Dish Support?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Re: 1, can anyone else speak to this?

Re: 2, to clarify, the EHD gets attached as an external drive, but you can still view recordings from it via the hopper/joeys. I guess the question that follows, then, is this: does the hopper automatically record to the external drive if it's running out of (internal) space, or do I have to manually tell it to save recordings to the external drive? Sorry, I meant to cover that and probably ran right over myself. You will be recording to the internal drive and ahve to move the events to the EHD

Re: 3, can you clarify this a bit? So if I initially order a hopper, super joey, and joey, then want to add a 4th room, I can't just get one more joey? Why would I lose the super joey, and why would I need a 2nd hopper? Would a 2nd hopper mean two separate recording lists, or do they all get combined together into one list that can be accessed throughout the house? If you want more than 5 tuners total, we would have to swap the Super Joey for Hopper. They would be two separate recording lists, but if there is a timer conflict on one Hopper it will ask if you want to move the timer to the other Hopper if a tuner is open there. The Joey's would have access tot he Hopper they are linked to, and not the other Hopper unless you unlink them and link them to the other Hopper which can be done in the menu's.

Re: 4, great news, thank you.

Re: additional question, Dish has built-in internet? the Hopper with sling has a built in Wi-FI adapter so no other equipment would be need to hook it up to your existing Wi-Fi network.

Re: the chat interaction, I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but it was extremely frustrating. She kept saying the same "canned" things over and over, and was in a huge rush to get off the chat. Almost like she wanted to go out of her way to NOT get my business. It was very odd, and frustrating. Oh I know, and no one will, but it will be used as a learning tool to prevent that from happening in the future ;)

I think that's either old (from before I had DirecTV) or new (since I got rid of DirecTV), because when I had it, it would add to the pool. Either way, if I can add a 4tb drive and it replaces the 1tb drive, that's still better than 2tb.

It's always been that way with DirecTV.

And it's not better than 2TB and 2 more 2TB drives that can be moved to other Hoppers or replacement receivers on your account. It's the only system that allows you to keep your recordings when upgrading or replacing a defective receiver. You can also save your timers and receiver settings to your remote and restore all the data to a replacement receiver.

And you can sling...

1. Not a matter of being or not being fixed. With DISH you never could be in the process of recording, leave the channel and come back to where you were, or leave the actual recording and come back to where it was. Only after the program is finished recording. If that is a huge deal get Direct as I believe you can do that with them.

2. An external hard drive, which has to be self powered and not by the USB port, is for moving recorded material and you can not record directly to it. I did not think you could record directly to an external drive with Direct, but if you think you can do that with every other provider as you say, and it is very important to you, I wouldn't get DISH. At no time could ever record directly to the EHD I don't see it changing.

3. Yes you can get the receivers you mentioned for three rooms. If you want more rooms a second Hopper would be the way to go and may be required. Personally a second Hopper is the only way I would use a whole home set-up otherwise if the one Hopper dies you have no TV.

4. NHL channel is indeed part of the Top 200 and Top250. But remember like any provider that is always subject to change.

5. I can't answer if having satellite internet would affect those features of the Hopper that require the internet. My guess is not really, at least not from an internet speed standpoint. Perhaps the lag would have an effect.

If you did not know the locals sports channel(s) (RSN) are not in HD full time. The live pro game will almost always be in HD, but other programming and reruns of the game will be SD.

Dish phone support is indeed horrible much of the time though getting through to them normally does not take long. On the other hand the DISH support team here (DIRT) is better than you can get from most any company.

Reactions: ChadT41
It's always been that way with DirecTV.

And it's not better than 2TB and 2 more 2TB drives that can be moved to other Hoppers or replacement receivers on your account. It's the only system that allows you to keep your recordings when upgrading or replacing a defective receiver. You can also save your timers and receiver settings to your remote and restore all the data to a replacement receiver.

And you can sling...

