Dish tech said this will work. Is she correct?

basmntdweller

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
West Indy
I have a DPP twin LNB. It has two cables coming into the house. One goes to my 501 and the other goes to my 522. Just before the 522 there is a DPP separator that is splitting the signal and feeding both tuners. The tech said I could buy another DPP separator and put it on the other cable splitting it, one to my 501 and another line to my 311 that I want to use. I'd have already bought one but have not been able to find one local this late in the day. I should be able to get one monday if you think it will work for me. I don't fully understand all the switches and separators and why some work on the older hardware but not on the newer Plus stuff. All I want to do is add my 311 as cheap as possible.
Thanks,,,Matt

Nope that is not correct. The DPP seperator can only be used to feed 1 DP dual recevier. It cannout be used to feed 2 seperate receivers.

It will not work. The seperator is used to bring 1 line to a dual tuner receiver, but can't be used to feed 2 seperate receivers on 1 feed.

Someone will chime in with an explanation as to why it will not work.

You will need a switch if you want to add another receiver or you could get another dual tuner box & feed the third TV from that, still using only 2 feeds from the dish.

That's what I figured. I figured if it was that easy, someone would have suggested that in my other thread. I bought a DP34 switch but later found it didn't work with the DPP twin. I asked about that in my other thread but never got a clear answer on a setup using it.
Thanks,,,Matt

DP Twin works just fine with a DP34 switch.

If you had issues the something was wrong with the LNB, switch or misconfigured.

Proper setup would be for both lines out of the DP Twin to Port 1 and 2 of the 3 on the left side of on the 34 switch and the 4 ports on the bottom feeding your receivers.

There should have been a sticker on the front of the DP34 diagramming its installation. I've never used a DP Separator so couldn't tell you if it works when there's a DP 34 switch in the setup.

TheDishNetworkInstaller said:
DP Twin works just fine with a DP34 switch.

If you had issues the something was wrong with the LNB, switch or misconfigured.

Proper setup would be for both lines out of the DP Twin to Port 1 and 2 of the 3 on the left side of on the 34 switch and the 4 ports on the bottom feeding your receivers.

There should have been a sticker on the front of the DP34 diagramming its installation. I've never used a DP Separator so couldn't tell you if it works when there's a DP 34 switch in the setup.
If you were really a Dishnetwork installer you WOULD know that a DPPlus Twin LNB will NOT work witth a DP34 switch.

TheDishNetworkInstaller said:
Sorry I missed the extra P in his post.

Is there anything I can do to use the DP34 with my DPP twin and drive three receivers? I'm trying to avoid buying a DPP44 switch.
Thanks,,,Matt

Actually a DP+ Twin can be used with a DP34, but you have to use both outputs and the input feed is ignored and it basically makes the DP+ Twin a regular DP Twin

but adding a DP34 would require an extra line the 522 and the receiver he wants to add

n0qcu said:
If you were really a Dishnetwork installer you WOULD know that a DPPlus Twin LNB will NOT work witth a DP34 switch.
I thought that if you ran a cable from each output of the DPPtwin each cable could be connected to the DP34 and it would work fine. I read something to this effect for the install info. for the Dish 1000.

boy921 said:
I thought that if you ran a cable from each output of the DPPtwin each cable could be connected to the DP34 and it would work fine. I read something to this effect for the install info. for the Dish 1000.

I thought I tried this but the 501 wouldn't work. I have two cables coming from my dish. I connected both to the DP34 but my 522 had errors but would get some channels. My 501 wouldn't work at all. Is there something between the LNB and the incoming lines?
I'm learning this stuff but unfortunately it's after I have spent my money :confused: For what I paid for my 501 and what a DP44 will cost, I could have bought another 522 :(
Matt

Special Considerations
Refer to the DISH Pro Plus Twin LNBF User’s Guide for detailed installation instructions and for the special
considerations below.
• DP Plus dual-tuner receivers require a software download to complete the installation. A special
download procedure is included in the user guide.
• There is a 200’ cable length limit for DISH Pro and DP Plus dual-tuner receivers with some additional
limitations as detailed in the user guide.
• When connecting a Legacy receiver, a second receiver must also be connected to power the LNBF:
o If the second receiver is DISH Pro or DP Plus, the DP Plus Twin will be fully functional.
o If the second receiver is Legacy, the LNB IN port (for a second satellite dish) cannot be used.
• Legacy receivers will recognize the DP Plus Twin as an SW64 switch – this is normal.
The DP Plus Twin may be connected to a DP Plus 44 switch, but not to DP21 switches or DP34 switches.
• A DP Plus Separator allows a DP Plus dual-tuner receiver to be fed by a single cable – it cannot be used
to feed two single-tuner receivers.
• The DISH Player-DVR 921 cannot be installed using two cables directly connected to both DP Plus Twin
ports at this time. The 921 software will be upgraded later to add this support.
• The DISH 721 does not have support for the DP Plus Twin at this time. The 721 software will be
upgraded later to add this support.

Wow, that's interesting. I could've sworn I've heard them say the DPP Twin acts as a normal DP Twin when you feed it to a DP34 etc.

Maybe it still does they're just stressing that you'll no longer have any functions that make the DPP Twin special when doing it like that

I'm a dealer installer, but looked it up anyway on the E* dealer site.

It specifies. "A dpp twin is NOT compatible with the DP34 switch in any instalation." "Do not install these devices together in any system, including trunked system which includes DP34"

I don't know why it would not work after a DPP44, but that is of no interest to your config. anyway.

Take your DPP twin in to any retailer. They will trade for a DP twin. I know I would. :)

Remember the DPP sep will not work with the DP34 and is not needed.

So, just to make sure I understand all this, I get a DP twin and swap it out for my DPP twin. Are there two outputs on the DP twin? Assuming there are two, run those cables to my DP34 switch. Run two outputs from the DP34 up to my 522 and one each to my 501 and 311. Eliminate the separator on the 522 and run one line to each input of the 522? Can you swap out an LNB and not have to re-aim the dish? That could be a pain.

Thanks,,,Matt

I'm real close to just buying another 522 off ebay and not have to deal with all this other stuff. I think I could sell the Dp34 and the 501 for close to what I have in it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts