Dish Swings to Third-Quarter Loss

I have said it before but it is my guess that we could see an increase if up to $8.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I would almost wager with ya on that Scott.:) I just don't think they can get away with being the same price as DTV,and not offer NFL Sunday Ticket,or MLB extra innings.An $8 increase would put them over DTV prices on most packages.

Well could be up to 8.00 dollars? some with advanced equipment/programming and such could see this (hope not :) ) and some others may see a few dollar increase. Right now the Hopper fees are pretty much in line with direct. I would hope they stay in that ball park

Relax. The big point was that the loss was for the most part, the litigation with AMC and if you look at the subscriber loss it was nothing. DTV loss over 100M subs for the same time frame.
The 33 report submitted to the SEC shows very little loss due to other factors. There will not be any huge increase in prices other than the normal pass-through from the providers
and equipment charges.

I really think they will rehaul all the promotions they have. They're have been the same packages for the last three years with similar promotions. It will be interesting to see what they do but we won't know until the January retailer chat.

New promotions won't help existing customers much though. But I can see them changing packages up and creating more mini-packs to soften the blow.

I am betting in the $8.00- $10.00 range increase per programming pack. Most likely an increase in other FEES as well. After all we have already seen increases in the Red Zone channel and other ala cart programming . I'm betting a $10.00 dvr fee will be the new price for all dvrs. And lets not forget the additional receiver prices. It has been all most 3 years since the outrageous increases in the Vip series of dvrs , from $7.00- $17.00. I would not be surprised if we see an increase in the basic $7.00 fee to maybe $8.00 or $9.00. The additional hopper being the same price as the joey always seemed to me to be bait , to get you to add an additional hopper and then BOOM ! They increase the price to similar to what the additional Vip dvrs costs. I hope I am completely wrong ,but I just don't see old Charlie absorbing the losses without spreading the pain around to all of us.

I don't see Dish hitting the subscriber that hard. It would surely increase subscriber downgrades and a subscriber exodus.

Scherrman said:
I really think they will rehaul all the promotions they have. They're have been the same packages for the last three years with similar promotions. It will be interesting to see what they do but we won't know until the January retailer chat.

I have a feeling that dish will rename the packages to hide the increase in cost. I expect $5 increase in all packages. Plus maybe increase in cost of equipment.

It's high time dish invest some money in its management team & it's lawyers also. Too frequent fights for fees that dish eventually lose anyway & we subscriber end up subsidizing all those wrong business moves.

I have said it before but it is my guess that we could see an increase if up to $8.
I don't doubt you at all, but that is going to be very hard to swallow for a lot of people. It is kind of hard to justify that type of increase with an economy that is barely growing. The rate of inflation for programming costs is almost as bad as health care.

I think Dish is loosing too much money on paying their employees. Especially the technicians, and retailers too. Take them all in house, and pay them flat minimum wage. Problem solved.

But seriously, I am very interested in how Dish is going to approach the price increase. They already have so much negative publicity of late...

I just don't see this happening. If they increase it this much they will be equal to or more expensive than Directv for most people. They keep pushing how they are the budget friendly provider. Your $8 to $10 increase plus all your new fees would make them the most expensive provider. Not gonna happen.

You forget that DIRECTV does their yearly price hike in March ,following DISH's February price increase. Besides it might not be all the increases I outlined added together. It might be a combination of various fees and a smaller price hike on the programing packs. The last increase we had two years ago was around $8.00 per basic programming pack, so it isn't much of a stretch to see a similar hike this year. Especially if DISH decides to pull another Two year Price "FREEZE".

I too feel that we're going to get hit hard because of the two year freeze. But I don't think it will be that hard. I think we'll see a $5 base package increase, a $1-$2 receiver increase and a $1 increase in the "mini-packages". The one thing I'm worried about is an additional fee for the "TV2" out tuners. That would really suck. Luckily, I do have plenty of choices and won't be paying $10 or more extra for my current package. I do feel sorry for the people who only have a choice of D* and E* though.

I agree. It will probably be a combination of various fees and a smaller price hike for the programming packs. But if DISH wants to pull another Two Year Price "Freeze", it might just be up to $8.00 per pack. The last time we saw this much was two years ago ,before they had their "freeze" in prices on basic programming packs.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Glad to see we agree on that one. After all didn't DISH hike their basic programming packs by $8.00 two years ago, to provide us with our "Price FREEZE" we have been under?

I don't see Dish hitting the subscriber that hard. It would surely increase subscriber downgrades and a subscriber exodus.

Don't think I meant that all the things I mentioned as increases, will be included at the same time. I mean that DISH could do a combination of things like various fees and maybe a smaller price hike per pack. But $8.00 would not be a stretch since they did just that two years ago before their "price freeze". And don't forget that DIRECTV will announce their price increases the month after DISH does it in February. They will still be cheaper than DIRECTV, because DISH doesn't have $10.00 of their NFL Sunday ticket included in all of the basic programming packs, like DIRECTV does.