I've had DirecTV, and I'm fairly sure that my esata drive added to the space, not just replaced it. But either way I disagree with your conclusion. If you plan on having a lot of receivers fail and having to have backups of all of your recordings, then it would, indeed, be a handy feature. But if that's expected with Dish, I'm not sure that's a good thing, you know? DirecTV has lots of hidden fees and their customer service is among the worst of any company I've ever dealt with (both of which are the reasons I switched), but I never had a receiver or DVR fail on me, not once in over 6 years of service.

1. Not a matter of being or not being fixed. With DISH you never could be in the process of recording, leave the channel and come back to where you were, or leave the actual recording and come back to where it was. Only after the program is finished recording. If that is a huge deal get Direct as I believe you can do that with them.

Every service (with DVR) I've ever had can do this.

2. An external hard drive, which has to be self powered and not by the USB port, is for moving recorded material and you can not record directly to it. I did not think you could record directly to an external drive with Direct, but if you think you can do that with every other provider as you say, and it is very important to you, I wouldn't get DISH. At no time could ever record directly to the EHD I don't see it changing.

Yes, you can on DirecTV (and every other service I've had...right now I have WOW! and it does it as well). I had DirecTV and it was just plug and play. Self-powered isn't a big deal, but having to constantly transfer shows if I run out of space might be a big deal. (Note that I use the word "constantly" somewhat facetiously, as I get that it's probably not that common of an occurrence. But I HAVE run out of room with 2TB's of space before).

3. Yes you can get the receivers you mentioned for three rooms. If you want more rooms a second Hopper would be the way to go and may be required. Personally a second Hopper is the only way I would use a whole home set-up otherwise if the one Hopper dies you have no TV.

Thanks, but again, is one dying that common of an issue? I had one of my original Tivo units fail (out of 4) long ago, and never any other, from any other service including Comcast, Verizon FIOS, DirecTV, Uverse, and now WOW. Should I be worried about this?

4. NHL channel is indeed part of the Top 200 and Top250. But remember like any provider that is always subject to change.

Noted.

5. I can't answer if having satellite internet would affect those features of the Hopper that require the internet. My guess is not really, at least not from an internet speed standpoint. Perhaps the lag would have an effect.

My biggest fear with satellite internet is that I've read that while it may be "rated" at 12Mbps, many users often find themselves getting 2-3 in reality, which is too slow for many things, including Netflix, etc. I just don't want that to hobble the Hopper's capabilities (or Genie's, or whatever's).

If you did not know the locals sports channel(s) (RSN) are not in HD full time. The live pro game will almost always be in HD, but other programming and reruns of the game will be SD.

I didn't know this. You say the live game will be in HD...does that including recordings of that live game? Or are all recordings done in SD also?

Dish phone support is indeed horrible much of the time though getting through to them normally does not take long. On the other hand the DISH support team here (DIRT) is better than you can get from most any company.

I didn't even contact their phone support, it was via chat.

I think that's either old (from before I had DirecTV) or new (since I got rid of DirecTV), because when I had it, it would add to the pool. Either way, if I can add a 4tb drive and it replaces the 1tb drive, that's still better than 2tb.
Directv external HDs replace, not augment the internal. It was that way 4 years ago on my HR2x's and still that way 3 months ago when I added one to a friend's genie. What's worse, you lose access to anything already recorded on the internal drive when you attach the external, so make the decision early.

There is a rumor an upcoming update will change that behavior - how exactly isn't clear.

I feel much safer with the recordings I want to keep living on a drive that isn't being pounded on 24/7 for DVR use.

Reactions: JSheridan
Directv external HDs replace, not augment the internal. It was that way 4 years ago on my HR2x's and still that way 3 months ago when I added one to a friend's genie. What's worse, you lose access to anything already recorded on the internal drive when you attach the external, so make the decision early.

There is a rumor an upcoming update will change that behavior - how exactly isn't clear.

I feel much safer with the recordings I want to keep living on a drive that isn't being pounded on 24/7 for DVR use.

