Dish & telephone connection

delaluz

Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
Raleigh
I'm a current Dish subscriber and I am moving to a new house in 4 weeks. I probably will go with Dish again.

The wall where I will have my main TV does not have a phone connection. Based on searching the web it looks like I can use the "Easy Jack 2" wireless phone jack which plugs into your electric outlets to provide a close phone jack.

I will probably go with Cable Visions internet phone (or Vonage). Based on my research should work with Dish.

Is anyone using devices like the Easy Jack 2 & Vonage (or other Cable internet service) to connect to a Dish DVR receiver? If so I assume that they work OK.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks!

Berto

I'm using Vonage with Dish DVR receiver and no problems. I do have a connection right there for my phone and network since I wired the house when I was building it.

You can also connect to internet and avoid fee if you have a VIP series receiver.

Watch out for cable company charges if you do not also subscribe to their programming.
I got by for more than a year on a 3-month intro before Comcast wanted more for Internet than I+cable. Bye-bye and on to DSL--still too much.
-Ken

You need a cable modem or a DSL modem. Its output can be wireless but you want the wired if you can. My DSL only had one output.

I now use an 8-way switch and 5-way switches at the end of 2 of those runs. The other local ones are to 2 722s and the wired input of wireless phones. So that is 6 of the 8 ways as the switch is symmetric w.r.t. its connections there is no separate input. The distant switches are for (1) computer and printer and (2) computer and 622 (some incompatibility there right now).

A router is appropriate on a cable network and/or with wireless, all shared by strangers.

Having everything downstream of the DSL modem, I need no additional filters on the lines. It would be desirable to have a cable modem upstream of the TVs as it must feed a larger (usually lower frequency) signal into the cable network.

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts