DISH - TiVO Case: Stay granted pending appeal

rdf249

Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
New York
This thread is solely for discussion of the granting of the stay pending the resolution of the appeal. It is not intended to be, nor will it be, a full discussion of all aspects of the litigation, the patent system, and etc. Given the past history of the Tivo vs. Echostar thread(s), we will take steps to ensure that the discussion remains on topic. If you cannot abide by those rules, do not post in this thread. Thank you.

Press release issued by DISH / ECHO today:

DISH Network and EchoStar Statement Regarding Tivo
ENGLEWOOD, Colo., July 1, 2009 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH) and EchoStar Corporation (Nasdaq: SATS) issued the following statement regarding today's ruling in EchoStar Communications Corporation vs. Tivo:
We are pleased that the Federal Circuit has blocked the district court's injunction pending our appeal. The Federal Circuit found that EchoStar "met its burden of demonstrating the requisites for a stay," including, at a minimum, that we have a substantial case on the merits. As a result of the stay, our customers can continue using their DISH DVRs.

Any thoughts on what this means? Chance that the contempt ruling gets overturned?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanls for posting this news release. The update thread has been updated.

Please keep discussion limited to this ruling. Thank you.

Those that are following this -- the press release says in the case of Echostar v. Tivo; but from reading that, I am assuming that was a typo? This is referring to the Tivo v. Echostar litigation (the original suit). Please correct me if I am wrong. I do not have access to Pacer. And the second case was just transferred from Delaware to Folsom's court in Eastern Texas.

When the appeals court granted the stay in 2006 during the last appeal, this is the quote:

Because EchoStar’s DVR was found to infringe both the hardware and software claims, to obtain a stay of the injunction, EchoStar must show that it is likely to prevail on its arguments concerning both sets of claims. Based upon our review of the motions papers, and without prejudicing the ultimate determination of this case by the merits panel, EchoStar has met its burden of showing that there is a substantial case on the merits and that the harm factors militate in its favor. Thus, the motion for a stay is granted.

Notice last time E* demonstrated both substantial case on the merits and the harm factors militate in its favor.

This time however as I suspected, the harm factors would not be in E*'s favor, the appeals court did not mention such factors in favor of E*. Therefore to get a stay, E* had to "establish a strong likelihood of success on the merits."

It appears E* had established just that, short of demonstrating harm factors in its favor:

To prevail, a movant must establish a strong likelihood of success on the merits or, failing that, must demonstrate that it has a substantial case on the merits and that the harms factors militate in its favor.

Without prejudicing the ultimate disposition of this case by the merits panel, we determine based upon the arguments raised in the motions papers that EchoStar has met its burden of demonstrating the requisites for a stay of the order, pending appeal.

Thanks jacy for that link and your post.

Guys, I have already had to delete one post and the dang thread has not been open an hour. This is not the same thread we had before; it is open strictly to discuss this news event. Show a little respect, so we can actually keep it open until it runs its course. THANK YOU.

BTW, two other items worth mentioning:

1) Judge Folsom had already stayed the E* declaratory case against TiVo pending the outcome of this appeal, and

2) Judge Folsom also had granted E*'s unopposed motion for a bond in order to automatically stay his 6/2/09 money judgment.

The 6/2/09 order by Judge Folsom contained mainly two items, the injunction and the money judgment, both are now stayed pending appeal.

This is just a ruling on the "stay", correct? It as nothing to do with the appeal of the decision of the original case, correct?

This is just a ruling on the "stay", correct? It as nothing to do with the appeal of the decision of the original case, correct?

YES, just a ruling on the stay - the stay is in place pending the appeal. It is definitely good for Echostar's case, but ultimately its the actual decision that matters.

it means the courts are at least being fair about the whole thing for once...and not just allowing Tivo to commit acts of extortion at will...

I'm sure the Tivo 'supporters' will whine for reasons I may never quite understand...but this is the best decision under the circumstances...

YES, just a ruling on the stay - the stay is in place pending the appeal. It is definitely good for Echostar's case, but ultimately its the actual decision that matters.
Agreed. Nothing changes except customers may continue to use infringing DVRs during the stay. My how I wish E* would just settle this matter already and for this case to disappear.

But then again...what would we in the peanut gallery have to talk about. :rolleyes:

Agreed. Nothing changes except...

I don't know if Rocky meant "nothing changes.":) The difference between a stay and a no stay is huge.

It is undisputed that this time around, the harm factors are not in E*'s favor, such was in agreement not just by TiVo, Judge Folsom, the TiVo supporters, and the analysts, but by me also:) In fact most analysts were surprised the appeals court temporarily stayed the order on 6/3/09. One of those analysts frequently quoted by the TiVo folks recently just said it was "highly unlikely" the stay would be granted.

The reason for such surprise and prediction was they only considered one issue, the harm factors, but not the issue of merits. Most did not think E* had any merits, in fact some predicted the appeal could be ruled frivolous.

Now it appears the appeals court three-judge panel had considered E*'s appeal having strong likelihood of success on merits, which was the reason E* got the stay.

My how I wish E* would just settle this matter already and for this case to disappear.

I recall you said several times E*'s chance for settlement had long passed.

Agreed. Nothing changes except customers may continue to use infringing DVRs during the stay. My how I wish E* would just settle this matter already and for this case to disappear.

But then again...what would we in the peanut gallery have to talk about. :rolleyes:

Remember...'infringing'....are they?

There is an appeal involved here...and questions all the way around regarding the courts decision...

With nothing proven any way you look at it, its still open, hence the stay...

As Jacy pointed out in other threads, the courts are well aware of their own faults, of which there are many...they admit their ignorance...chalk this up to one of the many checks and balances to limit the damage ignorance can cause...

Remember...'infringing'....are they?
Yes, the court found infringement, the Judge upheld the jury's verdict and ordered E* to disable all infringing DVRs, the appeals court upheld the jury's verdict, E* did not obey the court order and were subsequenly ruled to be in contempt of court. Did I miss something?

While E* receiving a stay while the contempt motion is being appealed is good news for DVR customers, it will not affect the ultimate outcome in which the appeals court will uphold Judge Folsom's contempt ruling. The only thing "not proven" is how E* will fare on their contempt appeal process...although the outcome is just a matter of procedure at this point.

The appeals court decision to continue the stay was a prudent and conservative decision in order to lessen the impact on millions of DVR customers (good thing) while additional fees and penalties will continue to mount up against E* during the stay. You can believe what you wish to believe, but the facts are the facts and no amount of wishful thinking will change them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)