Ah, you know what, now that you mention it, I do remember that, because my wife had recorded a few episodes of something before I added the hard drive, and she couldn't access them with the hard drive plugged in. Still, I was able to add a 2TB hard drive and expand the space, and my understanding is that the Genie supports even larger ones now.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm bashing Dish. I'm just trying to make sure I know what I'm getting into before I make a decision. I got darn fed up with all of the extra fees on DirecTV, and their customer service was truly awful, but I never had any problems with the actual service, equipment, etc. But customer service is important to me, so I'm leaning toward Dish for those reasons and because I think the Hopper has some cool features. But it seems like it lags behind in some others (some of which are standard, basic DVR function), and I'll need to weigh the pros and cons.

So I'm leaning toward Dish for those reasons and because I think the Hopper has some cool features. But it seems like it lags behind in some others (some of which are standard, basic DVR function).
For example?

For example?

All of the things we've been talking about in this thread. Namely, the ability to be watching a recording (an in-progress one), switch to something else, and go back and have it remember your place; and the ability to add a hard drive to expand your available recording space.

Thanks, but again, is one dying that common of an issue? I had one of my original Tivo units fail (out of 4) long ago, and never any other, from any other service including Comcast, Verizon FIOS, DirecTV, Uverse, and now WOW. Should I be worried about this?
It's not just about failure. I still have access to recordings made 7+ years ago and I've moved from 622 to 722 to Hopper to Hopper with Sling. The existing EHDs have seamlessly made each transition.

It's not just about failure. I still have access to recordings made 7+ years ago and I've moved from 622 to 722 to Hopper to Hopper with Sling. The existing EHDs have seamlessly made each transition.

Fair enough. I guess I just can't imagine a situation where I would need to preserve recordings for that long, outside of a DVR failure (which, again, raises other concerns).

All of the things we've been talking about in this thread. Namely, the ability to be watching a recording (an in-progress one), switch to something else, and go back and have it remember your place; and the ability to add a hard drive to expand your available recording space.
To your point...you need to decide what is important...and decide accordingly.

To your point...you need to decide what is important...and decide accordingly.

Yep, that's what I'm doing. I didn't know a lot of this before I got here earlier today, so it's been helpful. Unfortunately, I now have more on the "cons" list than I did when I got here too.

I've had DirecTV, and I'm fairly sure that my esata drive added to the space, not just replaced it. But either way I disagree with your conclusion. If you plan on having a lot of receivers fail and having to have backups of all of your recordings, then it would, indeed, be a handy feature. But if that's expected with Dish, I'm not sure that's a good thing, you know? DirecTV has lots of hidden fees and their customer service is among the worst of any company I've ever dealt with (both of which are the reasons I switched), but I never had a receiver or DVR fail on me, not once in over 6 years of service.

I have a DirecTV Genie right here and it works just like it says it does on the DirecTV web site. We've had several DirecTV DVR's fail and lost all the recordings and timers and settings every time. I have a Hopper and a Genie and I use the Hopper for everything and the Genie for back up.

Enjoy your DirecTV.

An advantage of having 2 Hoppers is that if there is a timing conflict when you set up q timer, it will ask you if you want to use the other Hopper to record.

Reactions: Tampa8
I have a DirecTV Genie right here and it works just like it says it does on the DirecTV web site. We've had several DirecTV DVR's fail and lost all the recordings and timers and settings.

Enjoy your DirecTV.

Yeah, I noted that earlier in the thread. Reading is hard.

Also, I haven't decided for DirecTV yet (and given my prior experience with them, it's not likely now either). But with comments like that, it wouldn't surprise me if you did drive people away from the company you obviously prefer.

An advantage of having 2 Hoppers is that if there is a timing conflict when you set up q timer, it will ask you if you want to use the other Hopper to record.

Cool. So, question to those who have one hopper and super joey...how often do you run into an issue where you run out of tuners to use? I understand that a huge percentage of DVR recordings are from the big 4 networks, so if they're all on one tuner, do you still run out of the others often?

Yeah, I noted that earlier in the thread. Reading is hard.

Also, I haven't decided for DirecTV yet (and given my prior experience with them, it's not likely now either). But with comments like that, it wouldn't surprise me if you did drive people away from the company you obviously prefer.

Good for you Einstein. There are actually some customers a company is better off without.

Good bye.

Reactions: KAB
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts