together. The pic is on both that you are able to see. One tv is a sharp 3d 70 inch unit from costco that was $3500 or $4000, about 2 or 3 years old. The other is a panasonic 3d ptae8000 projector.
I mostly watch on the sharp, in the family room. The projector is in a dedicated home theater.
The sync prob happens on live tv or recorded it doesn't matter and is any channel. At first I thought maybe it was just the COMBO of this sharp tv and dish. But it never happens on a blu ray player, or media streamer, fire stick or netflix via the hopper. Multiple hoppers have been tested. The tech on yesterday (sat) concluded setup etc was fine.
Does no one else have this sort by episode issue after grouping the recordings? I've even factory did the unit to nothing on it and it did the same thing?
I think I'm more upset with how dish has responded/treated than the receiver issues.

I'm guessing that you are connected to your TV directly from the Hopper via HDMI. Is that correct, and are you pushing sound via an optical cable to an AVR... I had the same thing on my Hopper to Sharp TV via HDMI direct and then optical cable to my Denon AVR. I needed to upgrade my Denon to one that allowed HDMI in and out. My particular Denon also has automatic lip sync controls...

I have notice this happens on my Hoppers sometimes as well.
No all the time and not on every channel I would say mostly I noticed this on SD Version of a channel.

But I have noticed this more now that I have DISH.
When I had cable with TIVO equipment I had no such issues.

and your sound is directly out of the Sharp? I've had my Sharp for the same period you have and a Hopper as well. If I went directly HDMI from the Hopper to the Sharp I had no lip sync issues. Only if I used optical to the AVR....

Directly out of hopper to sharp. Doesn't happen when I'm watching netflix via hopper.

Never transferred any recordings since I've had the hopper. Last time, was, with a pocket dish years ago.

Try transferring one and see if it does the same thing. If it does, we know it is how it is coming in and being unencrypted. If it doesn't, we can rule out everything prior to the hopper, and in some cases even the Hopper.

Directly out of hopper to sharp. Doesn't happen when I'm watching netflix via hopper.
Do you happen to have an optical cable coming out of Sharp to a soundbar or audio receiver? I ask because I had my hopper setup at first with hdmi out to my LG TV and then my tv's optical out to my audio receiver, it doesn't have a hdmi input. This caused an audio lag like you are describing. To fix this I ran hdmi to my tv with the speaker set to off in tv's audio settings and then ran optical from hopper to audio receiver. No more sync issues.

No optical cable. Out of hopper into sharp via hdmi. Had a tech out sat. He stated it was a software issue. Another tech came yesterday after the phone conversation with loyalty team tells me the notes they have from said tech was that it was a software issue. So yep after a confirmation of it being a hopper software issue, they send out another tech to see. Four tech now. I guess I'll call again and keep having them send someone out.

Without reviewing this whole thread... Have you tried going straight from hopper to TV for sound and picture. Basically disco the AVR. Does the issue still happen when it is just those two components involved.

Without reviewing this whole thread... Have you tried going straight from hopper to TV for sound and picture. Basically disco the AVR. Does the issue still happen when it is just those two components involved.
Yes, he has....post #10.

Reactions: ChadT41
I was busy in the water closet when I wrote that. Wasn't in a back reading mood. Lol. Thanks for the info though, KAB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)