Probably increase in fees, including the now reasonable Hopper system fees, perhaps an increase on ALL fees such as Protection Plan, etc., EVERY FEE. Then increase on packages, but the lower the package the lower the increase. Charlie (and Joe, now) are very comfortable really sticking it to AEP folks. Dish just can't have a high fee increase at its lower packages as those people are least loyal and will be the first to leave and take advantage of new customer promos from competitors. The higher package subs and those with higher level equipment/systems are the more loyal customers as those folks as less inclined to leave so quickly as they like the channels they get for the price and like their equipment such as the Hopper and feel a move to a competitor would be an inferior experience or one they are not in the mood to experiment with, unless the hike is just too high, then even those sub jump ship, but more likely to downgrade and stay with Dish. The cost for a tech visit with Protection Plan may go up to $20. I just think they are gonna go to fee us til we drop, make the package increases, but tell us that they haven't raised the package prices for 2 years, so we should be very happy with a substantially higher bill per month, much of higher fees.

I just have strong feeling the Hopper fees, in particular, which include the box/client, DVR or Whole Home Fee are going to go up. At $7 per box, Dish might view that as lots of room to increase. I HOPE NOT. I would be saving money on the fees, but it seems like $7 per box is too good to last.

Probably increase in fees, including the now reasonable Hopper system fees, perhaps an increase on ALL fees such as Protection Plan, etc., EVERY FEE. Then increase on packages, but the lower the package the lower the increase. Charlie (and Joe, now) are very comfortable really sticking it to AEP folks. Dish just can't have a high fee increase at its lower packages as those people are least loyal and will be the first to leave and take advantage of new customer promos from competitors. The higher package subs and those with higher level equipment/systems are the more loyal customers as those folks as less inclined to leave so quickly as they like the channels they get for the price and like their equipment such as the Hopper and feel a move to a competitor would be an inferior experience or one they are not in the mood to experiment with, unless the hike is just too high, then even those sub jump ship, but more likely to downgrade and stay with Dish. The cost for a tech visit with Protection Plan may go up to $20. I just think they are gonna go to fee us til we drop, make the package increases, but tell us that they haven't raised the package prices for 2 years, so we should be very happy with a substantially higher bill per month, much of higher fees.

I just have strong feeling the Hopper fees, in particular, which include the box/client, DVR or Whole Home Fee are going to go up. At $7 per box, Dish might view that as lots of room to increase. I HOPE NOT. I would be saving money on the fees, but it seems like $7 per box is too good to last.

I agree and that was my point. DISH has never met a FEE that they didn't like, or create one they don't LIKE. There is a lot of room to take the 2nd hopper fee to greater heights . I felt all along that just $7.00 for an additional triple tuner hopper dvr that does PTAT for the big 4 networks , was very low. Considering that a second VIP dual tuner would cost you $17.00. Now that many of us have bought a second hopper , I can see DISH hiking this price to similar cost like the Vip series dvrs . That is $10.00 right there they could make off anyone with a second hopper. I also expect a standardization of the dvr fees to one $10.00 dvr fee for all series of dvrs ,regardless of sling or hopper or Vip.

There are so many ways that DISH can hike various fees and only increase the programming packs by smaller amount, and still make up for their increased costs of doing business. Look at the new Surcharges that DISH is charging in my state of Texas. It now cost me an extra .62 cents a month for this surcharge and other states cost even more . DISH will always find away to make Profits ,even when their costs go up ,because they will always pass the cost on to us the subscribers.

Anyone remember when DISH charged a DVR FEE per DVR receiver on your account? How about the tv 2 connection fee of $5.00 for daul tuner receivers? Well they all existed till February of 2010, when DISH shook up their simple additional receiver costs and put them into new receiver families that ranged from the simple $7.00 to the outlandish $17.00 for dual tuner dvr. These new additional receiver fees also absorbed the tv 2 connection fee and the smaller $3.00 cost of each dvr fee ,along with the additional receiver fee. This was done because DISH was accused of being the KING OF FEES. I might add I accused them of that quite a lot. Well instead of eliminating the extra fees littering our bills , they just rolled them into one big additional reciever fee. No loss in fees to DISH , but it looked so much neater on your bill.

But DISH will still be the low cost leader in programming ,because that is their underlying advertising campaign that supercedes all others out there. They are the " low cost leader" in the video industry. But their FEES are open game for increases. So I look to see a lot of increases in fees and a smaller programming pack increase . But we will ALL be paying MORE come February of next year.:behindsofa:

Last edited:
I have cut my programming to the bone already. The only thing left is dropping Dish, since I have an outside antenna and get good reception of 26 channels. I can sign up for unlimited BB movies for $15 per month at my local store. Better than the $71 per month that I now pay.

I have cut my programming to the bone already. The only thing left is dropping Dish, since I have an outside antenna and get good reception of 26 channels. I can sign up for unlimited BB movies for $15 per month at my local store. Better than the $71 per month that I now pay.

Who knows if BB will be open beyond the end of the year,Dish last I heard was shutting it down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)