Dish supposedly adds 655,000 subs for Q2 2012

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
I couldn't imagine there being mass amounts of sub loss from the dropping of AMC. I haven't heard much complaining about it in my area.

As DISH's Q2 conference call is slated for August 7th, I suspect these numbers may be marketplace expectations as opposed to the real thing (yes, I see that the article says that "DISH says"). I have a nagging feeling that they can get in trouble leaking that kind of information before the official announcement.

Wow, 655,000 subs is a big turn around for DISH . That sounds like the Hopper campaign is really working . I know every other commercial on Am radio is a Hopper one : DISH summer Sale! I hope this is the beginning of more good things for DISH in the future.

I couldn't imagine there being mass amounts of sub loss from the dropping of AMC. I haven't heard much complaining about it in my area.

And I doubt you would. Most people will be calling the 800 number, not talking to local Dish dealers. You might have a few local yokels calling you but otherwise local dealers are a distant memory.

You'd be surprised how many customers call us regarding channels. I look forward to football season when they call and ask every Saturday morning to find out what channel the Iowa football game is on.

Wow, 655,000 subs is a big turn around for DISH . That sounds like the Hopper campaign is really working . I know every other commercial on Am radio is a Hopper one : DISH summer Sale! I hope this is the beginning of more good things for DISH in the future.

You are right.....It looks like Hopper campaign...although the number does look high. Lets see if that is Net gain after churn?

And direc's dispute with viacomm is bringing loads more to dish. My office alone went from being able to offer same day installs to being booked 8 days out practically over night. Atleast half of my installs everyday lately have been swapping from them to us. Ofcourse these wouldn't be part of the Q2 results.

If Direct TV subs are switching over Viacom, then;
1. They are in for a shock if they don't know the Dish history with disputes
2. They are spoiled by Direct losing/dropping channels rarely.

I'm very happy with Dish most always have been, but I don't suggest anyone switch (to or from) over a channel dispute until it's clear the channel is not coming back. Then decide.

As for the increase before the disputes, I'm not really surprised with all the advertising, did not think it would be quite that many however. (If it is)

Perhaps my reading comprehension skills are deteriorating but I think the referenced report states that Dish had a net loss of 10,000 subscribers in the 2nd quarter of 2012. The 655,000 was the gross number of subscribers added so I would have to assume that Dish lost 665,000 subscribers in 2nd quarter 2012 if the referenced report is accurate. This would be surprisingly disappointing because of the Hopper release.

If Direct TV subs are switching over Viacom, then;
1. They are in for a shock if they don't know the Dish history with disputes
2. They are spoiled by Direct losing/dropping channels rarely.

I'm very happy with Dish most always have been, but I don't suggest anyone switch (to or from) over a channel dispute until it's clear the channel is not coming back. Then decide.

As for the increase before the disputes, I'm not really surprised with all the advertising, did not think it would be quite that many however. (If it is)
Customers do this all the time regardless of who their provider is. They'll switch if they hear a channel might be dropped and they think they'll miss the big game, even though the channel ended up staying.

The biggest difference right now with Dish and DirecTV is that Dish only dropped 3 channels and 1 was somewhat popular, and DirecTV dropped over 20 that affected a larger demographic of customers. If anyone was on the fence with DirecTV, this pushed them over.

Perhaps my reading comprehension skills are deteriorating but I think the referenced report states that Dish had a net loss of 10,000 subscribers in the 2nd quarter of 2012. The 655,000 was the gross number of subscribers added so I would have to assume that Dish lost 665,000 subscribers in 2nd quarter 2012 if the referenced report is accurate. This would be surprisingly disappointing because of the Hopper release.

Seems a bit misleading since the title says they added 665,000 net subs but in the article it say gross subs.

This is horrible news for the Hopper if the article is correct

DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH) reports that the DISH branded pay-TV service added approximately 665,000 gross new subscribers and lost approximately 10,000 net subscribers during the three months ended June 30, 2012.

juan said:

DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH) reports that the DISH branded pay-TV service added approximately 665,000 gross new subscribers and lost approximately 10,000 net subscribers during the three months ended June 30, 2012.

Something is off with the numbers. Churn of 1.6 would indicate a loss of ~200K subs + 665K adds would result in ~ +450K subs for the quarter no? Or is churn not calculated as a percentage of existing subs?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

It is good news, it means they added 665,000 and lost 10,000 netting 655k more subs.

There is always going to be people dropping for one reason or another, having 655k more add than drop is very good.

Something is off with the numbers. Churn of 1.6 would indicate a loss of ~200K subs + 665K adds would result in ~ +450K subs for the quarter no? Or is churn not calculated as a percentage of existing subs?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The churn rate is usually calculated as an annual rate. So, most likely 3 prior and current.

It is good news, it means they added 665,000 and lost 10,000 netting 655k more subs.

There is always going to be people dropping for one reason or another, having 655k more add than drop is very good.
when was the last time Dish hasn't lost (as in gross calculations not net) atleast 100,000 subs ? (probably a whole lot more). I know D* loses(in gross calculations) a whole lot more than 100,000 subs a quarter (Im talkin just subs that leave that are not offset by new subs)in otherwords (fictious numbers) D* loses 500,000 subs but gains 2,000,000..im only talking about the loses part

I don't think you are correct. the 665,000 figure is gross but the loss is described as a net loss not the gross loss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)